Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

YOUR Quad will be worth nothing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default YOUR Quad will be worth nothing!!!

A lot of Maine is owned by paper companies. For just one example "Plum Creek" has allowed 150 miles of trails on their lands in just the Solon/Bingham area alone (maybe a 40 x 40 square mile piece of land). Other paper companies are doing a similar thing. They have even built trails and bridges for ATV's at their expense. All they ask is that we respect their property and stay on the trails and to stay out of work areas, and they post big 8' by 4' signs designating a 'work area'. They can close it at anytime if they choose too - it is private property. You can fish, hunt and camp on their lands also - keep it clean, don't destroy, take your trash home with you and don't burn the forest down. With people that nice why would you want to not comply with their wishes. But 3 riders did and entered a work area, someone had a cell phone and within minutes the Game wardens, state police, and sheriff's where there and the 3 were caught and their machines impounded on the spot. It just goes to show that there are a few that no matter what, they are just not going to show respect or be responsible. These are the people that we need to get off the trails for good. And I would turn them in, in a heartbeat. I will work with the paper companies to help police or any other property owner that opens up their lands to include the State own lands. It they are going to help me by providing a place to ride then I will certainly 'scratch their backs', and help protect their property.

Old 06-03-2007 | 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tass

Buckaroo......the current Access travel management plan being put into place has nothing to do with safety or property destruction. It is a plan that does only one thing and that is to deny access. The plan is not just ATV but car, pickup, motorcycle and so on. If put into action (or should I say when) there will be 6000 miles automatically placed off limits to motorized use. In Oregon the USFS is the manager of the public land and "game wardens" only deal with wildlife. It sounds like use might be heavier in your part of the world. The places I ride the only person to see any signs I post would be me. The access travel management plan is nationwide on public land. The miles involved are different but the result is the same.......You will only travel routes designated by the USFS. On the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest we are supposed to be content because they are perfectly willing to designate 120 miles for use.......

Does Maine have National Forests designated? Yes it does. Contact a district ranger office and ask for a copy of the Access Travel Management Plan. I think you would find it interesting..........Tass</end quote></div>

In Maine Game Wardens have the most authority, over State Police, Sheriff's etc, they are also Fenderally sworn (federal agents) and can cross state lines. They can bust you for just about anything they want and they can go right into another state to get you too. You don't want to be messing with a Maine Game Warden.

Old 06-03-2007 | 02:07 PM
Range Rover

The Game Wardens sound much like the description of Federal Marshalls. I don't think Oregons are empowered to that extent but I am not sure it wouldn't be a good idea.....They are at least out on the land and for the most part are local residents and not USFS employees just moving through the land till retirement.
We also have large blocks of private land in Eastern Oregon. The largest one being Boise Capitol. They were allowing use of a beautiful tract of land on Mt. Emily untill abuse ( ATV,Motorcycle, and pickups) of the land caused them to change their position..........It is now locked. If individuals choose to violate good manners and common sense they need to be reported, caught, and penalized. If they are abusing the ground they are also abusing us.........Tass

Old 06-03-2007 | 02:42 PM
|
Trailblazer

Oregon game officers are state policemen. Just have differnt training. I have a friend that is one. Had to become a stste police officer and then got the fish and game training.

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

A little off topic but....
All the Game Wardens in Maine that I have met are very nice. More so than some State or Town Police that sometimes have a Barney Fife demeaner with a Gestapo attitude.
Yesterday I hit a check point with Game Wardens as well as several other people, well this one young fellow (20-25 yrs old) did not have a baffel in his sport bike. The Game Warden appologized to them for disrupting their ride for the check point. Cautioned them to be careful, that there were cars and trucks on the dirt roads traveling to and from camp sites and fishing etc. He said "I won't hold you up, now go and enjoy the rest of your ride and the day, and I hope the next time I see your bike there is a baffel in it." To me that did more for the learning process for that young fellow than to give him a ticket and putting a sour taste in his mouth.
You can talk with Game Wardens and they will tell you where the good fishing is etc, if you are low on gas they will give you some gas, most carry 5-10 gal of gas in their pickups. And it is the way it should be. The people like the Warden service as apposed to some other agencies.

Old 06-03-2007 | 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tass,
we've always had restrictions for ORV use in ANY of our 4 Natioanl forests here in Michigan, that is NOTHING new to us.

In addition to our current 3000 miles of trails, we legislatively just got approved for an additional 800 more miles of trails to be put on the ground. In addition to that, HB 4323 was just currently passed thru the House by a vote of 107-0 to allow each Michigan County or Township the authority to allow ORV use on the shoulders of their County roadways.

All the above would not be possible if we sat on our butts and did'nt face the greeneies/enviro wackies and the DNR, face/face...

We dont just sit on our butts here in Michigan and WAIT for others to do the work that needs to be done to protect our sport.

Old 06-03-2007 | 05:59 PM
Range Rover

Excuse me for asking for help for a situation taking place in the remainder of the USA. It is wonderful that Michigan takes such wonderful care of its ATV folks........Tass

Old 06-03-2007 | 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

We will always have places to ride in Michigan as long as we fight the greenies and their sister tree huggers. WE MUST ALSO POLICE OUR OWN AND MAKE SURE THEY DO THE RIGHT THINGS WHEN RIDING.If you sit around and WATCH your area's get closed down, your part of the PROBLEM. Get out and get INVOLVED--END OF QUOTE*

Now what part of my original post dont you understand?

Old 06-04-2007 | 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Your posts are quite clear. Please take a moment to review the posts in "They just closed Factory Butte in Utah" particularly the posts by "wolvydude". He seems to indicate a different picture on at least one forest in Michigan. My posts are an attempt to get individuals to make sure they know what is happening in reference to the Access Travel Management Plan........Then get involved and make some noise. If it is a collective noise making there might be some hope, otherwise it will be as wolvydude indicates happened on the Ottawa and what is currently taking place on the Wallowa-Whitman........Tass

Old 06-04-2007 | 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Chickenlips... is there a website or paper document or something that I can see for myself. To no offense to you, I just want to see it. Thanks,

Z

Quick Reply: YOUR Quad will be worth nothing!!!