Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

If you can ride from home you are so lucky. we have been riding from home down an ally,across the street, then through a friends pasture( that means opening 3 iron gates, that I can't move by myself) down a rock road and then on oiled roads that we are not to be on. We would give anything to be able to get some kind of legal permits to ride. I would really like to know how to go about doing something about it. Where do I find out about other state laws? I would like some facts before I contact my congress man.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

can-amwoman; what state are you in? Call the local DMV and ask them if it's possible or what you would need to do. The DMV should know. In AZ the most important thing is producing insurance and then registering under a MC license...the same as a motorcycle. All the other stuff that the ATV needs like a horn, brake lights, headlight with high and low beam, reflectors and rear view mirror they leave up to us.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Illinois and the DMV would get good laugh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]if you walked in and asked what to do. The crazy people in this state think that they are UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS.
Wow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] The roads must be very special in Illinois, that scooter, and golf carts and mope heads are safe but we are not. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] What would you want to be on and get hit by a car????a scooter or a 4-wheeler. You don't even have to have special lic. to operate under a 100cc motorcycle.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Good luck in Il. At least you are not subject to the ATV ****'s to the north. I can say that, as I was born in WI, and grew up in Norhtern Il. Actually, I have ot say that WI has a very open minded policy towards recreational use of vehicles, the creation of trails etc. I wish other states were like minded. My problem is with the registration laws, and the enthusiasm that certain laws are enforced. Depending on who you meet on the trail, you could have a great day or a really bad one.

CA Woman, The best advice I have for you is to speak with the local government. In my experience out East, the local towns have inacted ordinances that allow off road vehicles to be operated on public streets but under very restrictive conditions. You will NOT see ATV's popping wheelies or traveling much faster than a crawl when on the road and generally, they allow travel to and from trailheads and local gas stations, hotels and restaurants. Crossings are done at a right angle etc. Much like the Snowmobile laws in Il. In fact, you may need to do some checking with the State, as you may find that ATVs and Snowmobiles are categorized as the same, and the laws are applied the same way, which may mean that you can drive in the ditches and cross at right angles etc. It may not be as bad as you think. Good luck!

By the way, where are you located? I grew up in the Rockford area.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks ,
I never thought of looking up the snowmobile laws. I do know that it is legal to cross ar right angles, but you have to be careful of where you came from and where your going when you cross.
I am in south central Il. (better know around here a Hellinois) Around Forbes State Park.