Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Atv/snomobile wars

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv/snomobile wars

Some really crazy stuff is going on in my county in Wisconsin. A new trail through county forest was closed to ATV'ers, but open to snowmobiles. I was told it was because snowmobile funds were used to build that trail on public land. The money came mostly from the local ATV/Snowmobile club. I really wonder if they could separate snowmobile funds from ATV funds. And even if they can, why would they want to? The club is discriminating against some of it's own members. Dumb move if they want to attract ATV members.

Another ridiculous situation closed most trails on public land to snowmobiles during the first two weeks of December. We had great snow then, but the county forestry department closed the trails. They said it was because of special deer seasons for antlerless deer and black powder. Yet, during the regular deer season in November, when the woods were crawling with people in pumpkin suits and gunshots were regularly heard, the trails were open.

I suspect politics of some sort are at the bottom of these otherwise illogical actions.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the trails I ride are closed to ATVs in the winter and reopen in spring. Snowmobiles only get to ride them in winter. Are they doing that or closing it all year to ATVs?

Old 01-04-2014, 04:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Same here, they groom trails for snowmobiles at big expense but ATVs would make a mess of things quick.
Atvs get to use the same trail for free the rest of the season.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

In NH where I do most of my winter riding, there are clubs that are made up of ATVers and snowmobilers. We share the costs and manpower of trail projects and maintenance. Generally speaking, on these kinds of cooperative trail systems we can ride ATV's as long as there is at least 6" of base snow on the trail and the temperatures are below freezing on the day of the ride. In the case of NH I think they realized that they could bring in even more tourist dollars if they let ATVers in during the winter. In the areas where we ride in the winter there is trail access to gas stations, and restaurants. We always make sure to use the local eateries to show our support. It's made for some truly epic rides.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know how much snow you get but here a atv on a groomed sled trail would hold up the parade .
Let the sleds have their "Groomed Trail" fun for 3 months @ 250 $ per season and we get the rest for free.

ATVs and snow really do not mix.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Range Rover

where i live snowmobiles own pretty much all the trails and we're not allowed on them in the off season either. basically here they are just stuck up ******** and think they are above everyone else

Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Andy578
where i live snowmobiles own pretty much all the trails and we're not allowed on them in the off season either. basically here they are just stuck up ******** and think they are above everyone else
Not here, 90% of the trails are on public land so its a free for all once the Organized Snowmobile system comes to a close in March.

I only sled in the winter yet I quit buying a $200 trail pass years ago. To many other places to ride without the need of their organized trails.

There are some clauses , they can not stop you if that Groomed sled trail is the only access to your camp ,ice fishing lake or trap line.

We have been caught on groom trails without a trail pass on our way to a fishing lake and they can,t do a thing, it sure steams them. LOL

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

We had a ride a couple winters ago where the snow off the groomed trail was waist deep. If your front tire caught the least little bit of soft stuff you were in deep quickly. We had the winches out at least a dozen times between half a dozen quads. Everyone had to winch out at some point. I've seen snowmobilers go right past ATV's that got caught in the soft stuff but I've never seen an ATVer leave a snowmobiler stranded.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The few times we did try ATVing on a Sled trail we also found the soft deep sides stuck you towards them like a magnet.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by TLC
The few times we did try ATVing on a Sled trail we also found the soft deep sides stuck you towards them like a magnet.
Yep, exactly what was happening to us.

Quick Reply: Atv/snomobile wars