Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

state trail stickers in minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default state trail stickers in minnesota

ok yes first off i know this is an atv sight but i was to lazy to sign up for a snowmobile sight to ask this question. ok new for this year in minnesota you gotta buy a lil sticker and put on your snowmobile if you wanna ride on state land. i think it is like 16 dollars for 1 year or 35 dollars for a 3 year sticker. does anyone know where this money is going to? if it would be to our local snowmobile club that grooms the trails i would have no problem with this but i am wondering if it is just the DNR trying to squeeze more money out of people. and another thing is what about tourism people coming from all over for a couple weekends each winter why should they have to buy this lil sticker so won't this in turn hurt tourism? just wonder if anyone knows some facts on this subject.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

From a 10/4/2005 New release:
"Revenue generated from the sale of the state trail stickers will help fund the grant-in-aid program," Danger explained. "The additional funds will be added to the monies raised from snowmobile registrations and used for trail maintenance and trail acquisition."

Here is a link to the page.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

thanx revo it is nice to know that some of that money will be going to my local snowmobile trailblazers club but snowmobiling is just getting to expensive i have decided to sell it. seems like everytime you turn around lately with anything to do with the outdoors you gotta buy some other special permit for something or other which is starting to push me away from alot of these types of activities and more towards my dirtbike and if that gets to restrictive well i guess i will be building my own track [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why do snowmobilers have to pay to use the trail?... Why don't the bikers or walkers have to pay a fee as well.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Borgy
Why do snowmobilers have to pay to use the trail?... Why don't the bikers or walkers have to pay a fee as well.
Here in Idaho, any motorized vehicle, including atvs, motorcycles, camp trailers, and motorhomes, all need stickers.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

grooming the snowmobile trails costs money and if it wasn't for our local trailblazer snowmobile club they wouldn't get groomed. beings polaris and arctic cat are so close to where i live snowmobiling is a very popular sport in the winter and the lil 16 dollar sticker won't make or break me but for as few miles as i put on sled each year i see it as another expense therefore am gonna sell my sled got the slip all written up just gotta get it sent into the paper. i guess i just don't see the expenses stopping on alot of this stuff thats why i am going to a dirtbike and if i make a track on my own land they can't make me buy stickers to plaster all over it that says i can or can't ride here or there.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Think of it this way.

Everybody pays their trail monies. They go into a big fund. Local Clubs apply to get the money to support and maintain the trails you ride on.

ATV registration dollars as well as some gas tax go for the same purpose.

It is a small price to pay. It isn't easy work putting out signs, clearing off rocks, grooming trails ... all on your free time. If you can't afford to pay the small fee, considering getting out and helping do some of this. Then tell me the fee is too much....

Old 02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

what is the money i pay for my snowmobile license going for and you said it some gas tax??? why should i pay even more for another sticker? the hood on my sled is to pretty to clutter up with these stickers i just won't ride on their groomed trails i always liked busting my own trail anyways. beside i am not 100 percent convinced as to where that money is going anyways. besides isn't some of our tax dollars that come out of every one of my paychecks going for this? i think i have more then given my fair share.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

maybe they should have raised the normal registration fee,instead of adding another sticker. The info I read said if they didnt raise more money they would have to close trails. And that trail pass money was going back into trails. I guess when you look at what you spend to own snowmobiles, the trail pass is well worth the money. I have a groomed trail 1/2 mile from my house. Now if they would open them up to ATV's in the winter when theres no snow ,that would be cool. I know wisconsin adds alot of ATV trails in the winter that are closed all summer. But WI really has a good trail system.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: whaleeditedbymoderator
maybe they should have raised the normal registration fee,instead of adding another sticker. The info I read said if they didnt raise more money they would have to close trails. And that trail pass money was going back into trails. I guess when you look at what you spend to own snowmobiles, the trail pass is well worth the money. I have a groomed trail 1/2 mile from my house. Now if they would open them up to ATV's in the winter when theres no snow ,that would be cool. I know wisconsin adds alot of ATV trails in the winter that are closed all summer. But WI really has a good trail system.
Just a quick clarification............If you guys don't have snow in the winter, what part of the year do you ride snowmobiles?

Just curious,

Ron

Quick Reply: state trail stickers in minnesota