Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Attn: Kentucky Private Property Riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Kentucky Private Property Riders

Show some respect for your neighbors and get a pipe on your ATV if you're going to ride in your yards.

Otherwise it will soon be outlawed to ride on your own property!

That's not just Kentucky either, folks. It's happening all over. You really need to be considerate and think about what you're doing or you won't be allowed to do it any more.

Link\

Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good advise there. One certainly can't blame homeowners for complaining about the noise if loud pipes are ringing in their ears constantly.
Did you read their proposal in the newspaper link? "No riding of the vehicles on parcels of less than five acres, except for "utilitarian purposes" when the vehicles are operated safely and slower than 8 mph." What if you have less than 5 acres of land out in the middle of no-where? Thats obviously conjured up in direct retaliation against these peoples neighbors with no thought of how it affects everyone else. Thats the "me only" factor we live in today shining through. "No riding without the manufacturers' mufflers" Again......what about the people in the middle of no-where that are not bothering anyone with their loud muffler(s)? "When within 500 feet of any home, no riding except at the vehicle's minimum forward speed" Now I am picturing some kid riding his quiet atv down through his yard, not bothering anyone, and his **** neighbor getting him busted because of some stupid knee jerk law enacted.
So whats the solution? Require a stock or low DB muffler within a certain distance of a residence besides your own? OK, whats the next domino? Make a customer provide some sort of proof that he / she will only be operating in sanctioned racing events with their loud pipe? Ban them alltogether because because they disturb mother natures precious terra firma? IMO, one things for sure, atvers do not ban and work together for reasonable laws everyone can live with....and thats why atvers are easy targets for these knee jerk laws to actually go in effect.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

ahmen brothers!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing new, really. Same thing that happens when you run a lawnmower or dirt bike with no muffler. Tick the neighbors off, and they'll complain. They're just adding some legalese to formalize the complaint.

The answer is simple - don't irritate your neighbors. If you're out tearing around your yard every weekend with a loud muffler, they'll complain. Yes, you can get the super **** types, but you'll have trouble with them anyway. Out where I live, there's a 30 acre minimum for private lots. Good idea - I live out in the country to get away from that sort of thing. I don't want it following me out here.

Interesting to note - I live where I grew up. Those of us who have lived out here for a long time get along quite well. It's the city people that cause all the trouble. Think that if they buy a coon dog, that gives them the right to use my place. Keep waking me up in the middle of the night. That's how you get complaints, by acting disrespectfully.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

There is a town in Florida that has made it illegal for you to build an airplane in your garage because some ******* with friends on the city council didn't like that his neighbor built a kit airplane in his garage. It wasn't because of noise (he wasn't building late at night or violating the noise ordinance) he just didn't like his neighbor. One punk who is well connected or a donating supporter can really ruin things for the people who aren't causing a problem for ANYONE, so please be considerate. Most race tracks I've read about don't even allow extremely loud pipes, so why do you think your next door neighbor will?

-JNY

Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a question about youngsters riding on back county roads on quads and motorcycles.

I live in a small Indiana town on a basically dead end road where I get a newbie quad rider and this 10-12 year old on a 50cc motorcycle that rides up and back on the road I live on. I just moved here a year ago and its out in the boonies where one would think of peace and quite.

The quad rider has either a beginner's permit or license and the younger of the 2 is too young to have any license. They get to my end of the road and do wheelies and run and gun back and forth. They both wear helmets, but if one of them is by themselves and get hurt, their parents wont know for what could be hours.

Any opinions on youngsters riding like this?

Thanks
Shipper