Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why arent quads street legal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why arent quads street legal???

ATVs can be made street legal in Arizona. You just need to add a horn and a mirror. Then get insurance and a plate. I've seen a Banshee on the freeway and he was keeping up with traffic.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Deeplaker60
I keep seeing postings about control problems with ATV's on paved roads, but I just don't see it. I've been riding on paved roads for years and haven't had any problems. I do slow down for turns and don't take chances. Whenever possible, I put the wheels on one side on the gravel shoulder when making a sharp turn. That's not always possible, but when it's not, there's no big deal. Seems like there is more of a problem when I accidentally leave my pickup in 4wd, then try to make a turn on pavement.
i live in the suburbs and lets just say they dont like it here. i wish you could tho. i think that as long as you have dot aproved tires, mirriors, indicators, and propper lights you should be allowed.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

I keep seeing postings about control problems with ATV's on paved roads, but I just don't see it. I've been riding on paved roads for years and haven't had any problems. I do slow down for turns and don't take chances. Whenever possible, I put the wheels on one side on the gravel shoulder when making a sharp turn. That's not always possible, but when it's not, there's no big deal. Seems like there is more of a problem when I accidentally leave my pickup in 4wd, then try to make a turn on pavement.

EXACTLY!!! Nobody agrees with me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

EXACTLY!!! Nobody agrees with me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have experienced it. Used to own a 350 Big Bear. Get it on hard pavement over 30mph, and it was an accident waiting to happen. Steering was way too sensitive. When I would turn a corner, it kept trying to veer in sharper, and the tail would start to swing out. I later moved to an IRS equipped Cat, and it's more civil on pavement, though it still should be driven with caution at speed on roads. Steering is just too sensitive.

Here in KY, we get quads on the road on occasion, especially in the rural areas. Typical road fatality is a young person who turns quickly to clear an oncoming vehicle, it fishtails, they overcorrect... right into the vehicle coming the other way. Bang. Dead rider.

Quads can be operated on hard pavement. Cat sells a 400 that's street legal in parts of Europe. Headights, turn signals, street tires, and a revised suspension. Probably wouldn't make it far off road, but it's apparently a good handling vehicle on the road.

And I run my big Cat down to a neighbor's farm on occasion without a problem. But... I'm well aware that it isn't that stable of a vehicle, and I'm duly cautious. Put an inexperienced rider on a quad on pavement, and they may be unaware of how evil handling it can be on hard surfaces.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm another one in AZ, where they can be street legal. I never realized it wasnt a nationwide thing. I'm actually going to get my motorcycle plate on Tuesday.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LW:..........In Idaho and I think in Wisconsin too, there are still small rural communties that going to a market, cafe, or historic town areas that are along dirt roads. During the winter, once the snow floor is down, a lot communties authorize ATV use through the towns, where it's paved beneath.

In NW Mn where I am from, it is legal for me to ride from one town to the next. I even park right in front of the bank!!! I have to stay off the paved roads except when in town, so no highway riding except to cross.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a gas-gas 300 and it made for the street and dirt. at 60mph it was not sensitive at all.I would drive it in the rain over any street motorcycle it that good. it all in the camber adjustment .

Old 12-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

Hi over here in Europa almost all of the quads are street legal. here in the last 1 or 2 years they just changed the rules about 2 strokes but other than that no problem. my Suzuki lt230 has plates and i can even drive it on the main highway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. (autobahn=as fast as you can[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) Now there is a big market for the Korean and chinese built quads that are pretty much only for pavement.

Laterz Brian

Old 12-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

I wanna go to Europe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: why arent quads street legal???