Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Expensive trail

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive trail

I was just reading about a proposal for a new, paved connector trail near St. Cloud MN. The 3.6-mile stretch has an estimated price tag of $1.7 million, not including acquiring right of way. Maintenance costs are expected to be $1,000 per mile per year. The trail would be for pedestrians, bicyclists, and snowmobilers--no ATV's allowed. I would think that money could buy and maintain a lot more than 3.6 miles of ATV trails. I wonder how ATV'ers might tap such financial resources.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If it was for ATVers they wouldn't have to pave it in the first place. It's amazing how they throw around figures sometimes. At least the snowmobilers pay a registration fee. Bikers and walkers don't contribute.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Bikers and walkers don't contribute.
they make great targets

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Paved trail for snowmobilers?

Be interesting to see what happens after the first accident between a snowmobiler and pedestrian/cyclist.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

My town just paid 1.2milion for a sewage trail we now call a ''our riding area''. I hope they make more sewage trails. lol

Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Paved trail for snowmobilers?

Be interesting to see what happens after the first accident between a snowmobiler and pedestrian/cyclist.
I think the state uses pavement maintenance as an excuse for charging a higher registration fee for snowmobiles with studded tracks. I would guess the studs might poke some holes in the pavement if the snowpack wasn't very thick. Of course, there is also revenue from fines paid by snowmobilers who get caught riding on paved trails without paying the extra fee. The article didn't mention it, but there are getting to be a lot of inline skaters, and they need paved trails.

Snowmobilers currently share trails with hikers, but there aren't many people out walking in the winter. Believe it or not, we're starting to see bicyclists on the trails in the winter. They have special mountain bikes with extra wide tires. I don't expect any conflicts, since the winter bikers need the snowmobilers to pack the snow before they can ride on it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

I believe if you want to walk on the trail or bike on it you should hvae registration just like the rest of us or like everyone's cars. You want ot use then you pay for it. I have no problem paying for the dnr stickers for the wheelers to use the trails.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The problem is an old one. ATV's are not made for paved roads. Period. I suspect there have been a lot of lobby efforts regarding this trail by other groups. And they seem to be winning the argument. You have to ask why... Well for a couple reasons. 1) the snowmobilers operate when nobody else is out there other than a cross country skier or two. But generally, they have the trails to themselves. But TV's play when all the nature loving tree huggers out out on the trails. You have to admit that just about all the news about ATV's is negative. People acting like idiots, tearing up trails, doing wheelies, throwing garbage on the trails, Using way too much speed, numerous injuries and fatalities that could be avoided if they screwed their heads on tight, and parents paid closer attention. Yeah, there are reasons we don't get our way. I wonder how many of the right to ride(ers) out there have taken a day and helped build a bridge over sensative areas, or mark a trail etc. No, they usually sit back and b*#ch and moan about how they are losing their riding areas, but can't lift a finger to do something positive, or even admit they are part of the problem. All the rights in teh world are useless when you find yourselves limited to riding on your own property in a tight circle in the back yard. But by then it will be too late. ZThe only way this is going to work is to show the authorities that the sport is a family oriented outing that is practiced by intelligent people who actively take great pains to protect what they got and appreciate the areas they are allowed to use. It is in your hands.