Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Activism, and actions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It makes sense to me to combine the two groups to do trail work. ATVers have from May 23rd (NH) until winter and can ride certain trails as long as there is enough snow and it stays below freezing. That gives an ATVer, potentially only 2 months where they aren't allowed to ride. (Mud season) Snowmobilers do well to get 4-5 months of sledding. So, I think there are more ATVers out there than snowmobilers just for the fact that they can ride longer.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the riding around here is snowmobile at this time of year. Yesterday a snowmobiler called the local tourist info center to report a tree down on a trail. The center called our club trail boss, who answered on his cell phone while on a trip out West. He told them to call me, knowing I'm always available. I drove about 20 miles and hiked into the spot. It was a big tree, and it completely blocked the trail. Tracks in the snow and broken branches seemed to indicate that sleds were being lifted over it. About a half dozen cuts with my trusty Stihl opened the trail. Later, I learned that section of trail is maintained by the next club to the north. I'm going to run down the contact info for that club's trail boss and give it to the Information Center. Also, he owes me one.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
Most of the riding around here is snowmobile at this time of year. Yesterday a snowmobiler called the local tourist info center to report a tree down on a trail. The center called our club trail boss, who answered on his cell phone while on a trip out West. He told them to call me, knowing I'm always available. I drove about 20 miles and hiked into the spot. It was a big tree, and it completely blocked the trail. Tracks in the snow and broken branches seemed to indicate that sleds were being lifted over it. About a half dozen cuts with my trusty Stihl opened the trail. Later, I learned that section of trail is maintained by the next club to the north. I'm going to run down the contact info for that club's trail boss and give it to the Information Center. Also, he owes me one.
Yeah, I'm kind of on the emergency call list. The club president calls me now when there's a tree down. Love my Stihls also. Have an old 031AV that still runs even after a fix for damage when a 1 1/2' wide tree rolled over it when we were dragging it out of a stream.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Keep up the good work guys. We need more of you. Also, more clubs that are not just focused on partying. The trail work is important, and goes a long way towards preserving a future for the next generation of riders.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Great news... The company I work for gives me a volunteer day off work. I called my HR and explained that I would like to take the day to clean the trails and parking facilities to the Pine Grove Furnace ATV trails in south central PA. They informed me that as long as the PA DCNR would acknoledge the action (not sure what that means) that they would honor the day as paid. This is normally reserved for other worthy causes and ACS, BSA, local shelters and others.. But this is the first such request my HR has recieved. They said I would need to secure a letter from the PA DCNR acknoledging the action and the would honor the paid volunteer day. My son is very excited as well as this also might qualify for his required volunteer time for his school as well. I will update when (if) all is approved..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

THink about it.. many of us older guys probably grew up with Snowmobiles. I switched for a couple reasons. First, I get a longer season with my quad. Put on tracks and now I have a year round machine that goes anywhere my snowmobile could go, albiet slower. But at my age, I have pretty much gotten the speed thing out of my system anyway. Secondly, if either of us is to survive, we need to combine our efforts and share the available trail dollars. More voices equal votes, and votes get politicians to look at our issues. Lastly, we need each other. We share trails as it is anyway. Our recreation dollars keep the tourist engines rolling too, so whole economies benefit from our being there.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
Our club is ATV and Snowmobile, and most members have both types of machines. Members who turn in over 40 hours in a year get their hotel bill paid for the winter snowmobile trip. That trip always involves really nice hotels.
Do the ATVers and the snowmobilers in your State share the same trails? If so, hows it working out?

Bill

Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by xcitmt
I will update when (if) all is approved..
X: Did this pan out for you?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is about being organized, and at least in Wisconsin, they see snowmobiles as a way of extending the tourist seasons. A lot of money is gerated by them. ATV groups tend to be much looser in makeup, and most riders are more non commital when it comes to helping build bridges etc. They would rather be riding than sweating. Hopefully the snowmodile crowd will rub off on them. I see you have tracks on your machine in the pictures. How do you like them? I have been considering them for some time now. I plow snow with my machine and certainly could use a little more push.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it has.. The local office State Forest office at Michaux State Park willl sign the letter I have drafted saying our purpose. We are going to work the trails for 4 hours picking up large items and then the 2 parking lots for an hour or so each. My HR office will accept this as work performed and honor the day off. We are looking at days in June for this and will update later. Was thinking it would be great to have a small trailer to pull behind the Cat to gather the trash... still working on that. As far as my son's time.. we are still working on that. The local school district has yet to reply.

Quick Reply: Activism, and actions...