Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Riding along side of road

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where I live in Ohio is out in the county there is a riding place (Bud Hilliard) that is 200 feet from my driveway and the other direction is a friends about the same distance. between my house and a friends is a gravel pulloff where sheriffs sit at. I stopped and talked to the deputy he told me as long as I wasnt raising cane doing wheelies reving the engine (fast take offs etc) and did not ride on the paved portion of the road the short distances was fine and I would not have any issues with going to one or the other. key thing is to go and talk to them and let them know that your not raising cane and that you are respectable enough to aproach them and ask about it

Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is like the difference between Andy and Barney in Mayberry. Andy uses common sense as Sheriff, while Barney is determined to uphold the letter of the law as deputy. I agree with irinman2424, but the problem that he may have is when an officer other than the one he spoke with shows up and decides to uphold the letter of the law. In NC the side of the road or right-of-way-easement is considered part of the road. If I do not receive a reply from my e-mail to NC Public Safety, my next move will be to call and request a State Trooper to come to my residence and talk to him about the situation. There are NO laws reguarding UTV's in NC. The law is specific to ATV's as it is laid out in detail. "All Terrain Vehicle or ATV. – A motorized off-highway vehicle designed to travel on three or four low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering" Some police look at UTV's as farm tractors and other see them as ATV's, still others see it as a automobile with no registration or tag.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

just to clerify the county that I live in (and I dont know if it is this way in other counties or not) is divided up and in each section of he county there is 1-2 deputies patraolling and it is always the same deputies in the same section I have his card in my atv bag so if another deputy stops me I can show them the card that states on the back that I talked to him about atv/road laws and is signed by him

Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

That is the way to go irinman2424. I hope to be able to do the same here.