Chain Saw

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never owned a chain saw. I am looking for a small-medium size chain saw that could be mounted on the rear rack of my Rancher. We run across fallen trees on our trails where we ride.

Please give me the make & model & why you like it

thanks

Old 05-10-2000, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

we bought a craftsman saw with a 2.3 motor and a 16 in. bar. it was cheap and has yet to fail us.we took off the 16 in. bar and put on a 10 in on now its compact and it screams with the smaller chain on

Old 05-10-2000, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Snowshark:
You'll probably laugh when you hear this, but here goes: I think that for the money, you can't go wrong with the Husquavarna line of chain saws. I used to sell them at a farm supply store, and very rarely did we ever have one come back for repair. The most common problem I saw was that people were using the kill switch, then forgetting they "killed" it, so it wouldn't start until they flipped the switch back on. My cousin has done a lot of logging in the past, and currently owns one of nearly every brand out there, including stihl, mcculloc, poulan, homelite, sears and husky. The husky is the only saw he keeps inside his house. He swears up and down that it is by far the best saw on the market.

This is where people have a problem. Husquavarna saws are mostly plastic. As a result, they are very light. Vibration is minimal, and the saws always run very smooth and very efficiently. They do have many different models and sizes to choose from as well, however for occasional use, such as what you suggested for the fallen trees on the trails, something in a 16" bar would be fine. Most loggers don't really like the husky because of the plastic, but for the money, and the good reputation that I have seen and heard of from them, I don't think you could go wrong with a good husky saw. They also have a "wood cutters kit" that is a hard plastic case that houses your saw, extra oil, files and gloves, which can easily be bolted onto the rack of your atv. (I'll be buying probably a "rancher" model in the next few weeks.)

Anyhow, hope this helps, or at least gives you another option. Good luck in your search.

Mike

Old 05-10-2000, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Cowboy. Hondas and Huskys, doesn't get any better. I have a Rancher 4x4 ES and a Husquavarna Model 51 chain saw with an eighteen inch bar. I bought them both for the same reason... dependabilility. I'm happy with both.
Buy a Husky case and bungy cord it to the rack.

Old 05-11-2000, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

I've got a Stihl 028 WoodBoss. I don't think they make it anymore. Now the woodboss is a 024. They do however make the 029.

Look at Stihl products here: http://www.stihl.com/produkte/motor/

Old 05-11-2000, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

one word Husquavarna!!!!!

Old 05-11-2000, 02:00 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I own a Echo 500VL,Stihl 045,Stihl 034 I would recomend a 028 with a 18 inch bar or so for lightness. But where I ride my 24 inch bar cannot cut threw some of the trees!

Old 05-11-2000, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Husky 51 with an 18" bar is a great all around saw light very little vibration,but a Stihl is also my dad has an 041 Stihl we used it every winter for 15 yrs now only use it on those rare large trees its over 20yrs old and will still start on the second pull. So with a Husky or a Stihl theres no way you could make a bad choice.

Old 05-11-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

All the saws mentioned are good saws but, for the occasional sawing to clear trails, I'd buy the cheapest one I could find. Now, if I was planning on cutting a dozen cords of wood a year, then I would get the best one I could afford. But that's just me.

Old 05-11-2000, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. If your just going to use it to clear downed trees on trails, get something cheap. When I was a kid, we had a Mac, Eager Beaver. 12" bar and you could use it one handed. It was like $60 brand new. BTW in the new Dennis Kirk, I saw a mounting bracket for chain saws.

Quick Reply: Chain Saw