Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004 | 10:16 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Question?

Is it just me or are four wheelers destroying the sport? I went to a local spot yesterday and the quads managed to destroy it in four days. They brought the cops, people complained...yadaa, yadaa, yadaa. Be smarter if they wore helmets too, a guy was taking pics and giving them to the cops. Nice shot of a quad guy flipping the camera man the bird with a beer in his hand.

Old 11-24-2004 | 10:24 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Question?

To me that is just like saying gun's kill people. It is the idiot on the quad that is the problem. What I dont understand is why it is almost always a idiot on a quad?? Why are idiots drawn to quad's?? That is my question. About 20 year's ago it was idiot's on atc's that eliminated 3 wheeler's completely.

Old 11-24-2004 | 12:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Question?

Its so true. We are trying to get a legal place to ride here and its always the morons on the quads screwing things up. I had a quad and it left a bad taste in my mouth after hanging out with those guys. I like my bike much better

Old 11-24-2004 | 12:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Question?

TomTom2, I am with you on this. I still dont understand why these idiot's are drawn to quad's and not dirt bike's. Maybe it is because the quad appears to be a no brainer to ride. I am not sure.

Old 11-24-2004 | 05:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Question?

I think mywifesquad is on to it. People see riding a quad as a no brainer. For the most part they see it as just sitting there and going, while a MC takes constant balance. I do think for most people, it takes more skill to ride an MC, but to take both to their limits, it takes a LOT of skill. Ever watch a dirt bike rider who's never ridden an MC take a corner fast? We had to show some MC riders (actually they are MC cops at that) how to take a corner. It's just a different skill involved.

The funny thing is, an MC is easier on the body. They are only getting bumped around on a single axis (font to back) while a quad throws in another exis that tilts left and right.

I prefer to just see the bad people who are part of the sport as the morons. It doesn't matter what they ride. They are ruining it for everyone. Places get closed down to both MC & ATV. Not just to ATV.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-29-2004 | 07:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Question?

Where we ride, it is the dirtbikers that ruin it. Last summer, two guys on dirtbikes were riding (racing) on a very busy one way trail when somehow one lost control, hit a tree, and died. Not that this guy is an idiot, maybe it is just a ride error, but the dirtbikers out here are the ones with the lack of protection making unsafe decisions. I don't mean to bash the dirtbikers and I'm not saying we don't have our share of idiot ATVers, but the dirtbikers seem to get worse and worse each time we go. I can't tell you how many times we've been passed on a narrow trail by dirtbikers, causing me to go off the trail to avoid a collision. Also, there is something about revving your engine in the parking lot and doing a burnout when you leave to hit the trail that I just don't understand. Even the safest looking riders do this. I don't mean to bash but I just don't want to lose our riding areas due to stupid decisions.

Old 12-01-2004 | 07:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Question?

The post bt mywifesquad is right on the mark. Its not the ATV's...its the idiots on the ATVs doing the damage. What to do about it? First, I'd recommend taking to the idiots. I'd recommend choosing words which won't make them feel you are the opposition but rather on the same side. Sadly, however, , I wouldn't bet heavily on this working. These people know what they are doing is stupid and harmful to our sport. Most simply don't (and won't) care regarless of whats presented to them.

These people's behavior, you can be sure, will bring the general public (and the environmental groups) down on us all. They WILL take action to correct the situation. The best thing to do here is make sure you VERY early to the table. That is to say...don't show up at the second or third meeting....show up at the FIRST meeting. See if there is any way to use your ATV's to help fix the situation. Don't be afraid to turn their a$$es in if you catch them breaking the laws or rules.

I don't mean to real preachy, but we don't need to be seen as just defending ourselves. We need to be part of solutions rather than showing up to negotiate solutions.

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 12-01-2004 | 11:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Question?

At one of our spots, since that guy got killed, the ranger has been out there a lot more, which is great because we've seen him kick out many idiots, like just last weekend this flatbed truck takes up the whole lot to unload their dirtbikes, they have nothing smaller than a 250 and there were 2 adults, 6 kids under 12 with no helmets or any protective clothing whatsoever!!! It was great because they were stopped and booted before they left the parking lot.

Old 12-11-2004 | 12:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Question?

i dont know why people cant respect their riding spots... do they like to screw themselves over

Old 12-12-2004 | 10:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Question?

we recently lost a local spot due to a 520KTM with a LOUD!!!! @$$ pipe that could be heard 1/2 mile away ( not exaderation) and a cop came and impounded his bike and warned everyone else that if they ride out there they wil lbe fined and their bike will be impounded...

Quick Reply: Question?