Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why arent quads street legal???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why arent quads street legal???

Dude!
Forget Europe!Come to Africa!
The weather is always good,
the $ exchange rate is 1 to 8,
two stroke bikes welcome,
plenty of open farm trails,
people are friendly,
WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR????
No street legal riding tho...sorry!
Have a merry x-mas & prosperous new year!
Benjamin.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

In Montana atv's can be made street legal also. Main restrictions that I can think off the top of my head is that they are forbidden on interstates. There might as well be restrictions for certain highways, but as I do not ride my 400EX on highways for extended lengths, so I don't worry about it. All I needed to do was throw a mirror on, wire up a brake light, which I just drilled 2 holes in my original rear lamp and throw 2 bulbs in and connected a switch via a spring to my foot pedal. A horn is also needed. Also, theres about 25-30 items that you need to have but most ATV's cover them as stock, i.e. you need 1 or more reflecters (rear light counted) and at least 1 but not more than 2 head lamps. Where I got my quad licensed it was all self check off but some less populated counties will a sheriff deputy to check over it (they'll just look for brake light, mirror, and horn).

Even with my HMF Sport pipe I don't have an issue with sound as I use the insertable silencer and its still much quieter than alot of these rice cars that are driven now-a-days. I've had no issues so far with cornering or stability on the pavement either. Peace officers are mainly aggitated if you do not have your proof of licensing for your plate on you when riding them. Insurance wise, as long as the quad is covered under your home owner's insurance policy I believe you are alright, haven't looked into that too much though.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

The reason is they have not caught on yet. I know what you?re going to say ?we have over a million of them" registered in the US but most ATV clubs and organizations cannot agree about this subject.
We had a State Representative in Iowa ready to draft a bill much like South Dakotas where the ATV would be licensed like a motorcycle over 200cc could be ridden pretty much everywhere but the interstate highway system.
The local clubs and Iowa OHV were invited for input and they did not agree at all. The bill did not get drafted and is tabled till there is enough grass roots support to bring it up again.
Iowa had already passed a law allowing ATV's to be used in road ditches and Iowa OHV lobbied to have it reverse asking all members not to use the ditches and support the reversal.
I have been in many states where it is legal and have enjoyed riding our machines there. I agree with the all in the camber statement and maybe the tires and disagree with the others trying to sight some type of flaw in the ATV?s design. The are safer than mopeds and motorcycles when training and licensing is required.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In MN since a Quad has 4 tires it's considered a automobile ,and would need a wind shield and wiper with signals ,break lights ,and head lights.but you could take a three wheeler and make it street legal since it has three wheel ,like the trik motorcycles you see out there ,

Old 12-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

i wish we could do something about this in n.j. but even if we had a few hundred people protest the laws, probably nothing would budge at all.

i think they should DEFINTALY be legal. it'd make life a lot easier for people. man , i could write a report right now but most of you already know. man, if i had to spend 2000buks to make my bike street legal, i'd do it in a heart beat. maybe make people take learning courses (mainly for turns on roads) and once you pass it, your set.

once of my dads friend is a cop and he said our town chief said his biggest priority is the quads and dirtbikes riding on the roads! if its sucha big deal, legalize em' and then you dont have to worry about it unless they arent registered or they're driving crazy!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: deanz400
In MN since a Quad has 4 tires it's considered a automobile ,and would need a wind shield and wiper with signals ,break lights ,and head lights.but you could take a three wheeler and make it street legal since it has three wheel ,like the trik motorcycles you see out there ,
Someone in AZ can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that AZ considers it a motorcycle based on seating position and the fact that it has a motorcycle motor in it.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

The problem that we as ATV riders in the U.S. face is that the regulation of all terrain vehicles is left up to each state, county, national forest, BLM unit or political sub-division. Some allow use on public roads and some don't. There is no nationwide standard like there is with automobiles or trucks. SOME EUROPEAN COUNTRIES ARE FAR AHEAD OF US IN THIS REGARD. In the U.S., there are tens of thousands of local bureaucracies each implementing their own ideas of ATV regulation. They are often diametrically opposed to one another. This fragmentation of rules and standards should be challenged.

Yes there are special safety considerations for ATV operation just like there are special safety considerations for motorcycle, aircraft or semi-truck operation. Standards and regulations regarding ATV use should be uniform nationwide like they are for other forms of transportation.

If you register and license a car or truck in any state you can operate it in any other state without special permits or restrictions because you are from out of state. That comes from federal law and standards.

The trucking industry and railroad industry have been successful in lobbying for more uniform laws. And they have won Federal court cases against local state authorities who imposed "special regulations" on transportation activities through those local state areas.

A favorable solution for ATV users can come as a result of a strong unified national organization filing class action legal challenges and lobbying the Federal Congress for our benefit.

We can use the National Rifle Association as an example: They strongly and successfully challenge and lobby in opposition to laws that restrict the safe, legal, responsible possession and use of firearms.

Right now a similar strong unified national ATV organization does not exist.

Please feel free to copy this and forward it to other ATV owners, organizations, law makers, forums or publications.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where do you live?