Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Drill baby Drill

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I'm still waiting to see what caused the explosion that led to the platform failing and the oil spill. There are 10 dead from this disaster and if they can find out what caused it and prevent it in the future that would be good.
I have not heard anything yet. Might be a long time before we do. Gotta figure whoever is at fault is going to try their best to cover it up. This is going to cost billions to clean up and in fines, lawsuits. Ugly mess for everybody involved.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

Just an FYI, National Public Radio (NPR) has an ombudsmans office charged with monitoring their content. They have both liberal and conservative members of the office to ensure that their content is unbiased. ALL of what gets aired gets monitored, ALL OF IT. They spot fact check them also to make sure their srories are accurate. I am a big fan of this because it provides us with actual news. I don't knoow about everybody else, but I'd rather not get spin in any direction, I mean to air that stuff is fine, 1st Ammendment and all, I just have an issue calling it news. I want information not interpretation.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Yeah...CNG is so plentiful too. I hear ya on the safety factor. Imagine getting in a head-on with two full loads of NG on impact. The Interstate would be closed for a week while they fill the crater. "They" claim to have it solved with special fuel tanks though. Not sure of the details, but I've heard it provides a ton of torque, similar to the way a diesel burns. I don't know if you'd have high RPMs with lots of HP, or be forced to drive tank like vehicles.
Hopefully not designed by the same group that gave us the Pinto.

The city of Dallas had quite a few cars that ran on cng for a while. Don't see them as much as I used to. Not sure why either.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

We had a small fleet of them when I worked for the state. Only complaints folks had who used them was that it was a pain to re-fuel because there were so few filling locations. Other than that, no issues. I know NG is not perfect, and I am no chemist, but I have read that it is light years better than gasoline in terms emissions. Everything seems to have it's associated hazards, hydrogen is no magic sollution, batteries are, well, full of acid! NG seems so abundant, why are we not doing more with it?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Hopefully not designed by the same group that gave us the Pinto.....
LOL....Pinto. What a death machine. Haven't heard the name Pinto in a long time.

Would be interesting to find out why the CNG vehicles went away. Maybe it's just a PITA to get to a CNG filling station?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure about natural gas. I know Hydrogen vehicles give off water as a "pollutant".

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
Just an FYI, National Public Radio (NPR) has an ombudsmans office charged with monitoring their content. They have both liberal and conservative members of the office to ensure that their content is unbiased. ALL of what gets aired gets monitored, ALL OF IT. They spot fact check them also to make sure their srories are accurate. I am a big fan of this because it provides us with actual news. I don't knoow about everybody else, but I'd rather not get spin in any direction, I mean to air that stuff is fine, 1st Ammendment and all, I just have an issue calling it news. I want information not interpretation.
PBL...We got another thread going on news bias. Might want to move this over there. I agree with you. Don't like, or want the slant in either direction. Just give me the damn news. Not interested in their political interests.

You don't want to talk about NPR in here too much. It's a government controlled news organization run by the left.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Not sure about natural gas. I know Hydrogen vehicles give off water as a "pollutant".
Moose, Imagine a bunch of cars at a stop light when it's 5 degrees spewing gallons of water on the pavement in NE. It would be an ice rink within hours. Can you imagine downtown Boston.....literally would be a sheet of ice. We'd have to heat the pavement with tubes.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks FunRide, Been reading a lot lately. You have one thick skin man. The NPR thing is, as you know, a fact. Been that way for years. Both conservative and liberal federal legislators get to appoint members in equal ratios? I know, you know this but news should be NEWS not the editorial pages. Sorry again, you know this. A long time ago, a very smart dude named Albert Einstein said a for profit media was the most dangerous thing in america. Now, I am not taking any position, but that reporting news should be, ethically, just that.

Further, I am not against "for profit" media, again, that whole 1st ammendment thing is a very good thing, I just think we should be distinguishing between real journalism and something closer to the "Weekly World News."

Thanks man!

PBL

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Moose, Imagine a bunch of cars at a stop light when it's 5 degrees spewing gallons of water on the pavement in NE. It would be an ice rink within hours. Can you imagine downtown Boston.....literally would be a sheet of ice. We'd have to heat the pavement with tubes.
Never thought of that. People who designed them may not have either. I can picture a 5 degree day causing and ice buildup in the tailpipe and causing a clog. Not sure if that would cause problems. Ice does on the roads though.

Quick Reply: Drill baby Drill