Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

Cheap, that's exactly what people did in CA. If you notice that ebay auction the ATVs were license in CA. I always heard this "oh the width blah blah" "Have to make it into a 3 wheeler" blah blah. That didn't matter. You just had to follow the same requirements for dual registering a dirt bike. Though they gave you a "car" license plate, not a MC plate. There was/is a company in Napa, CA that makes the kits. It actually looks like that's the kit that was used on those on the eBay auction. You also then had to have on-road insurance (quote on my bike was 600-1200 a year!)

However, they closed that loophole. Starting 1/1/04 (or 2/1/04 if you already had begun the process) you can't change an OHV into a street legal vehicle. They closed it based on emissions (what else would they use in CA!) I wonder if you repowered the OHV with a street bike motor, including any cats, etc. needed to meet emissions, if you could do it? That's the only thing holding back dual sporting now for new stuff. It's back to an emissions issue.

I think the reasons you don't see quads being sold for street use in the US (unlike Europe, esp. Spain) is that there's no regularities across the states. Some states require very little to ride on the road (DOT tires, and a horn (the funky cheapo bike horns work), etc.) Some required a lot. I was surprised that it was actually very little in CA. Generally speaking you would need to add turn signals, horn, reverse lights, and high beam indicator on the controls (assuming you already had headlights w/ hi/low beams, tail lights, and brake lights.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think a blaster work? I am wondering if I should sell it and get a 4-stroke four wheeler.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

This topic is so frustrating but I believe the answer will be when manufacturers start advertising and promoting their machines as multi purpose --- for on AND off road. Until that happens the local authorities in each jurisdiction can do pretty much what they want.

You got to believe that most quads are at least as safe (in all respects) as most motorcyles. So why do most quad manfacturers so prominity and vocally promote their machines as "off road only". Once one of the main manufacturers make the change I think there would be a rush to follow from all the other manufacturers.

And what are the local authoriies going to do when Honda or Suzuki, that both have a long record of producing on highway vehicles, motorcycles and some SUV's, start manufacturing a quad for use on the road --- and off?

How can this process be started?

Old 12-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have read through nearly 300 pages of the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Statutes. It seems to me that ATVs have been overlooked in this state. We have four classifications of street vehicles in OK: cycles, cars, pickups, and trucks. ATVs fail to fall into either the cycle or car categories according to the definitions. As a result, there is no reason an ATV couldn't be street legal, it merely has to meet the same standards set for the other light vehicle classes. However, ATVs are frowned on by the highway patrol. The argument is winable (excuse the term) but it will take someone willing to challenge it in court. It will also be a loophole, not a permanent establishment as a legal highway vehicle.

~HoundDog

Old 01-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live in Texas and ride just about everything. I would like to get some help on making Quads street legal in Texas. I ride and race street bikes, quads, and dirt bikes. But I would love nothing more than to have my banshee made street legal. (SWEET!) With all the rider/racers I know I could get alot of letters of advocacy together. But I would need to no who to send them to, or what to do with all of them. If anyone in the DFW area is interested in helping please fill free to email me. I also am building a street quad right now with a GSXR1000 engine in it. (NO PICS until its done) I also would build anything needed to help in DOT testing and getting them legal in Texas. I have had about 17 street bikes, 8 quads, 10 dirt bikes and 2 motards. I also have driven a T-Rex (2 wheels in front, 1 in back, and street bike engine) that was street legal!

I currently own 2 Suzuki TLRs, 1 Yamaha Banshee, Yamaha 450 motarded, and a Suzuki GSXR1000

Anyone in DFW please email me for support!

Old 07-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am in Gulfport, Mississippi and would like to make my 660 Raptor street legal. Did either of you two MS guys get anywere?

Old 07-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

im in mississippi, and i've been emailing people and writing letters lately, because gas is 1.85 a gallon
give me a break.. i dont remember gas ever being that cheap in my life. its 2.40/gallon where i live and its still going up. i agree with you though. why arent atvs street legal? we have scooters mopeds, street bikes, how are these safer than atvs. i just dont see it. even if there were restrictions, it wouldnt be so bad you could have something similar to a moped registration where you arent allowed to go on highways etc, limit hp. if they were made street legal, going down the street to the store of to a friends house would be a lot easier imo

Old 08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

ndeed, I never got that far, and dropped it when based on the laws I was reading, I would have to get a tag and insurance at AUTO rates (not motorcycle rates as in other states). Because of these items, it is a bit un cost effective to go street legal, however, I do believe it can be done. The requirements as far as I have gathered are you would need Street rated tires, lights, horn. Take it to a licensed inspection shop, if you can get it inspected as road legal and it passes, then you can have it re-titled. Once re-titled, you can get a tag for it and insurance, then you are good to go.
BTW, I've been wanting to take my 'zilla against a raptor660. . . it's the only machine that I don't know for sure that I can stomp in a drag.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

O.K., I have spoken to the Nevada H.P. and talked to a trooper. He initially said I would just be pulled over period. When I said there was no laws in the NRS regs about ATVs and there are kits to convert to "dual purpose and street legal" he asked what was my purpose to do so. I told him the rising cost in diesel fuel for my truck, the obsession of emmisions based on fuel consumption in or around California (Las Vegas is now a So Cal suburb), and the street legal 35mph moped I nearly crushed on my way to work were all viable reasons. He agreed and said he would speak to the chief and get back with me. I also spoke with the DMV, they didn't seem to have much issue as long as the NHP O.K.ed it. All of the above told me it was a novel idea. I think there are more quads in Nevada than automobiles and this could be huge.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hey all, I am new to the forums, just doing a little surfing at work and I found this conversation pretty interesting. A couple of things to think about. As far as making a quad street legal, you all hit on the head with the D.O.T tires, turn signals, lights, brake light. There are two places that I know of that you can legally ride offroad vehicles (including golf carts) on the roads. 1) The state of arizona and 2) the catalina islands (not sure about quads there) The reason for Arizona is that all vehicles have to be registered with the state. They have street legal registrations and off road. All other states to my knowledge only require street legal registration.
Secondly, If you were to make your vehicle legal with the state as far as equipment, The other issue you would come accross is Insurance. I wont say there are no insurance companies that will write this, but I sure dont know of any. The problem is that each insurance company that does business in each state has to write with that state with what product, coverages and limits it will write. This means the state and the insurance company has to agree on what vehicles are street legal and which are not. In the state of az we have to cover orv's for road use. (same as the catalinas) But any other state it is not covered. So even if you were to get the vehicle legal with the state, you would be unable to obtain insurance. Kinda a catch 22.

edit: I missed a few posts and see that the guy in wyoming got his insured so maybe I am just talking out of my A$$. I would be interested in who insured it there.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: why not street legal?