Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Activism, and actions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Activism, and actions...

Just wondering home many of you are actively out here helping to keep trails open, marking trials, building bridges over wetlands etc? Many people have big opnions, but just how many of us are actively DOING? Tell what you are doing, and what you find is working and what is not. I suspect that groups are much more active, and their results are much more apparent.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Past three years, helped build 3 bridges that could hold a tank. From 35-60 feet. Repaired a couple. Cleanups along trails and cutting trees that fell during storms or wintertime.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been actively involved in much of the politics of Off Roading in Michigan for 11 years now.

I was involved in HB 4323 which allows Counties the authority to open their county shoulders to allow ORV traffic, it is now PA 240.

Also am the Director for the Michigan Off Road Safety Association M.O.R.A. - Home

Been very busy addressing the abuse and mismanagement of ORV User dollars by the MDNR

Trying to get someone in to listen to your concerns that has any authority over the issues regarding the sport of ORVing,can be a very difficult and timely task, because most of it involves ''politics'' and everyone knows HOW that works.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

This is something that interest me. I think it would be great opportunity for my son and I to spend some time together while helping preserve the sport. I have looked at some of the local group sites, contacted the PA DCNR, but there just does not appear to be any group plans. So until then we simply take more home than we bring. We make it a challenge to see who can get the first old tire on the trailer..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Xcitmt, my son and I have done many of these projects with the club and a few on our own. It really does help the club's or ATVer's image. And when out riding you can have a good feeling knowing you've done your part to keep a trail open that hundreds of others enjoy. The best bet is to give the local club's president a call. They've always got something needing to be done.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I'm retired, so I enjoy anythiing that gets me out and about, but I got a lot more enjoyment out of riding when I joined the local club. I now carry a chain saw on my quad that I use to cut limbs and downed trees off the trail. Our trails grow grapefruit sized rocks, so that is an ongoing job to get them out of the way. I turn in my hours to the club, which gets paid by the state and uses the funds to pay for trail maintenance equipment and supplies. I sometimes drive the grader that smoothes the ruts out of the trails. I have also helped build and repair bridges. Last week I rode for the first time on a trail I helped open last summer. The feeling gives a whole new dimension to ATV riding.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
I'm retired, so I enjoy anythiing that gets me out and about, but I got a lot more enjoyment out of riding when I joined the local club. I now carry a chain saw on my quad that I use to cut limbs and downed trees off the trail. Our trails grow grapefruit sized rocks, so that is an ongoing job to get them out of the way. I turn in my hours to the club, which gets paid by the state and uses the funds to pay for trail maintenance equipment and supplies. I sometimes drive the grader that smoothes the ruts out of the trails. I have also helped build and repair bridges. Last week I rode for the first time on a trail I helped open last summer. The feeling gives a whole new dimension to ATV riding.
NH has a similar system for trail grants. As long as a club does, cumilatively, a certain number of hours they are eligible for grants. First rides in the spring, I also bring a chainsaw. The handsaw takes a little to long on those foot wide maples.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Our club is ATV and Snowmobile, and most members have both types of machines. Members who turn in over 40 hours in a year get their hotel bill paid for the winter snowmobile trip. That trip always involves really nice hotels.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Our club is ATV and Snowmobile, and most members have both types of machines. Members who turn in over 40 hours in a year get their hotel bill paid for the winter snowmobile trip. That trip always involves really nice hotels.
Now, that's a good idea to get the members out on the work parties!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that is great to combine snowmobile and ATV. They are distinct and completely separate entities usually. It's a logical marriage, but snowmobile has way more everything in terms of trails, local support, money, organization, influence on state officials. Great mix for you guys.....

Quick Reply: Activism, and actions...