Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV age limit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ATV age limit

The issue isn't cost actually. If you dig into the CPSC guidelines, you will find the real culprit is the definitions of just what an ATV is, and the rules for mini class machines. I found it odd they do not allow headlights... I thought that was plain dumb... but that is what the "Rules" say. That is why I think they need ot be adjusted. AND they need to incorporate ideas from enthusiasts too.

Old 04-03-2008 | 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default ATV age limit

We have lights on out kids ATV's - use them just like we use the lights on the full size units - daytime running lights for safety.

I think the CPSC guidelines have now reached a point of being a detriment t safe riding. The "stupid parents" who either don;t know anything or just don't care will not follow any guidelines, no matter what. Parents who have a knowledge of ATV's and practive safe ATV riding for their kids recognize that many of the guidelines are so unrealistic that they present a danger if followed so they will ignore the guidelines too.

The ONLY reason for the guidelines is to limit liability. Until some guidelines are written byu someone with ATV knowledge rather than lawyers, we'll be stuck with these idiotic and ill-informed set of guidelines.

Jaybee

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default ATV age limit

Bubba daddy would send little jr Bubba to pick up his cigs no matter if the atv had lights or not. Of course your major error in this actual event is that a REAL daddy bubba wouldn't put his kid on a mini, He'd be riding a Raptor 700 like any self respecting jr Bubba should.

Some of the off-brand minis come with daytime running lights. Not positive but I think that some of the major manufacturers have taillights. Make no mistake, the guidelines are ALL about limiting liability. The train of thought about adding lights is that by adding lights it implies that the atv is designed for nighttime use, this despite the fact that daytime running lights could prevent some mini atv accidents due to the higher visibility. When the guidelines came out in the 80's in the wake of outlawing three-wheelers, the manufacturers jumped on board to avoid a complete ban on atv's. In the event of an injury, the manufacturers will claim that they followed the guidelines. Same is true for all the warning stickers, as well as the safety checklist that you must sign when buying new from a dealer. Can't say that I blame them but all those warnings are legal insurance policies. Why else would an AC700 TRV have a big warning stickers telling the rider to make sure that he shouldn't travel on a grade steeper than 25 degrees?

Even though the CPSC guidelines for ATV's have been defunt for over ten years now, it will be difficult to change of update them. Reason being is that you have:

1. Bubba daddy and all his like. He don't need no stinking guidelines - he didn't have them when he was a kid so his kid doesn't need them either. Besides, helmets can get in the way of your eyes or ears and can actually cause an accident. (Bubba daddy don't wear searbelts either). Sure, Bubba's an idiot, but the only way to regulate this is to have monitored riding areas with controlled entry points. Oh yeah, Bubba don't pay to ride anywhere, why should he, he's never paid to ride.

2. Your well meaning but uninformed parent who wants little jr to go riding with him wherever he goes. Sure he means well, he's just not thinking when he sticks his 10 year old on a V-force.

3. Experienced ATV riders who train their kids to ride an ATV that is size and power appropriate to their kids size and skill level.

The thing is, it is possible for kids from all three catagories to get hurt or die. To keep the liability from going back to the manufacturers there is always going to be redundant safety rules that can be pointed to to protect them. This is true for just about anything, not just ATV's.

Jaybee

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:29 AM
Range Rover
Default ATV age limit

I think this whole thing started about age limits. Here in Florida, come July of this year, anyone 16 and under are required by the state to attend a safety course to ride. As to what the penalties will be and how it will be inforced, I have not a clue. Especially on private land. But at the state and federal parks where we can ride, they will be checking. Even now in the Ocala National Forest, where there are designated trail systems in place. You must first attend a safety class even as an adult, to get a riding permit. I don't have a problem with that what so ever. Mainly because they can monitor and revoke riding privledges to those who ignore and violate the rules. It helps keeps areas open for those of us who do ride responsibly. Back to the children. First of all, it is the parents or adults responsible for them, to insure to the best of their ability, the safety of the child. Allowing a child on a 5 to 600lb machine, who has no concept as to what that machine is capable of is just plain stupid! There have been to many deaths resulting from this. And we all sit here and bitch about the fact that many states want to ban ATV's. And one of their main issues deals with safety and the amount of children injured or killed!!!!!!!!

I personnally know a few kids, though only 10 to 12, that do understand and respect what these machines are able to do. And the severity of injury they can cause. They know this because they have grown up in a closed environment of racing motorcross at a early age. They have had years of training already. And are more responsible than a majority of adults that I have seen riding. I praise their parents for instilling this with them and continually watching them when they ride.

I truly feel for the parents of a child that was lost or severly injured, due to an accident that could and in most cases, should have been avoided. And in a majority of these instances, these are family outings. I'm not wanting to be harsh, but you tell me who was and is responsible for these kind of trajedies. Not the child who had not a clue, but the adult who did!

Old 04-23-2008 | 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ATV age limit

If you had asked me a few years ago the same question, I'd probably jump up and down and scream my rights are being violated. Now days, I am not so sure. I believe that our sport is under attack, and in many ways, we enthusiasts feed their fires. Daily we read stories of a kid getting killed.. speed, riding a machine that is just too big for them, riding double etc... all things that we should know better and that statistically speaking, if adhered too, would greatly reduce the injury stats etc. This just fuels their need to save us from ourselves.

You don't hear about the thousands that DO obey simple restrictions on their riding. The important thing here is not that your riding is being restricted.. the real thing here is YOUR ABILITY TO RIDE is in jeapardy. Don't complain about having to follow simple rules. IF it means a choice between riding or wearing a helmet for example, then I'll wear the helmet. Simple choice in my book. Same goes for environmental damages. You take a little more care in your riding, and you take away their argument. Again, simple answers to simple problems.

If we had someone out there that would write about the GOOD benefits that ATV sport brings to families, to the choices kids make, to the many charitable activities that riders engage in, they would have to paint a different picture, unfortunately all you get is the negative. Because the positive doesn't sell the news... Even though ATV riding as a sport is growing at a phenominal rate, there are still many more people out there that form a negative opinion of ATV's based on the twisted reporting they get in the media. People that probably have not been within a mile of an ATV automatically become "Experts" when the subject comes up in conversation. And sadly, we don't do much to correct that impression.

I don't care how many years you have riden, you can always gain knowledge from taking a course. Why, even the old DB will be taking another course this weekend with the Mrs and the boy. I reckon I could teach the course, but the boy and his mother can use the knowledge... and I expect a little refresher on technique never hurts anyone.

Do I agree with mandatory rider safety training.. YOU BET!