Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Laws in Va to make a Atv street Legal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride in Virginia or North carolina

I was wondering if any one was familar with the Virginia laws on how to make an atv street legal. I see the kits for the turn signals and lights and stuff but don't really want to waste my time and money if I still wouldn't be able to ride on the road. I tryed the Dmv but they were no help. Any one have any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Laws in Va to make a Atv street Legal.

Not in VA Dan... in fact they do not even recognise ATV's in general there. The administration has repeatedly refused to address safety laws, registration etc... as it is seen as a possible drain on the state resources. Virginia may be for lovers, but they are not the ATV rider's friend.

I spoke with former governor Mark Warner about it briefly at a Democratic rally in my local area and only got a scared look in respnse... Current administration is a continuation of Warner's policies.

For those of you wondering about him, Mark Warner stands a very good chance of running for President in the next few years. Might even win the deal... so keep that in mind when considering your votes.... He leans to the side of environmentalists...

Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

this is an older post but have there been any changes?
I was on I-64 near williamsburg the other day and saw a pickup with trailer towing a golf cart looking vehicle. The golf cart had Virginia tags on the front and rear !! How do you make that happen?

I'm not wanting to make an ATV street legal as much as a UTV. I know you can buy dune buggy kits and assemble your own buggy and have it registered and licensed because a guy at work got one last year.

Now here in Virginia if you buy a new ATV you have to title it with DMV !

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

No changes I am aware of. Also, note that we just lost the track in Dinwiddy. Not enough interest to keep it open.

I have to say I'd think twice about riding on the street anyway. they are way to wicked on the road at speed. ATV's on the road will put us right back into the position that 3 wheelers were in back in the dark ages. They are not made for the street.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

It is legal to ride ATV's on roads in my area, mainly because highway departments don't want riders to tear up the ditches. In fact, there are signs that say ATV's must stay on the pavement, and there are fewer ATV accidents than regular motor vehicle accidents. However I have read news reports of fatalities in WI and MN this summer. One report quoted a DNR official as saying that ATV tires are designed for soft ground and the sidewalls will collapse when making sharp turns at speed on pavement. If that is true, that might explain why states like VA are reluctant to legalize riding on roads.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well if people would do it in moderation... the problem is when they tear down the road to see just how fast they can go. That is when they get into trouble. You can ride them on the roads in certain areas in West Virginia as well around the Hatfield McCoy, but they are limited to 15 MPH for the most part. I can understand in WI not wanting to get the land owners all PO'd, but I still feel that ATV's are made for dirt or loose road conditions and not for on HW use. Snowmobiles get away with more because the ground is hard when they are running. Of course you know all that though...

Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Not in VA Dan... in fact they do not even recognise ATV's in general there. The administration has repeatedly refused to address safety laws, registration etc... as it is seen as a possible drain on the state resources. Virginia may be for lovers, but they are not the ATV rider's friend.

I spoke with former governor Mark Warner about it briefly at a Democratic rally in my local area and only got a scared look in respnse... Current administration is a continuation of Warner's policies.

For those of you wondering about him, Mark Warner stands a very good chance of running for President in the next few years. Might even win the deal... so keep that in mind when considering your votes.... He leans to the side of environmentalists...

Your state has a D.C./Maryland outlook on laws...Unfortunately jersey,maryland/dc area has some of the dumbest strictest laws in the country and sorry bud evan if your from southern virginia the bs laws affect you also evan thoe its a different world down there....thank your gov. and all the yuppie politicians/go with the flow robots living in Alexandria and Arlington lol

would be cool thoe

Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Faf
Trailblazer

I hate Maryland................Lived here all my life and dying to get out.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Faf
I hate Maryland................Lived here all my life and dying to get out.

It can't be as bad as NY. The morons in Albany have this state all screwed up.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

If you need a reason why?

Antonio D. Flores, 21, was on a 2005 Yamaha on Poplar Road, about a mile north of Mountain View Road, when the accident took place about 11:15 a.m.

State police Sgt. Les Tyler said Flores was riding with at least two other people on four-wheelers when he passed a car at a high speed in a no-passing zone.

When he tried to get back on the right side of the road, Tyler said, he lost control, ran off the right side and struck a bush. The victim was ejected from the four-wheeler and hit a tree.

He was taken to Mary Washington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The women driving the car he passed witnessed the accident, Tyler said, and called for help. Trooper J.J. Keen investigated.

Tyler said it is illegal for off-road vehicles to be on public highways. Those caught using them on public roads are subject to traffic summonses.

Quick Reply: Laws in Va to make a Atv street Legal.