Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

smaller acreages = trail closings

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdame
I think it's more tyical that people who don't own property think they have a right to use other people's property. If they say no trespassing, it's no trespassing.

Thats a major issue right there. I have signs posted all the way around mine and I still have people trashing my place.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Established clubs that maintain and patrol trails tend to keep bad things from happening. They maintain long-term relationships with local landowners, which keeps the trails open. When larger holdings are divided into small parcels, they are often bought by people living in distant metropolitan areas who have no local ties. It can be a challenge to even find them to negotiate for a trail. They don't know any local club members, and maybe don't even know a trail has been on the land for decades. So, a trail gets blocked. Maybe it was part of a 100-mile system that attracted riders from a wide area, riders who spent money at local businesses. It's hard for absentee land owners to understand that their little parcel can have a big impact on the local economy. They are probably more familiar with the horror stories like those recounted here. I don't have any solutions, but clubs obviously need some new strategies for dealing with a new breed of property owners that are outside the local network of friends and families.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
Established clubs that maintain and patrol trails tend to keep bad things from happening. They maintain long-term relationships with local landowners, which keeps the trails open. When larger holdings are divided into small parcels, they are often bought by people living in distant metropolitan areas who have no local ties. It can be a challenge to even find them to negotiate for a trail. They don't know any local club members, and maybe don't even know a trail has been on the land for decades. So, a trail gets blocked. Maybe it was part of a 100-mile system that attracted riders from a wide area, riders who spent money at local businesses. It's hard for absentee land owners to understand that their little parcel can have a big impact on the local economy. They are probably more familiar with the horror stories like those recounted here. I don't have any solutions, but clubs obviously need some new strategies for dealing with a new breed of property owners that are outside the local network of friends and families.

I don't think there is any such thing as a "new breed" of land owners - simply land owners that are more aware of the threats that they face. You cannot blame the owners for wanting to protect not only their investment, but all of their assets from litigation. A lawsuit can cost tens of thousands of dollars just for the lawyers, plus any amount that may be awarded. Another issue from an investor’s point of view is that a piece of land may be deemed to have a higher re-sale value if there is no trail crossing it.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
Another issue from an investor’s point of view is that a piece of land may be deemed to have a higher re-sale value if there is no trail crossing it.

I'm not sure about that. I see a lot of real estate ads that say the land is close to or on trails. I wouldn't think that would be in an ad unless it was an attraction to potential buyers.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I just had a thought... People who buy small parcels where they don't have much room to ride really need trails nearby. And, people who want to sell recreational land benefit from added recreational potential provided by trails. Seems real estate agencies placing the ads I referred to previously figured this out already. Maybe there is an angle here that could be used in negotiating with land owners for trails.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't see how allowing unfettered access for unlimited amount of people with motorized vehicles could be see as a benifit.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

I don't have any solutions, but clubs obviously need some new strategies for dealing with a new breed of property owners that are outside the local network of friends and families.
How about all those family and friends chipping in to buy the small parcel?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dirtdame
How about all those family and friends chipping in to buy the small parcel?
They would need a place to ride.

If a small parcel has a trail that is part of a major trail system, that would be better than an isolated parcel surrounded by other small parcels plastered with no trespassing signs. I can understand people not wanting to allow "unfettered access" to their land, but I'd certainly pay more for a parcel having a controlled, signed, maintained and patrolled trail where I could just roll out of my garage and ride for a whole day on my ATV or snowmobile, or walk my dog, or ride my moutain bike.

Trails around here have signs that say, "Use of this trail is a privilege, not a right. Stay on the trail." People seem to obey them.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

dont matter what ya do anymore. i have 400 acres. they must be 18 or older. if under 18 must have a parent/guardian sigh u over. and sigh a waiver that im not responsible for you wrecking i ride my horse around to make sure there not destroying stuff if they do i chase them out with a 20 gauge. i let anyone and ever one ride for free. but people have tryed to sue me b/4. b/c they think they can. if someone gets gum stuck on there shoe from your house they try to sue u. if they slip and fall off you porch they try to sue. cant trust anyone by family. thats all ya got.