Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Dude, you going to polish her up and put her on a pedastal or just put her away dirty as a testament to her faithfulness? HAH. I was at my local dealers the other day and I found out that Honda is making what I think was a 650? The big deal was it had the fat, tall seat like the good old days.... Man, and it had electric start too. Oh.. and if I wasn't already paying for my wife's quad... I sure think about it real hard... NAH, I don't have the legs for it any more. I am lucky to be walking as it is, no sense in tempting fate one more time... But I have to tell ya, I haven't gotten all drooly over something like I did when I sat on the new Yamaha 450 MX. It sure sent me back to the Maico days... and that Honda sure felt alot like my Elsinore... Ah to be young again...... and a hundred pounds lighter...

Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Ive been thinking about that for a while now....its had a paddle tire and a flag on it for the last 3 years. Only been ridden at Pismo. I was thinking of cleaning it up a little, changing all the fluids and putting a knobby on it. Then putting a clean sheet over it and putting it in the back of my shop somewhere. I used to think it was the ultimate sand bike until I rode my KTM in the sand with a paddle. Hard top beat a 6 speed tranny anywhere.

You know DB, Ive been doing a lot of test riding on the prototype Jetmoto 350 lately. Ive decided that at speed a quad is much more tiring and tough to go fast on. On my KTM I only need to look for about a 5-7" wide smooth line. Darn quad needs about 4'....Must be why BlackBalled wants all those roads made in Michigan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

I zip tied my plate on my frame and within a week it was bent to ****, muddy and looked 10 years old. They're pointless if the machine cant be street legal.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I know what you mean... Unfortunately with the bum knee and ankle, I am prety much relegated to 4 wheels now. I ws riding the other day ( Yes, I actually got it out, cleaned it up from all the mouse droppings and bug spooge, and got all 4 running. ) I went for a trail ride with my wife, son and a bunch of others and had a couple areas where I had to stand and get the weight over the front end... What I can say is the ankle/Fibula is NEVER going to heal enough for me to be able to stand on the pegs again. It has been almost 6 years now for the knee, and 2 and a half for the ankle, and it still hurts. The metal plates, and the screws dug in and even with my new Tech 4's, the pressure they put on the Fibula and screws was just too much to handle.. and I had ot sit back down. I knew I was in trouble when I put the boot on, and it took about an hour for it to get comfortable enough to ignore the pain. I had bought them because since the surgeries, the lower leg and knee/calf had swelled and I had to buy a boot with enough adjustability in it to be able to snap in place. They were good to go when I bought them, but the leg had swelled since I bought them, so I am back to square one again boot wise.
No way I am getting on a dirt bike. Besides, I can't kick start it anyway without any hamstrings in the right leg. (Used them to reconstruct the ACL) No fun to just putt around, and the new MX bikes are so uncomfortable. That is why I was surprised to find the new Honda with the old style seat. I am tempted, but will probably end up with either a Rhino or one of the new quads with Power steering. If you haven't had a chance to ride one, you should try it out. That Grizzly 700 with power steering and FI is nice. Combined wiht independant rear suspension, and it is like riding on a cloud and it takes no effort at all to turn it. Not like the tank like feeling I get on my Rubicon. I am still sold on my machine for being a pure work horse, but after riding my wife's with the independant rear.. I have to say it is a cadillac. I drag on logs that it will clear.
Besides, remember also that I couldn't tell you what a sand dune looks like... Out East, it is all woods and mountain trails. Speed usually does not enter in the equation. Solid handling and comfort is premium. And don't forget cupholders... My next purchase has ot have cupholders...(Wink wink).
I know you prefer single tracks... I still like wide paths that are safe. Out here, I am seeing the trails open up to teh side by side crowds now. I think it is great. Can't pass them on the trail, but I am glad they are out there as it brings another element to the sport, and introduces a different segment of riders to our cause. I for one feel there is room for everyone out there...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Wow ...to never stand again while riding. hmmmm, boy that would slow me down real quick. Good to hear you got out and did some riding though. You may have to get some of those 50/50 boots a few of the boot guys are making. Just like a mx boot but only 1/2 as tall.

The only side by side that does anything for me is the RZR. It would be nice to take on quad trails....someday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I know you like the wider trail. Im still not sure if its safer all the time, but can see your point. Bottom line for me is..no matter how wide or narrow the trail is its easier to find a smooth line on a dirt bike.

