Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

NREP-SAWS/BRC Alert last week

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once your there just back up to May 5th!! That one is definately working for me

Last edited by Elkaholic; 05-07-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Link problems
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Elkaholic
All good points MooseHenden.

Elk, This thing is never going to pass. She's been trying this for 20 years. Even if it gets traction in the House, it will never make it through the Senate.

I think the thing to worry about is if they try to break this into pieces and slowly pass legislation, adding to a core over time. This has got to be the next plan of attack. There's just no way they're going to create 23 Million acres of Wilderness with the stroke of a pen. Not gunna happen....and the list of reasons it won't happen is long.

Edit: Spoke to a Recreation Program Manager in Washington about this bill earlier today. She was generally aware of it, but according to her, there is no buzz on this thing passing. No conversation at all. If it had a lot of momentum she would know about it. -Good news of some sorts.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elkaholic

one of the hunting forums I visit Called it "Youth elitism" We are all getting older and can't climb and hike like we used to. One other thing....My girlfriend is in a wheelchair.....that kind of messes thiings up as far as wilderness visits doesn't it

Very good point. While we all “own” the land and pay the taxes for maintenance, fires, etc, only a very small fraction of the “owners” have the ability to utilize the land. Elitism at it’s finest.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

I hope to god your right FunRide,but many of us have seen a perfect storm has brewed in DC with the democrats controlling the house, the senate, and the white house. the Party that is much much more likely to pander to the radical greenies.
The wsy I look at it....If we can just stop it for the next 2 years, maybe the total hold on DC could change.

Mind you, I don't like to see either party with total control of all 3. As before ...I SURE DO hope you are right

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Somthing I dont understand...is why we ( I ) never hear anything from the big manufactures of motorsport equipment. Do they lobby against these gradual closures of ohv land?? Ultimetely its an attack on their business...if u think about it. If i dont have anywhere to ride my bike...why would I go buy a new one??
Also..these tree huggers wont be satisfied till were all living in the lil house on the praire. just my opinion

Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
Somthing I dont understand...is why we ( I ) never hear anything from the big manufactures of motorsport equipment. Do they lobby against these gradual closures of ohv land?? Ultimetely its an attack on their business...if u think about it. If i dont have anywhere to ride my bike...why would I go buy a new one??
Also..these tree huggers wont be satisfied till were all living in the lil house on the praire. just my opinion

Good question, but it is possible it has more to do with finances than anything else. I know for a fact that AC has already laid off some people, and have furloughed some others. No doubt other manufacturers are feeling the pinch as well.

I think tree huggers would be happier if we all just died off and left everything to nature, or all lived in apartment high rises. Remember – a developer is someone that wants to build a house in the woods; an environmentalist is someone who already has one…

Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

[QUOTE=FunRide;2789018]Elk, Haven't had enough time to digest this bill, but had a couple of comments on the statement made to congress. I have you quoted below.....I know it's not you speaking, it's Rehberg.

-Wilderness does not exclude hunters or anglers. They're free to hunt / fish "their" ridge anytime they want during the seasons. ATVs and horses won't be allowed, but a lot of hardcore hunters / anglers look at that as a good thing. 75% direct reduction in competition and improved heard / fish numbers. Just gotta be willing to hike for it. I know that's difficult for some folks though.

Sure was great to be able to post THIS on a couple hunting forums today so that they could see how far the anti access peoplea gree with them. (hunters and gun owners)

Dear Jim,

Loaded weapons in our National Parks?

It's already passed in the Senate.

Your action is needed today to keep our parks safe.

This week, the U.S. House of Representatives may vote on a bill of great concern to those who cherish our national parks and the wildlife they host.

Believe it or not, we're talking about the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act. What does credit reform have to do with national parks? Nothing. Yet, astonishingly, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., has attached a rider to the bill that would allow individuals to carry loaded weapons in national parks. Take action now.

If the bill passes with the rider attached, anyone would be allowed to carry loaded weapons – including semi-automatics – in our national parks.

Can you imagine the implications for wildlife poaching and visitor safety?

Not only is this a dangerous idea but it makes no sense attaching it to a bill that seeks to help Americans in difficult times.

This bill passed the Senate last week. It's now up to us to stop the rider – take action now.

The gun effort has been widely opposed by park rangers and seven former directors of the Park Service who say it would increase the risk of poaching and vandalism of historic resources and put visitors at risk.

Please tell your Representative to stop this ill-conceived idea and to keep our beloved parks free of loaded weapons.

Sincerely,

Kathy Kilmer
The Wilderness Society

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Range Rover

Things like this right here is where I formed the opinion that many hunters don't "get it"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
09:54:16 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote
What does allowing guns in National Parks have to do with wilderness areas? This thread was about wilderness areas, right? The email you listed is about National Parks. Two different machines. Either you're seriously confused over the differences between the two, or you're intentionally trying to mislead people in order to gather votes against the wilderness bill. The bill that supports guns in national parks has nothing to do with the bill that supports wilderness areas.
For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

Elkaholic daWg

View Profile Show the posts started by this member. Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: Legislation Would Close Public Lands to Many Forms of Recreation Reintroduced
« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:04:18 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove

Please tell your Representative to stop this ill-conceived idea and to keep our beloved parks free of loaded weapons.

Sincerely,

Kathy Kilmer
The Wilderness Society
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]

Confused eh? I see nothing confusing there. Same people + different issue= My whole point! Misleading???