Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Informal Poll: Forest Management

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Informal Poll: Forest Management

On a scale of 1 - 10, how would a commercial forest clear-cut negatively effect your riding experience, with 1 being equal to: no problem, and 10 being equal to: ruined my ride?

Example: You and some friends are running through some remote areas of state X. The overall views are general forest with limited outlooks and vistas. Every once in a while you pass another bike or a hiker on a cross trail. Your group then comes upon a fresh 80 acre clear-cut off to the right and left and some continued commercial "thinning" of 2000+ acres. How would you react and would these cuts negatively impact your trip on a scale of 1 - 10?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I'll give it a 5 as I would rather have a controlled cut that a big forest fire any day!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd rate it at a 3. It would only bother me if I could not get through due to the logging operations and had to turn around. Trees grow like weeds here. A clear cut is not a big deal to me. I've seen areas of Maine that were clear cut and 5 years later seen trees 20 feet tall and about 6-8 inches at chest height.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I'd give it a two. Logging and its aftermath have little affect on my riding. The forest is constantly changing anyway. Trees grow. Trees die. Storms happen. Trees fall. I do like seeing wildlife, and I seem to see a lot more in and near cut-over areas. And, no, I'm not a logger.

Last edited by Deeplaker60; 01-01-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrary to many leftist’s opinions, logging can be very beneficial to wildlife. New growth is often far better than old growth to support a wide variety of wildlife, and has the added benefit of supporting the local communities with jobs. The occasional controlled burn is also beneficial, as opposed to the current ban on burning which only leads to larger, completely out of control fires.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say 1. As long as the trails is open, it's just somthing different to see.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
Contrary to many leftist’s opinions.......
This has nothing to with "leftist" views. I posted this outside the political forum for a reason. You didn't answer the question, but based on your remarks I'll consider you a 1. Aside from your ever-present political take, your statements are correct.

Last edited by FunRide; 01-01-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: removed a sentence.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure some are wondering why I'm asking this. I choose not to disclose that now, for fear that it will change the way you view the question. Just imagine a ride and the scene and give your best guess at what you would think. I'll tell you why after I get 20 or more responses.

This has nothing to do with the right or wrong virtues of forestry, ecology, or the economy. I am not a logger.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I would say at least a 7, I think being in or around a nice tight woods is half the fun, some logging is ok, but I wouldn't like to see larges scale clear cutting operations where I ride

Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to say 1.Small cuts and commercial thinning dont bother me if done right.
I've done commercial thinning that you could hardly notice from the road.When done wrong its a mess and an eyesore.

Quick Reply: Informal Poll: Forest Management