Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

5-year-old dies in ATV crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just something I remembered w the news. The other day saw a lady on her beater bike and had a milk plastic crate secured with bungee cords with her 3 year old in it (attached on top of the rear tire).

Also saw another day a lady with a 3 wheeler bike, those that have a basket, some towels and the baby inside of it, and on the right hand controlling a dog on a leash.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

The manufacturers are required to place warning labels on ATVs, advising riders what they are not supposed to do with them...having multiple riders is one of the things that they are not supposed to do.

The tragic loss of the child is something that affects us all...and none of it is in a positive way...

The parents will mourn the loss of their child for the remainder of their lives.
The young woman driving the ATV will have to live with the guilt of killing the child.
Society will have yet another tooth in the saw they use to cut public land use out from under all of us.

I can't attach blame to a 5-year old, but I sure can attach it to the adult who was driving....and if the local district attorney has any ***** at all, he will file criminally negligent homicide charges against the driver and prosecute her to the full extent of the law.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
The manufacturers are required to place warning labels on ATVs, advising riders what they are not supposed to do with them...having multiple riders is one of the things that they are not supposed to do.

The tragic loss of the child is something that affects us all...and none of it is in a positive way...

The parents will mourn the loss of their child for the remainder of their lives.
The young woman driving the ATV will have to live with the guilt of killing the child.
Society will have yet another tooth in the saw they use to cut public land use out from under all of us.

I can't attach blame to a 5-year old, but I sure can attach it to the adult who was driving....and if the local district attorney has any ***** at all, he will file criminally negligent homicide charges against the driver and prosecute her to the full extent of the law.

Yes its a tragedy that a child was killed. But I dont feel sending someone to suffer the abuse of Prison will make anyone or anything better. As you stated the woman driving will live with the fact that her stupidity took a child's life. Look at the big picture, these people were all out having a great time. And because a woman did not think it through a child died. Here you want to punish her to the extent of the LAW, LMAO! Do the parents of the child want her to go to Prison? Opinions are like ****************, everybody has one!

Last edited by MooseHenden; 08-12-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just in the first page of comments, I find an alarming statistic that parents are riding with their child in front of them. They tend to become an instant airbag for you if you crash. Definately not a wise choice there either. Hey we all have done it. I used to think kids could be safely introduced at a young age. I have come full circle on that one over the years. Not sure where the safe age is anymore. I guess it comes down to proper example and training, and their ability to listen and obey, and concentrate on safe practices. At that age, the ability to stay focused is pretty limited. So time in the saddle should be limited.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps there should be some formal training for parents so they can gain a full understanding of the dangers and requirements really are for ATV ownership. I do not think we do enough of that. Dealers concentrate of selling product. Perhaps if they could at least hand out a brochure or something to really give parents a realistic view. The current stuff available really leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 9yo (7 when he got his first atv) always rides / rode a good 30-50' in front of me.
which is the best place for him for a few reasons...
first-there's too many blind spots trying to watch him in a mirror behind me, I can't focus or concentrate on choosing a good line to ride when I have to worry about him falling or stalling every 5 seconds.
Also, putting a child behind you creates quite a bit of stress in your child, as the child feels like he has to keep up and is not focusing on the trail- and the child is also fearful that his daddy wont see him if he falls or stalls. (exclusively expressed by my son on more than one occasion)
and- allowing the child to ride up front forces him to pay more attention to the trails and trail markings as if he were alone or leading on a group ride- teaches him how to choose the proper line and make decisions- a feeling he should get comfortable with when riding in the deep forest trails. He's also much more comfortable knowing his father can see him every second of the ride.

A childs atv shouldn't be going fast in the first place- so there should be no problem stopping your atv in time as long as your not kissing his rear-end.

I would personally never allow my child to ride his atv behind me, especially in a trail.

I actually just bought him a nice kfx 50 atv for Christmas. along with a new helmet, goggles, boots, jersey & gloves- The kfx is so much more stable and better built than the crappy Chinese 110 he was riding prior.

also- every dealer around here will actually pay you to take an atv safety course-

Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Good for you dad. You are involved, you are watchful, and you care enough to make sure he gets the right kind of experience. Hope he has a great time with the new machine. Love the new helmet and gear too. I wish we had more like you.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

My 5 year old rides a raptor 50 and has been riding it for over a year. Started out in fields and now he rides on some trails with us. He is between my buddy and me...that way I can watch him in front of me, and my buddy can control the speed we go and the lines ahed of him. Of course he always has a motocross helmet, goggles, gloves and boots on. I am ordering him a chest protector as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by gtsum2
I am ordering him a chest protector as well.

that's on the list of things to buy for him before spring comes around

Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Good for you dad. You are involved, you are watchful, and you care enough to make sure he gets the right kind of experience. Hope he has a great time with the new machine. Love the new helmet and gear too. I wish we had more like you.
I'll post a pic of him christmas morning sitting on his new kfx
I've almost given in a few times- I can't wait! I'm an excited dad

Quick Reply: 5-year-old dies in ATV crash