Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV'er killed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV'er killed

Agreed... and there are a couple of things we as an industry can do... 1) we need to be engaged in the legislative process. Just providing a voice of reason, and to make sure that facts are accurate and presented without bias. 2) we as enthusiasts need to get behind the law enforcement community, understand why they are there, and support their efforts to enforce the rules. They are often caught in the middle on this, and cooperation with them makes more sense than treating them like the enemy.

When you think about it, all the laws are wrapped around two issues. One, the state wants to make sure you are paying your fair share and supporting the programs that they have in place to make all this possible. and secondly, all they ask is that you act responsibly. Those two items constitute the bulk of "Enforcement".

Responsive persons register their machines, purchase the temp licenses, wear the required gear, are courteous to others on the trail, ride in a safe and sane manner, cross roads IAW local laws,... in short, are good citizens. Unfortunately, there are enough of the bad elements out there that think rules desigend for the betterment of the whole do not apply to them.... They would rather play games, damage private property, and make a general nuicience of themselves.

I fully support the active presence of law enforcement. That does not say I want to get into a argument about the manner in which the enforcement is carried out, but I do support the fact that they are out there protecting the majority....

Let's face it.. if you are in compliance, what do you have to worry about in the first place?

Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

[quote]
Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
"...Agreed... and there are a couple of things we as an industry can do... 1) we need to be engaged in the legislative process. Just providing a voice of reason, and to make sure that facts are accurate and presented without bias....."

If we could take care of the divisions within our own community (motorcyclists trying to split us all in half and cowboy orv leadership who equate simple trail issues with gaining control over the free world as we know it)...I think we'd have a chance. As it is now, here in Michigan? (a state with more trials than most states combined will <u>ever</u> have)....we need to start calling some of these guys out for just <U>who</U> they are and just exactly what they are doing to our sport. If you don't encourage people to participate in the process.....what chance will there ever be that any of this younger generation will ever gives a darn about it?

"....2) we as enthusiasts need to get behind the law enforcement community, understand why they are there, and support their efforts to enforce the rules. They are often caught in the middle on this, and cooperation with them makes more sense than treating them like the enemy..."

Just a great synopisis of what needs to happen, DB. I have been kicked off of more sites than I can count for simply telling some snot-nosed kid that his forum recount of running from the law or his derogatory reference to the officers of it; was not only inappropriate...but setting a bad example for others his age. The bigger problem we have is that there are plenty of quote/unquote "adults" out there who won't base the attraction of new members to their club with this partnership in mind and out at the forefront. Membership in many of these organizations is based more on a willingness/ability to pay (and retain that revenue) rather than focusing on a few quality members who believe similiarly and 9 times out of 10 do all the work anyways.

".....Which comes downWhen you think about it, all the laws are wrapped around two issues. One, the state wants to make sure you are paying your fair share and supporting the programs that they have in place to make all this possible...."

Which they should! (I'm witnessing a club in KY right now who is encouraging their membership to embrace the term "free" and scoff at places like the "pay to play" H/M system).

"....and secondly, all they ask is that you act responsibly. Those two items constitute the bulk of "Enforcement". Responsive persons register their machines, purchase the temp licenses, wear the required gear, are courteous to others on the trail, ride in a safe and sane manner, cross roads IAW local laws,... in short, are good citizens...."

Well said.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"...Unfortunately, there are enough of the bad elements out there that think rules desigend for the betterment of the whole do not apply to them.... They would rather play games, damage private property, and make a general nuicience of themselves.I fully support the active presence of law enforcement. That does not say I want to get into a argument about the manner in which the enforcement is carried out, but I do support the fact that they are out there protecting the majority.... Let's face it.. if you are in compliance, what do you have to worry about in the first place?....."

I don't want to get into an argument over over-zealous officers either; as anybody with half a brain knows that they are out there (it's a fact of life anywhere you go). Then again, how many of those same officers have ever given a hard time to those who actually support what they are doing? If you join a club <u>who make no bones</u> about supporting enfocement in your favorite riding area and you then display that club sticker with <u>pride</u> when stopped by the law....do you want to feed me some story about how that local LEO has been all over you for NOTHING?

Great post, DB; I'm sure I'll reference it later to quickly get a point across more efficiently than I often do.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

By the way, DB; I just love lines that shut people's mouths and <u>end</u> stupid debates (another past-time the snowmobilers ended quite some time ago when they progressed to their multi-thousand dollar anti-drinking campaigns....see how the older generation operates?):

From your post above:

"...Let's face it.. <u>if</u> you are in compliance, what <u>do</u> you have to worry about <U>in the first place</U>?....."

Hm? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]