Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Dusty Trails

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dusty Trails

Heck I can rememebr a time when they used to put a slurry of water and used engine oil on the roads to keep them from getting dusty. What an environmental nightmare that would be today. I suspect they would shut down the trail as being an environmental hazard area.

It is going to be interesting to see what they actually are using... Keep up posted..

One of the other commentors mentioned a name that I have nto heard for over 40 years. Mrotek... I knew a Dick Mrotek that used to have a horse stable around the Hayward area that my siblings and I used to frequent during our twice annual fishing trips. Many great memories. This must be a son... or grandson...

Maybe someday I will make it back to the land of my birth.. I'd sure like to settle down on that 9 acres I have in the SE corner of Monroe County.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Dusty Trails

I'll try to find out what they are using. It could be helpful in other parts of the country. However, I suppose they have to be careful about putting out too much information. People tend to get excited about chemicals being spread around.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Dusty Trails

On dusty road stay in the lead and let no one pass. If not in the lead hag back a 1/4 mile to let dust settle.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Dusty Trails

Yeah... if it isn't the environmental *****, it is the all natural bigots. Wisconsin is full of them. I read somewhere that they have the highest concentration of "certified" chemical free produce/animals etc in teh country. Whoop do doo.... Anything to able to change more for everything....

I shouldn't make fun.. my wife is into it for milk, bread, eggs, meat etc... She drives me nuts with it. At my age, I doubt it is going to make all that much difference..

I wonder is some university is working on something like this using something natural like fish oil or something as a binder. Might be worth some research.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dusty Trails

We have the same problem here in the dry season. We simply wear goggles (duh) and wear handkerchiefs over out nose/mouths under the helmet. It helps a little. Other than that, making these trails dust proof probably isn't in the budget of the trail maintenance.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dusty Trails"></title><script src=

It would be nice if they could figure something out. We live in a rural area, our south driveway is dirt, the previous owner sprayed it with soybean oil(soapstock). It reminds of of blacktop. Don't think it would be good for the atv tires but it keeps the dust down to nothing. We've lived here for 7 years and it's still hard as blacktop.

I've read about using vegetable oil, those articles say the same thing, gives the surface a blacktop like crust.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dusty Trails

I fear hard dirt like that. Everytime I have ever wrecked an ATV it was because of hard/compacted dirt and my lack of judgment while turning, haha.

But that soybean oil does sound like a good idea for really problem trails.