Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005 | 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed

Hey Deep,
Called up there and whoever answered said was going to have someone call back but never did, tried couple more times no answer. I would be avail the 14/15 weekend if could be of help.

Old 05-02-2005 | 12:37 PM
|
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default WI Trail Building--Volunteers Needed

Hey upnort:

Sounds like the forestry department dropped the ball on you. We got a lot done on the Namakogin River bridge last Saturday. Some retirees might finish it up during the week. Since the fishing opener is Saturday, there probably won't be much work done this weekend.

There are still a lot of bridges to go, plus the two trail extensions. Next time you call that number, ask for Mike Peterson. He's the county forester, the head guy. Interestingly, he's been one of the volunteers. Many county foresters want to close trails to ATV's, but Mike is spending his Saturdays working on ATV trails. His top assistant has been right there with him. They bring county equipment, including a generator, trucks and an endloader with pallet spears for moving planks from the trucks to the bridges.

I've tended to feel glum about all the negative public reactions to ATV's here in Wisconsin and around the nation. But, it's not all negative, especially here in Washburn County. After working with these guys, I have a better realization of how lucky I am to be able to ride here. They've got my help any time they need it.