Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

so im 15 and have no idea what i wanna do when i grow up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005 | 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default so im 15 and have no idea what i wanna do when i grow up...

Whew.. a lot here to work with... First off, find something you like to do.. not because it is for the money, and not because you want to be lazy and collect a paycheck either. Sounds like you fall in the latter category right now... and when you think about it, don't you think you are selling yourself just a little bit short? At your age, you have not seen or done enough things to even have a clue what you want... Probably haven't been more than a few days outside your local area... You really need to get out there and see the world before you decide.

Now I am not talking down to our DNR folks, they for the most part have made a commitment that goes way beyond thinking about their personal gain... it is called service to your fellow man. Not because they find it easy to sit in a truck and collect overtime. They do it for a reason. Just like police officers, firemen, military etc... Not to get rich, or to take the easy road....

If you find you don't wish to be an academic after high school, then at least find something that you can learn a trade. Whether it is a bricklayer or electrician, plumber or mechanic, there are plenty of schools where in two years or less you could be working full time doing something that you enjoy...

I am in that 50 year old range... have retired once from the military, and now work as a consultant to the government.. and yes I make more money than I thought existed when I was a kid... but that does not mean I am happy.. and if the truth be known, I'd rather be doing something else entirely... but family commitments keep me going to work every day for now...

You are at a point where the whole world is at your feet. Make your choices for the right reasons, and don't settle for something because you are too lazy to work hard at it. Don't go for the instant enjoyment deal.. the real world is nothing like the rosy one you are living in right now... and your generation is going to have it rough compared to mine.. so you had better be prepared for it, or it will eat you alive.