Dunes are a once a year deal for me. Started for us in the early 80's. (wife and i got married in '79) Enduros were in the fall and spring. Winter was great mud riding. Summer was dry, hot and dusty. Never liked riding then much. Then I watched Gary Baileys Rider Technique video. It not only changed the way I rode...but where I rode.. A part of the tape showed Gary messing around in the sand. He talked about how fun it was and how it made you a better rider. We went that summer in June and August ('83) We went for 6 summers and then bought a house in '90 and didnt go there for a few years. Still camped in the mountains and rode though. When the boys got good enough to ride in the sand we started going again. That was in '97 and we now go twice a year just like the old days.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I looked at teh half boots, but they are not much more than any sort of leather boot I already wear. So I thought maybe a new pair of boots that had a little more room in them would give me more support along the ankle and Fibula. My old ones didn't have enough adjustability in them ot allow me to get my calfs in them. After all the surgeries, the calves have gotten a lot thicker. I managed to get some that were bigger around, and when sitting I do OK, but standing puts a lot of strain on the Fibula which wsa shattered in a million pieces. During surgery, they put a plate along side it and screwed as many pieces as they could put together in a line to it in the hopes that it all would eventually grow back together and form some semblance of a bone. Which I think it has done, but I stil have many shards floating around and then there are the screws themselves. When standing, I can feel the screws and bone fragments jabbing in places you don't want them to be. Some are pretty close to nerves too, an you can imagine the jabbing pain you get when bone/screw touches nerve. Needles to say, there is no strength there to withstand a hit of any kind. Then there is the knee same leg, that had n ACL reconstruction using my Hamstrings. If I had it to do over, I'd use cadaver ligaments. They pretty much killed my hamstrings in the same leg, so I have adouble whammy there. Can't stand up on the pegs, and can't kick start a dirt bike either. That is why comfortable seating and an electric start is important to me. At my age, I can't afford any more bed time healing up, so I have to keep telling myself it is time to move on. As long as I don't walk past a really neat dirt bike, I am OK. This is also why I like the quads because I can sit on one and not worry too much. You still need to stand to get your weight over the front end in extreme uphills, but I can adjust to make it all work. I'd have bought a Rhino this year if I hadn't bought the wife a new quad. When that is paid for we will see. Junior wants a new Raptor 250 too. Still a little young for that, but size wise, he is way too big for his raptor 80, so I am going to have to do something. Then there is that 700 ZGrizzly with power steering that keeps calling me in my sleep... so the Rhino may have to wait a while longer. I looked at teh Razr... I am not into speed so much any more. Even thought seriously about the Kubota for it's diesel motor... but who knows, when I finally get around to getting one, I may be too crippled for anything.
I think one of the reasons I speak out so much about safety is so kids learn from it and don't repeat my mistakes. What you do when you are young will eventually come back to haunt you when you get older. Knees, arms, hips, feet.. you take them for granted.. but they will fail you when you get older if you don't take care of them now when you are young... wear the gear. You will thank me for it some day.
MWQ, you and I were lucky, we got to ride a multitude of the old classics... the kids today could not even imagine what it was like when your body made up the suspension, and the machines were made for manly men (Sorry girls) The new machines are so much more than we had. Of course the bike would have broken in half if we tried to ride the tracks of today too. I sure do not miss having to lay down for a few hours after a race and peeing blood for a day or too because we had bounced our kidneys around so bad.... We didn't listen then either...

Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

Yeah I looked at teh half boots, but they are not much more than any sort of leather boot I already wear. So I thought maybe a new pair of boots that had a little more room in them would give me more support along the ankle and Fibula. My old ones didn't have enough adjustability in them ot allow me to get my calfs in them. After all the surgeries, the calves have gotten a lot thicker. I managed to get some that were bigger around, and when sitting I do OK, but standing puts a lot of strain on the Fibula which wsa shattered in a million pieces. During surgery, they put a plate along side it and screwed as many pieces as they could put together in a line to it in the hopes that it all would eventually grow back together and form some semblance of a bone. Which I think it has done, but I stil have many shards floating around and then there are the screws themselves. When standing, I can feel the screws and bone fragments jabbing in places you don't want them to be. Some are pretty close to nerves too, an you can imagine the jabbing pain you get when bone/screw touches nerve. Needles to say, there is no strength there to withstand a hit of any kind. Then there is the knee same leg, that had n ACL reconstruction using my Hamstrings. If I had it to do over, I'd use cadaver ligaments. They pretty much killed my hamstrings in the same leg, so I have adouble whammy there. Can't stand up on the pegs, and can't kick start a dirt bike either. That is why comfortable seating and an electric start is important to me. At my age, I can't afford any more bed time healing up, so I have to keep telling myself it is time to move on. As long as I don't walk past a really neat dirt bike, I am OK. This is also why I like the quads because I can sit on one and not worry too much. You still need to stand to get your weight over the front end in extreme uphills, but I can adjust to make it all work. I'd have bought a Rhino this year if I hadn't bought the wife a new quad. When that is paid for we will see. Junior wants a new Raptor 250 too. Still a little young for that, but size wise, he is way too big for his raptor 80, so I am going to have to do something. Then there is that 700 ZGrizzly with power steering that keeps calling me in my sleep... so the Rhino may have to wait a while longer. I looked at teh Razr... I am not into speed so much any more. Even thought seriously about the Kubota for it's diesel motor... but who knows, when I finally get around to getting one, I may be too crippled for anything.

