Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Drill baby Drill

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I honestly don't know if they've come to any conclusion as to why the rig blew in the first place. It was weird that it happened shortly after Pres. Obama announced limited off shore drilling along the East Coast. Probably a coincedence, but odd...
I read an article in the Wall Street Journal where they had interviewed a few people that were on the rig when the series of explosions occurred. Very interesting to say the least. Besides the ignored warnings, the chain of command to actually declare an emergency seemed like a maze more than a plan. Trying to find a link for it, but not as easy as I thought it would be.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

WSJ article on BP explosion.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
WSJ article on BP explosion.
That's a terrifying read. I wonder if being that deep in the ocean effects the amount of pressure on the pocket of oil. I know from what I've read that methane is usually on top of the pockets in varying quantities. It sounds like the amount of pressure was like nothing they've seen before. Imagine 3.5 miles of ocean water on top of a layer of rock on top of the oil pocket. I think we'd be better off keeping it in the kinds of depths where it isn't so difficult for us to recover after a disaster. Either that and/or drill where we know we have reserves underground.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went down to the Gulf after Katrina with a box truck loaded with supplies.
Admirable Moose. I don't know anybody who actually went down there.....Contribute materials and money, yes, but not actually drive down there and attempt to assist.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

....I think we'd be better off keeping it in the kinds of depths where it isn't so difficult for us to recover after a disaster. Either that and/or drill where we know we have reserves underground.
I've read about these drills that can drill sideways (near sideways), but they're very expensive to buy and operate. Maybe if they make the cut in shallower water, then drill across into the deeper pockets. Might be too far to go to get to the big pockets. Not sure how far they can drill sideways.

Gotta figure there's going to be some changes in the drilling business. Not likely the kinds of changes that the oil employed folks are going to like.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Admirable Moose. I don't know anybody who actually went down there.....Contribute materials and money, yes, but not actually drive down there and attempt to assist.
My pastor and his wife came up with the idea. I had the time and my oldest son did his work in the truck as we drove. A friend who homeschools took my younger son while my wife was at work each day. A buddy had a brand new box truck he was going to fit out for a flood restoration business, so it all kind of came together. Long ride. It took us 4 days down and 5 days back. I'm glad I don't live down there. I'll take snow and ice anyday over the devestation we saw. It's amazing how generous the American people are. There were open parking lots with water, clothing, food, diapers, formula, etc. The people in need could walk or drive over and get what they needed. There were people helping from all over the country. And more stuff was arriving as the other materials were given away. It did kind of put my petty complaining about little things in perspective. My house was still standing. It's amazing how often I forget to be thankful for a roof over my head, food on my table, and clothing on my back.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

.....It's amazing how often I forget to be thankful for a roof over my head, food on my table, and clothing on my back.
I think that sometimes when it's -10 outside. How amazing is it to have a warm and dry house to come back to. Certainly there is a lot to be thankful for, but so easy to forget with day to day noise.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

Yep! Great point Moose. I try often to remind myself, while I am relatively speaking, a working class guy, I am really rich compared to most of the world. 1 billion people are currently inflicted with malnutrition related diseases. Another BILLION live on under $2.00 per day.

I love to ride that quad alright, but, like you allude to Moose, it really is a healthy thing to keep your perspective. I get a little freaked out by my air conditioning in a weird way. Heat? Use it or die. AC? Most of the world lives where it is really hot (the global south) and the hospitals don't even have AC.

Hey FR, -10? You talking about Halloween and Easter in Maine? What about when it gets cold?