Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

so im 15 and have no idea what i wanna do when i grow up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default so im 15 and have no idea what i wanna do when i grow up...

and i was thinking that i could become an encon officer.i mean theyre cool for the most part, they keep everyone safe and save lives and ride around on quads now! soooo does anybody here know what its like to be one? or like what you have to do to become one, like schooling and all that. well thanks.

Old 11-18-2004 | 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

At the federal level, a degree in law enforcement or forrestry is needed. Both fairly easy degrees.

Many states have similar requirements, but sometimes not so stringent.

And, don't worry about not knowing what you want to do. I'm 34 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2004 | 04:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

In MN they work for the DNR. You could try contacting the DNR office in your state.
Im sure the councilor at your school could get you the info you need.

Old 11-18-2004 | 04:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

yes i guess part of the reason i ask this is because i have a meeting with my counselor and parents on tuesday. its a standard thing in my school for 10th graders i guess...

Old 11-18-2004 | 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

Regardless what you choose, continue on to higher education after high school. Don't think that you will decide to go back to school sometime down the road after highschool, not that easy of a thing to do if you've been out for awhile. I'm 50 and decided 19 years after highschool to go back to get higher schooling. Boy......that is a tough one when you are working fulltime and taking classes at night. Thought my life had ended, work all day and go to class and study all night! I do not regret going back to school, but I did not accomplish my goal fo getting my degree. However, my thoughts are.....you never stop learning and if you can apply what you learn to your everyday life, then you have succeeded.

Think long and hard about your future, but make sure you continue your education. There is too much competition out there for work positions available. Do and be the best you can and you will go far in your life's endeavors.

Good luck to you young man!

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

with the amount of manufacturing and technology jobs going outside the U.S.A., try to avoid these if at all possible. Many times you might find that your state is strapped for cash and becoming a Conservation Officer is going to be a difficult task. Schooling should be easy as mentioned before, but getting the job is another story.

Try to get into something that won't go away in your lifetime such as a lawyer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] , doctor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] , or even real estate. Personally I would choose the real estate option. With the amount of houses going up that cost $500K, many real estate agents get a 7% commission. That's $35k per house (this is almost what I make per year). Get into the right part of town and you'll be doing well.

Whatever you do, make sure the benefits are the best available.

Old 11-18-2004 | 09:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

yes i could always be one of those but like i dont think a doctor would quite be something i could do with my grades and study habits and all ya know? but its good that ill be meeting with my counselor next week

Old 11-18-2004 | 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Zakk,

do yourself a favor and change those habits now before it gets too late. I'm speaking from experience. I quit school with 3 weeks left in my Jr. year. Busted my hump to get where I am today and am very fortunate to have a great job making $44k/year with great benefits. To top it off, I have a wife who makes more than me. But it was, and still is, a very tough road to travel. No fun at all. The doctor or lawyer thing can be expensive schooling. Many of those people file bankruptcy because they have trouble paying the student loans.

Only you can control your future. It's what "YOU" make of it. "Good Luck" whatever you decide.

Old 11-19-2004 | 05:20 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

From my experience, get your study habbits straightened out. I didn't. I went to school and just made it through. If I try, I can pull the 4.0. But I didn't try. I did what I needed to do...if that. Ended up the last semester of my senior year taking 2 english classes. BARF. And definately go to college after you get out. I went to comm. college and have my AA. But it's not worth a damn thing. Now I'm too busy and can't really afford to go after my BA/BS like I would love to do. For that matter, even a Masters. It's all about education now.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-21-2004 | 06:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

o ya i dont get bad grades by any means. i usually average a 90%, but this term i had a 79%, and that was half-assing every single class. but i think the grades are so poor cuz i bought a ps2 to complete my next-generation consoles. sooo grades are gonna be up this quarter!

when i told my mom i was thinking about this, she said definately not because they dont make enough money (32k-37k her in NY). bleh, what does she know? she works 2 jobs and is always too tired to do anything after work. after talking to my dad about it, he said don't listen to her and make sure i do whatver i will like. because obviously the worst thing is to get stuck doing something you hate. he admitted the pay wasnt that great, but since its a state job there are no doubt awesome benefits and insane amount of money for working overtime. and i am thinking overtime means sitting in your jeep on the railroad tracks waiting for people to ride right by you (how we got caught once) or just cruising around on the quad waiting for trouble

since my dads moving to north carolina, i will stay here to finish out high school (sophomore now), then i will probably go out there and live with him (the property he is buying has a trailer on the lot). but that depends on how much of a difference there is in pay between the 2 states.

and if i remember correctly, my average in biology (living environment) was like a 90% all year. hmm, im liking the sounds of this. oh ya and i hunt too, so theres even more reason for me to want to do something like this.

Quick Reply: so im 15 and have no idea what i wanna do when i grow up...