I think one of the reasons I speak out so much about safety is so kids learn from it and don't repeat my mistakes. What you do when you are young will eventually come back to haunt you when you get older. Knees, arms, hips, feet.. you take them for granted.. but they will fail you when you get older if you don't take care of them now when you are young... wear the gear. You will thank me for it some day.

MWQ, you and I were lucky, we got to ride a multitude of the old classics... the kids today could not even imagine what it was like when your body made up the suspension, and the machines were made for manly men (Sorry girls) The new machines are so much more than we had. Of course the bike would have broken in half if we tried to ride the tracks of today too. I sure do not miss having to lay down for a few hours after a race and peeing blood for a day or too because we had bounced our kidneys around so bad.... We didn't listen then either...</end quote></div>

Every time you post about your operations/problems I put off my knee another year. Its looking like early 2016 right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] My main reason for liking the RZR is its width, or lack of.

You keep talking safety even if it falls on deaf ears occasionally. I always say "dress for the crash not the ride". If you think you wont ever crash...give it time. Im thinking of getting one of the new $170.00 dollar neck collar/braces. The leatt vrace is nice but at $400.00 its a little priceey for me.

You arent kidding...I have great memories of riding my 73 CZ 250, it had moved up Koni's (this gave you 5.5" travel not the stock 3"). A 5 speed(4 was stock) and last but not least a Mikuni carb. It was very cool for a 15 yr old to have at the time. I think anyone who rode anything from the 70's, in the 70's. Has a much greater appreciation for what is available today. Let alone some one who rode anything from the 60's in the 60's. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

That old chili bean color tank. Guys used to walk up and ask you what the heck is that all the time I bet... Even the guys on Bultacos used to get that... They actually had a decent bike too. I really like the handling on my maico, but you would have to do a couple hours of maintenence for every hour you rode that thing. IT cost me an arm and a leg. When I bought teh Elsinoe, I thought I had died and went to heaven. Everything worked.. and it worked VERY well. Plus, I didn't have to tear it apart every time I rode it. Of course I did my maintnence thing, but nothing like the Maico. I got a deal on pars from the guys at Car's honda in Chicago, and Chub Carey, an old Flat tracker from the midwest used to throw some entry fee and gas money at me once in a while. But that was about all that anyone could hope for back then as far as sponsorship goes. Life was good. Those were some crazy days. You remember the old MV Agusta's Or the Vincent Black Shadow's? I have a buddy who still has his tucked away in a garage somewhere. Hasn't started it in probably 30 years, but it was showroom condition when we were kids. AND FAST.
Say, didn't super Hunky ride a CZ? Or was that a Husky.. can't rememeber that far back now... Heck we even had an old Hodaka Ace 100. I bet there ar efew guys out there that remember Harley Davidson's dirt bike either.
I agree with you on teh neck brace. A good idea. Just wish they were a little cheaper. I do make my 12 year old wear a neck roll though, no tthat he needs it, his neck is only slightly smaller than mine... 19" for me... Going to be a football linebacker someday if he works at it. I do believe kids should use them though. He is in that age where he knows he should put on his helmet and chest protector, but sometimes I catch him without teh chest protector. I ride him for it. I don't even let him warm it up or load it on the trailer without the helmet.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Dragginbutt, your bringing back alot of memories with the Bultaco, Hodaka- all of those. in 1972 at the clay pits beside Pensacola airport I was riddin my 125 enduro that we converted to a 175 mx 2 weeks after I bought it. Thought it was bad till I got on a 250 elsinor. I was in for a real surprise...then jumped on the bultaco- shifter and brake were basackwards..HaHa..
You have a pic of whatever you have that rotary engine in?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

another old guy!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Welcome to the discussion Mudbug5! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have almost started a "if you rode a dirt bike in the 70's lets talk about it" thread a couple of times.

I started in '71 on a unsuspended minibike. 6" wheels, rear brake only, 2.5 hp briggs powered machine. I remember a nickel would fill the gas tank for the weekend. By the time i was 12 I had a 4hp Techumseh with a Torque converter. Learned to ride wheelies that day. Next was at 14 was a Indian SR74 minicycle. Lots of fun and real fast until i got my CZ250 at 15. Neatest thing about the CZ was not using the clutch to shift. If you used it you would miss the shift. If you just yanked up on the shift lever at any time...even on the gas it would shift perfectly. at 17 I got a 76 KX 250...lots of power but suspension sucked..

DB, my CZ had a blue plastic "coffin" tank on it. Very cool at the time... uh oh...That might be the first time I have ever typed "coffin tank".

Quick Reply: Off-Road Registration Stickers?