Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

It's awesome to hear man, but here... if you are caught riding on the road they take your ride (impound), ticket you and if it's a third offense you will be arrested.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

xjakknifex...where are you at. I almost moved to Alabama a few years ago where tyler0421 was arrested but am glad that I didn't. Had a feeling that the move would make me go crazy from being cooped up inside because there is no where to ride. Everything is private property or right of way. Glad I'm still in the Arizona mountains.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Western, NY right outside of Buffalo. Buffalo and the burbs near it i impossible to ride on the roads. Out closer to Lake Ontario they are more lenient, but catch the wrong cop/trooper/rangers and they will snag you.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

...but really NYS law says no ATVs on roads period. It all depends on if the law enforcement wants to enforce it.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

That sucks. I don't see why an ATV, if it is properly equipped like the requirements are here, couldn't be taken onto the road like a motorcycle. Guy's ride ATVs, UTVs and dirt bikes all over the place here. States are suppose to respect the laws of other states so I wonder what would happen if I drove an AZ street legal ATV into NY...I bet they would still give me a ticket.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

I think it's because of laziness, I am sure you know what goes into making a ATV street legal-- The tires I am running on my Foreman for instance can not grip black top. When I ride it on blacktop and turn I swear I always slide. That and ATVs don't come equipped with reverse lights, brake lights, signals and horn which s needed for a street legal bike and the state just doesn't want to waste time making sure that these ATVs have all of that day in and day out.

Yes, if you drove your street legal here you may be ticketed. I am sure if you still had the AZ registration they would let you slide with a warning if you plead ignorance.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

The state DMV doesn't worry about it. I bought my Kawasaki 700 which was registered in the Communist Republic of California so it had to be inspected for registration here in AZ. I wanted to have it registered street legal from the start so I installed all the necessary stuff thinking it would be scrutinized. When the DMV inspector looked at it he said they didn't inspect for legality and furthermore didn't care. All you do is sign an affidavit that pledges you will not ride the vehicle on dedicated streets unless it meets AZ law, show proof of insurance, pay for the tag and then walk out the door. I was pulled over once a while back with some other friends of mine. The officer only cared about insurance, proper registration and that no one was under 16...all the rest of the goodies were ignored.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

you guys have it easy. I live in Norther VA around DC. Trailers and pickups are the only way we go anywhere, and forget large open spaces. Out here is is either pay to ride parks, or a couple forest service pay to ride areas. Get caught on a road, instand fine. Possibly confiscated ATV.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

Dragginbutt...I thought you lived in Florida? What you said is just one more reason I didn't move east.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

No, my Daughterson in law and Grandson live in the Miami area in Homestead. They are about a mile from the race track actually. Mrs DB visits about every 3 or 4 months. That is about all she can take without seeing our little guy. I get down there about once a year, and that is usually about all I can stand due to the long drive etc. I have managed to make it in 14.5 hours. You do the math... I doubt I saw anything under 80 on that trip.

Quick Reply: WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah