Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

what do police do when seeing you on the road??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do police do when seeing you on the road??

I live in a touristy area of South Dakota (near Mt. Rushmore) and use the ATV to run errands around town, such as going to the post office. This is very convenient because otherwise finding a place to park can be difficult. Tourists often ask if that is legal and I just point to the license plate on the ATV.

Even though it is legal to do so, I don't like to ride the ATV on a highway because it just isn't much fun riding on asphalt. On the other hand, it is nice to be able to just ride out from the front door and not have to trailer to a trailhead. And, sometimes its fun to pass a pokey tourist ... like, really, really fast. ...... soooo juvenile.

More states should liberalize their ATV laws. South Dakota has lots of ag users, as well as hunters and ATV enthusiasts and they have managed to keep the law regarding ATVs sensible. Nobody has to break the law to cross a highway or ride a short distance ona county road to get to a trail. And, in fact, there's no logical reason to pass laws keeping ATVs off roads. Yes, ATVs should be registered, licensed and regulated, like any motor vehicle, and it is reasonable to keep ATVs off freeways, but all these restrictive laws in other states simply criminalize ATV users.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Range Rover
Default what do police do when seeing you on the road??"></title><script src=

I get stopped a lot by police, because I ride through my neighborhood to get to where I ride offroad.

They dont think its that big of a deal because I am not on a main road, usually they let me off with a warning and say "dont let me catch you doing this..." but Ive been brought home once or twice... its not a felony LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: xjakknifex

Anyone here in NY or WNY have any experience with riding on the road?</end quote></div>

For information in your area I suggest joining a local riding club. You really need to educate yourself to your local laws and the dues usually go towered advocating ATV use and trail maintenance.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pimpsmurf

The DUI thing is the same just about everywhere. The only way you will not get a DUI while on the road is if you are considered a pedestrian (like if you are in a powered wheelchair.) Bicycles/mopeds/etc are NOT considered pedestrians. One guy in Germany actually got stopped while drunk in his wheelchair and going down the middle of a highway. All they could do there was put him in the drunk tank overnight. haha

Don't drink and drive ANYTHING! Life is not a video game. We have basically no laws in SC on ATVs, but I'm really unclear about some of the local laws. They are conflicting and vague. I hope to get to the library soon and read the ATV laws again and see what exactly the rules are. Best I can understand, you can't have an ATV on any road, at any time, legally.

-JNY</end quote></div>

There was I gy in my home town that got busted for dui doing donuts in the middle of the street in him wheelchair

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default what do police do when seeing you on the rode??

i have been caught several times on the road. i have mostly been talked to about it. i did get a ticket for putting bleach on the road and doing burnouts at 11[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]m. and i acted like an *** once and they towed it and made me walk to the house. i dot it pack paid the fine. and have been caught since then. if your just taking it easy not doing it all of the time. and dont act like a dick if or when they stop you. you could possibly, but if they say to get it off the road id do just that.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

hes not a punk stop bein an *** i would have ditched the cop 2 forget a chat with the po po if i think i got a chance of makin it im goin to take it

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

Yeha well I don't give a **** about cops so I just put one of them farm triangles on my quad and I don't go over 15 mph so the cops can't do anything!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Here a triangle won't save you-- you have to register it AS a farm implement/vehicle which gets you a reg/tag for your vehicle. I don't even think you can register your quad as a farm vehicle.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Here in Ontario (Canada) each municipality gets to makes the bylaws Re: roads, with the exception of the big freeways where ATVs are not allowed. Near my cottage, the municipality says it's OK to ride the roads, but you must stay on the shoulder, keep the speed down, don't ride in the ditch, and have a driver's licence, a plate for the ATV, and insurance. It's great - if you need to drive down the county road to get to a neighbor's, you just do it. And we can also just ride down the road 2 miles to get to out favourite trail head.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

well it works for me.

Quick Reply: what do police do when seeing you on the road??