Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

smaller acreages = trail closings

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smaller acreages = trail closings

We're seeing larger land holdings broken up into smaller parcels, usually 40 acres or less. That's becoming a big problem where there are trails on the larger holdings. It's a lot easier to deal with one owner, but almost impossible to get multiple owners to agree to allow trails. In many cases one owner closes off his little acreage and the whole trail system is blocked. When someone builds a home, you can understand they don't like riders going across their yards, but that usually not the case.

Something that happened up the road from me is more common. A couple of years ago, I see a older couple driving very slowly. When I asked if I could help, they told me they hadn't been around for several years and weren't sure where their land was. I helped them find their 10-acre parcel. They posted "No Trespassing" signs and haven't been back since.

Every time I go by those sign, I shake my head. Heck, I could probably keep a herd of cattle there and they'd never know. So why are they so worried that someone might set foot there? This seems too typical of city people viewing country acreages like their suburban lots.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think a lot of it is liability related. Someone gets injured on your property and you get held liable with a hefty lawsuit. I think part of the agreements in NH and ME are that you cannot sue a landowner over trail issues that are on their property. I know we had a connector that connected two large loops closed so that if we want to ride we have to park at either loop and trailer over to the other one if we want to go ride over there. Something to do with snowmobile club (that we helped on many trail projects) bad-mouthing us. I don't have anything against snowmobiles in general but the group we deal with hasn't done us any favors.

What I see is farms that have been in families for generations are being sold into smaller lots like you mentioned. The families don't want to farm anymore and can make tons more money selling off parcels to would-be homeowners.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

Four reasons trails/property gets closed in our area.

1. Liability. Its too risky to take a chance that someone will get hurt and sue you.

2. Inconsiderate riders. Riders go off trail and destroy habitat and fences, create ruts, ride recklessly, are noisy, and leave their trash on the property.

3. Abuse their priviledges. I give two people permission to ride on my property and later I find ten people riding without my permission. All ten said that the two I gave permission invited them and now they come without original people. It's like they multiply faster than rabbits.

4. Liability!! Did I mention that earlier? Liability is also reason 5,6,7,8,9, and 10.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I can ride for 500 miles and never come close to private property.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

The liability issue has been dealt with in some states with laws that protect landowners from lawsuits if they have opened their land to public recreation. I hate to play lawyer, but I do wonder if putting up a "No Trespassing" sign would give you the same degree of protection?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

I know my insurance guy insisted i put one up at all entrances

Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I was just thinking that people have been sued even though their land was posted. But, I haven't heard of anyone getting sued when state law said they couldn't be. Wisconsin residents get substantial tax breaks if they allow public use of their land for hunting and other recreation. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all the legal ins and outs. I do have a book that lists all WI properties that are in the program, and maps showing exact locations.

This gets back to my original point. People with large acreages are more likely to want the substantial tax savings provided by the program. If you only have a few acres, its probably not worth it.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 160 acres (if you don't already know - thats half mile X half mile) in N Mn. I have problems with people tearing up my trails cutting eight inch deep ruts with their wheelers, driving thru mud holes and getting stuck with their 4X4 trucks, shooting the legs on my deer stands, stealing my salt blocks, getting wheelers stuck in my formerly pristen pond, etc, etc etc....

Oh, and lets not forget about the trash - beer bottles, soda cans, etc, etc....

Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Range Rover

This seems too typical of city people viewing country acreages like their suburban lots.
I think it's more tyical that people who don't own property think they have a right to use other people's property. If they say no trespassing, it's no trespassing.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Trailblazer

Bingo, we have 120 acres here, and we get a lot of people wandering around in the back yard like they own the place. This isn't a real big deal, but some don't realize there is a house here and shoot in all directions. Or worse ... atv'ing in my freshly plowed field.

I put up signs, and told a select few they could come on. If I catch anyone without it in writing, I'll let the police deal with them, and the mechanic deal with their dismantled atv.

Quick Reply: smaller acreages = trail closings