Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005 | 04:27 PM
|
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed

Washburn County WI (Spooner/Shell Lake) has earmarked $104,800 for trail building and maintenance. They will be putting new bridge decks on several bridges on the Wild Rivers Trail. Materials have been purchased. Manpower is needed. If you can help, call 715-635-4490.

The program also includes extending trails in the Minong and Spooner areas. Much of the work will be done on weekends, so come on. Volunteer! Let's "git 'er done!" We atv'ers need to do more than just ride on those trails!

Old 04-03-2005 | 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

Wow thats amazing. I wish Minnesota would get its act together and be more ATV orrentated. MN has the riders but needs the nice trails and understanding of ATV's that Wisconsin has

Old 04-09-2005 | 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Polaris600.. don't sell your state short... there are a lot of people actively working to improve things in MN... YOu just haven't dug deep enough to help be part of the solution.

Deep laker... I really wish I could be there to assist. living 1500 miles away does not help matters... but I will be with you in spirit. Please do me a favor, take some pictures and post them here for all of us to see the positive outcomes that can occur when enthusiasts and authorities get together in a state of cooperation. It will be an example for all to follow and use in their arguments.

Did you ever manage to contact that guy concerning the grooming and trail building equipment we were discussing a while back? ALso, I suggest you look at the techniques depicted in the trailsamerica website on bridges, hillside support etc...

Good luck to all of you and I sincerely hope you get a ton of help. Get some of the monkeybutt trail riders involved too

<U>I hearby issue a Dragginbutt's challenge to all the riding clubs in the area to see which club can log the most volunteer hours in this most worthy cause...</U>

Old 04-09-2005 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Deep where are u from? I live down here in Cumberland will give that # a holler see where & when can help. Thanks for the heads up. Had heard nothing about it.

Old 04-20-2005 | 12:43 PM
|
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

They'll be re-decking the bridge over the Namekagon River on Saturday, April 23. Meet at the Prime Bar in Trego at 8 a.m. This is the largest bridge on the Wild Rivers Trail, and they'll need 20 to 30 people.

Upnort--I'm from Sarona.

Old 04-28-2005 | 08:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

I finally got some work pictures to post. I kept getting an "error 103" message, but it looks like some got on there somehow. Anyway, there's still a lot of work to do and we sure could use some help. Meet at the Prime bar at 8 a.m. Saturday, or just turn off Highway 53 at the Prime and that street will take you to the trail. Turn left to get to the bridge. They are letting workers drive their vehicles on the trail. It's an old railroad bed, so cars and trucks don't hurt anything, and there is room to park along the edge.

Old 04-29-2005 | 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Deeplaker, were you able to contact some of the clubs in WI and ask for volunteers? Sounds like a perfect community service project for them...

Also, I share your concern about rutted trails and the need for clubs etc to step up and work on saving the trails they have now. Did you ever look into that grooming machine we discused a few months ago? (Pull behind grader and center dump trailer for laying rock)

Old 04-29-2005 | 11:56 AM
|
Pro Rider

I have looked into the trail grooming equipment and have started a file. It is good to know there is equipment available to fix trails and take away reasons for people to hate ATV's. I know I would sure feel a lot better about being an ATV'er if trails didn't get torn up so badly.

Right now, however, the focus is on redecking bridges. There are 21 of them on the Wild Rivers Trail between Rice Lake and Solon Springs, Wisconsin. Most are converted railroad bridges. I don't know how old the decking on them is, but I can see where boards are cracking and breaking.

It would be a major blow to ATV'ers if a bridge had to be closed, leaving a gap in this 96-mile trail, which connects to so many other trails in Northwestern Wisconsin. For a big picture of the massive trail system that ATV'er can enjoy here, check out http://www.watva.org/atvnwwi.htm. Unfortunately, too many younger ATV'ers take if for granted and have no idea of what it took to build this system and the work that is needed to keep it.

Old 04-29-2005 | 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

You can't blame the apathy on the younger generation... after all they learned much of it from our generation... One thing that does warm the heart is the numbers of the younger set looking for ways to get involved with the issues, projects etc. Unfortunately, they are not always informed when and where things are happening. I'd sure like to find a way to motivate the whole group to assist in this most worth cause.

Old 04-30-2005 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

i would love to be able to come up and help,but its just a bit too far away to be able to squeeze in at this time of year.i have been a big fan of wisconsins trail systems for years,and a bigger fan of northern wisconsin for decades.

Quick Reply: WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed