Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV'er killed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV'er killed

So you use the "do as I say, not as I do" method of instruction then... yeah, that is going to work real good. It sure worked with my kids... NOT!

What you are saying is that your child has to act responsible... but it is OK that you are not because you are an adult, and we all know that adults are not responsible right? Hmmm... now that is enlightening... Somewhere everything I have tried to teach my children has been turned upside down.... maybe I can have more fun acting like a teenager then.... My wife complains that I never grew up... maybe she is right... that would explain a lot...

Thanks for at least considering making him wear one until he reaches that magic "age".

Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

yeah some folks are to up tight

Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default ATV'er killed

The problem is the effect that poor decisions have on society as a whole. Traumatic head injuries are very expensive in both a monitary stand point, and an emotional standpoint. "Oh but I have insurance"someone will say. Well, guess what, you just raised EVERYONEs insurance. Insurance is a pooling of money to spread risk around. Maybe someone goes 5 years of paying insurance and never using it (with the exception of say your normal yearly physical, a cold here or there that requires a Rx.) Then you have a major injury. Yes, that's what it was there for. But if the injury could have been prevented, the insurance for everyone would be that much less.

This issue is about prevention, or lessening these traumatic injuries. When someone becomes incapacitated, they become a big drain. Hospital care (furing the initial treatment) is VERY expensive. Then the after care is a continual expense. Not just a one time expense.

The emotional/psychological impact of these injuries is HUGE. Think about days, weeks or even months of hospitalization. Spouses, Significan others take off work to be at someone bedside and that puts stress on them (physical, emotionanal and again monetarily). People worry.

I realise this issue is much like debates I have with people who chose to operate their vehicles unsafely loaded. They just don't care. The ones who do, upsize their truck to the appropriate sized truck. The fight with them is useless. So you go on to the next person, much like you would try to educate them, that wearing helmts IS cool.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV'er killed

i own 5 atv's,wife and 3 girls ages 7 14 16,they all must wear boots helmet chest protector googles,doesnt look cool,but helps protect,they should fine the stupid adults who let their kids ride unprotected,and for the adults who ride unprotected just one word;;;;;;;;natural selection......stupid people shouldnt breed

rodman

Old 03-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Originally posted by: rodman922
i own 5 atv's,wife and 3 girls ages 7 14 16,they all must wear boots helmet chest protector googles,doesnt look cool,but helps protect,they should fine the stupid adults who let their kids ride unprotected,and for the adults who ride unprotected just one word;;;;;;;;natural selection......stupid people shouldnt breed

rodman
man your a funny guy but then again smart a$$ should keep there mouth shut

Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATV'er killed

you know stupid people should have to wear a sing that says there stupid , so when they do some thing stupid you can just ride over them ,and use them as a jump ,,,,haha just joking ..

Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV'er killed

sorry jagger didnt know you was from ky.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Alright alright...let's stop bashing Jaggers...He is entiteld to his opinion and choice. Many of us do not agree with that, and hope that he would re-consider because we feel his example is detrimental to the sport as a whole.. but he is a big boy and has made his choice...

I wish you luck bud.. eventually you are going to need it. We all do at one point or another. If you won't wear one for yourself, all we ask is that you think about the impressions being made on kids around you.... After all.. we don't want them to wear one because it is the law... we want them to wear one because it is safer with than without one. We want them to enjoy their hobby for a long time... and wearing safety gear to include helmets are helping that happen...

Hope to see you on the trails my friend, so I can offer you one of my spares I carry just for the occasion...

Be safe

Dragginbutt

Old 03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default ATV'er killed

I am so happy with the way my 10 year old thinks. She wears the boots. gloves chest protector, Helmet and say's it looks COOL! I pulled her atv out of the garage the other day to wash it and had no helmet on and she came out of the house and was fired up. She informed me that I was grounded from riding for 2 days and she meant it. She watches Discovery health channel and see all kinds of head injury's. I cant stand to watch it ,kinda make sme sick to my stomach.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Out of the mouths of babes..... It illustrates that we are getting the message through.... and that even what we consider the most harmless act is noticed by children.. and they form many opinions at a young age that they have to live with for the rest of their lives....

The next generation is going to be plagued with problems we could not even imagine when we were kids.... Glad to see your daughter has taken control of her surroundings and is willing to take a stand... I sure hope you gave her a big hug, and reward that girl for showing you the light.

Quick Reply: ATV'er killed