Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Rode an unregistered quad on a closed Timberline Trail this weekend!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode an unregistered quad on a closed Timberline Trail this weekend!!

Well, I resisted the urge for quite a while now... Lets see.... angry young man refuses to conform.. yeah that sounds like a good start to a homework assignment.... Let's set a few things out on the table for comment shall we...
1) Numbers of registered ATV's in the great state of PA is misleading. They actually contain a sizable number of out of state residents... as several states like Virginia do not have registration programs.. nor do they have or use funds for trail building, maintenence etc... If Virginians want to ride in another state that requires a registration.. they either have to register in that state or find another one that will take their money. Case in point.... I tried to ride in WISCONSIN last year... but because I live in Virginia, where there is no registration, I had to either register it in WISCONSIN and pay Sales TAX all over again, or find a state that I can register it in... in this case PA was the cheapest choice. IT didn't matter to WISCONSIN that I was born there, owned property there, and had only stepped foot in my home state maybe 2 times in the past 30 years... and it didn't matter that I wanted to ride on my own land... so I chose not to play...

2) I think everyone agrees that the sport is in the fight for it's life. Those of you that live in states where the local government is taking action to "support" or at least recognise the existance of the sport in general... well, you are at an advantage compared to those of us who live in states that ignore us totally.

The real challenge is how to take this anger and frustration and bend it into something useful, and something that will induce change. You say you won't pay the registration fee.. well then, don't complain about trails being closed.. in many cases because of lack of funding. Some may say that the state is misusing funds... then what are you doing about it? Did you contact local authorities and hold their feet to the fire? Did you join your voice to that of many local groups that are fighting this and many other ATV access related battles in court, and in the media?

No you say? Well then why not. You indicate you are young... and have friends that feel like you do... and you think you do not have a voice or can't do anything to make a change.... oh so wrong.... Didn't they teach you anything in Civics?

Does it surprise you when older people feel that young people just don't care? Well, if you don't care enough to get yourself involved and use the system to your benefit to effect change... I can see how people might question your sincerity..

None of this is easy... and you will lose more battles that you win... but the important thing is to get involved and make a difference.. and support those programs that are in place that support the sport you love. If that means paying a fee every year.. then so be it. With that payment, you have a certain amount of expectation that the funding will be used to expand your sport. Let them know you are watching where that money is being spent.

The answer to this and many other issues... is YOU. The choice is yours to make... Lead, Follow, or get the he# out of the way....

Old 06-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

Wow, I was really shocked to see this thread resurface after over 3 years. I actually had forgotten about it, mostly due to fact that shortly after I posted it I sold my race bike and quit riding completely. About a month ago I purchased a new yfz450 and all the "old" issues are starting to come back into focus. Since the original post 3 years ago nothing has change here in Pa, rather nothing has changed for the better. Every year the number of atv owners in Pennsylvania increases. Unfortunately the cost of registraion increases, the restrictions on riding get tougher, riding areas close or become untouchable "natural resources", and atv owners are usual viewed as crimials and hellraisers.

Its has come to the point where the only places that i feel legit riding on are motocross tracks. I checked the Pa DNF wbsite a few nights ago and reviewed the trails that were listed there. There are now just over 300 miles of state operated trails in this state. Which admittedly is an increase from 3 years ago, but guess what...it is still not enough. Some websites estimate anywhere from 500-700,000 atvs in Pa now, others claim that nearly 1 in 5 pennsylvanians own an atv, which would make the total over 2 million. Regardless of what the actual number is the situation here looks dismal for atv owners

Old 06-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sadly, I think we as a group have earned a lot of the bad blood by either our direct actions, or our lack of taking action... Too often, not only in print media, but on forums like this, you have riders jokingly talk about their antics... bragging even about running from law enforcement etc... What tehy do not realize is that the officer doing the chasing is being put at risk. I wonder how someone would feel if they knew of a police officer being injured or killed while "Chasing" one of us... Imagine having to walk up to the guy's spouse, or kids and telling htem that Daddy isn't coming home because he was chasing an ATV. It happens.

The bottom line in my book is pretty clear. We as a group need to band together to protect our rights to ride... and we need to correct fellow riders when they act irresponsibly.

For those that are listening... I wonder how long it would have taken searchers to find that lost boy in Utah if it weren't for the use of ATV's. Probably would have had a different outcome too...

Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like three years tends to mature thy rebellious riders.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Lon
Trailblazer

I'll gladly pay my $35 every year to ride the Timberline, and the other trails at the ANF. The place is a treat to ride, and if it costs me $100 a year for my two sons and I to ride, then fine. Your trails are as nice as I've seen, even compared to those in my home state. We really enjoy riding in PA, particularly in the ANF. I know it's costly to all of us that use it, but at least it doesn't fall entirely on the backs of all Pennsylvanians, which surely would be cause for discussion.

One thing I have seen though... PA ATV registration is around $20 for two years. Ohio's is $8 for three years. I'm not sure how that compares across the country, but it does appear that PA is a little on the high side in terms of registration. In terms of the use fees... everyone pays the same to ride in the ANF.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

It might depend on the amount of funding being spent on maintaining your state's trail programs etc... hard to say... might be worth looking into though...

Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

how come you can spend thousands on a quad and cant spend 35 dollars a year to ride legally

Old 07-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

dear god let it go, this topic is over 3 years old and i am still getting crap for it...let it die already, christ

Old 07-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

sorry man i didn't realize how old it was

i feel stupid now LOL

Old 07-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

no problem buddy