Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

What is my liability if I permit ATVs on my Property?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my liability if I permit ATVs on my Property?

Originally posted by: ajd187
I have also heard that if your health insurance pays for your medical bills that the insurance company can go after the landowner to recoup costs. Not sure how true it is but that would certainly render any waiver null and void.
That's correct about any insurer seeking to recoup losses (such as medical bills) from the source of supposed negligence, the landowner and/or his/her insurer. Again, seek reputable legal counsel for any circumstance presenting potential litigation. Many liability insurers have exclusions for motorized accidents unless covered under a specific rider such as in commercial underwriting.

Unless you've been involved in litigation, you can't even begin to believe how fast legal bills accumulate.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, so, what is the answer??? If my long-time friends can be trusted not to sue, but their insurance companies can't, should I not let them ride on my land anymore? On memorial day there must have been 5 or 6 kids zippin around on quads at any given time. No one person can watch that many kids on 14 acres of trails. Even if you could, all you could do is watch something happen to them. Not like you could hurry up n move a tree out of the way. They have helmets, the quads are brand new, the parents are on the property and there are no hiden dangers because I patrol the trails removing fallen branches etc. It would seem to me that I am just as liable for personal injury on my land as the state is on its roads. If you run off the road and hit a tree, I don't think you will do well suing the state.

Surely there must be some documentation putting the burden of inspection and liability on the parent and/or theirself. Although I do own the land, I would no longer be responsible for inspecting and maintaining it (for the undersigned's sake). Furthermore, the parent is not an agent or employee of mine. He is also not a representative. Therefore, how could I be held responsible? The only thing I can see is that the insurance company might say the parent does not know how to properly evaluate my property and I should have known that. So now, do parents have to be certified trail inspectors and provide me documentation to show that??? Who would do the certification??? This is insane.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

The advice so far has been good. The waivers are ok if it makes everyone involved feel better. It won't help though. You're still going to get sued.

When you allow people to ride on your land you are exposing yourself to risk. If you just allow 2 or three close friends and family members to ride with you and only when you are present then that risk is at one level. If you allow 20 people permission to ride whenever they wish it is another level of risk. If you allow 100 people is is yet another. If you allow everyone....you might as well go hand the deed to the first guy to fall off his wheeler and save the legal hassles.

You also have to realize that if you do allow say 30 people to ride there, that sooner or later that word will get out and you will end up with uninvited guests and trespassing will become an issue. It will become something that will become a never ending plague. Many a well intentioned landowner has wished he had never let a visitor on his land in the first place after seeing the consequences down the road. This could not only be a problem for you, but could become a problem for the landowners with property bordering or near you. This could lead to unintended problems with your neighbors.

You will need a very good liability policy. You're going to want something to protect yourself and your assets. It's going to sound like you're insuring yourself for a shockingly high amount (it could very well be 2 million or 4 million dollars or more depending on your assets) but you must do it given the litigious society we live in. It isn't right and it isn't fair but that is the way it is.

I guess what it comes down to is that you have to be extremely careful about opening up your property to just anyone. Think very carefully and weigh all of the consequences before letting just anyone have access to your property. This goes for riding ATVs as well has hunting and fishing or any other activity. The wisest course of action in my opinion in just to allow a very few trusted close friends and family to ride and if necessary only under your supervision.

It's not fair but that's the way it is. We've got several things working against us. A society slopping over with lawyers and jackpot legal system. An increasingly urbanized landscape with fewer places to operate an ATV freely. Urban and suburban dwellers with ATVs moving to rural areas and not respecting concepts of private property and rural courtesy or etiquette. Makes things difficult.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

It's a shame that the legal system has basically become legalized stealing somewhat. Someone gets hurt on your property doing something foolish that they shouldn't have been doing, and they (or their agent) go after you for everything you have or ever will have.

It's an even bigger shame that someone like you can't safely allow a sport to thrive when you have the space available because of the fear of being taken for all you have. I'd love to have that much land myself, and while we're not quite as letigious here in Canada, we're really not that far behind. And who can afford to fence off that much land anyway??

I hope you can find a solution for you and your riding friends to be able to enjoy what you are offering.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Get Muddy4Life to tell you how he has trained kids/adults with liability concerns for years.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Some years ago, I used to let some of the locals ride my trails. Pretty challenging trails, lots of fun. But... they told their friends, who told their frends, and pretty soon I have total strangers tearing the place up, leaving trash, causing erosion, and waking me up with loud mufflers.

Didn't have much choice. Gate got locked, signs went up, and a couple of arrogant types that cut the chain on the gate got busted. It is ironic that you work hard to get your own piece of land, and then you have to defend it from everyone else who wants to come in and use it.

As for the liability aspect - it is very real, especially in this day of hungry lawyers. Your friends might not sue you, but their friends that don't know you might. You can try release forms, but they can still sue, and you still have to hire a lawyer to defend yourself. It's unfortunate that so many headaches arise from just wanting to do something nice and share the wealth, but there you have it. Just not worth the trouble.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

i recently got hurt in a state orv park. Yes my insurance asked if they could blame or collect from somebody ...i said no i was the f'in idiot that wrecked. Only a true **** of a family would sue... this is why you have medical insurance and way you GET INSURANCE and thats full coverage. If some insurance companies seen how others ride i bet insurance wouldnt cover most poeple

as for land for others to ride on I would love to do this but liability is to high get one idiot with a good lawyer youll lose your land just because he thought he could jump over a creek and railed into a tree or something. You find retards all over the place......5-7 drag racing and somebody decides to drive across the strip. or that 5 year old that dont know better

Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I don't think there is going to be a one size fits all answer on this subject. Each state has it's own statutes, and it's own laws to enforce. They may be similar, but they are all under the direct control of your state. I recommend ot everyone that they 1) Contact their state commision that handles insurance. 2) Research what the laws in their state say. Your local court house is a good place to start. Sometimes they can be very helpful. 3) Contact your local reps for several of the national ATV safety organizations. They are out there. Look for them. All have lawyers on their state boards to answer these types of quesitons. All that the the majority of laymen can talk about is in general terms and that is not always correct so do your homework.

I DO know that you might try contracting with a local riding club, and making sure the contract spells out they are required to have insurance etc. And absolve you of liability. Also, if you do go with a waiver, the number one big thing is to spell out in writing that riding ATV's is dangerous, and although you are giving them permission to ride, the responsibility still lays on their shoulders.

No matter what, you can still get sued I am afraid. The Blue Ribbon coalition has some info you might find interesting. Check it out. They may be able to suggest something. I know they were workingon legislation that relieves you from liabiliity. In WV, on the Hatfield/McCoy, the majority of trails are on private land, and the State has accepted responsibility in return for allowing the land ot be used.. it may also be a possible solution.