Default Article on ATV ban in MPLS Star Tirbune

CLICK HERE

if that doesn't work:

TRY THIS ONE

Old 06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sounds like a hard a** but this is somehow the ATV's fault? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

"The Minnesota's youngest victim last year was 3-year-old Dylan Walker of Itasca County. In May 2002, he started and then rode an unattended, six-wheel ATV. He was killed when he fell off and the ATV ran over him.

"He was so young I don't think he even realized what he was doing, said Walker's father, Jerry Perrington, of Cohasset.

I'm all for safety but I'm more for parental/owner responsibility....we don't need more regulations.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Rook, I agree 100%. Personal responsiblity and liability come first.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Correct me if I am wrong, but currently you're not supposed to be on an adult sized ATV if you're under 16. And yet kids still are. So what, exactly, is such a ban supposed to accomplish? Parents are obviously not bright enough to get it with the current restrictions, adding new ones won't make any difference.

What WILL make a difference is education. Let me buy a 300cc machine for my 13 year old and let me put him in safety training. THIS will make a difference. I know because my 13 year old HAS been through training (I taught him) and rides safely and responsibly.

I think they need to go the other direction. Remove the cc limits they have today and insist on training instead. To buy an ATV, a youth must have passed a safety training course. I think even irresponsible parents would agree with that one.

The Strib, btw, doesn't like ATV's. Kids die on bicycles every day, but if a kid gets hurt on or around an ATV, the Strib is sure to mention it.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Pechmial,

your points are correct. Education is the way to go. I am a certified instructor through the MNDNR, but I am refraining from setting up any course until this gets ironed out. I would have to believe that the CPSC and the federal gov't has more say to these issues than the state of MN.

I do agree that the cc limits are, in some cases, ridiculous. My 13 year old now stands 5' 11''. Is he supposed to fit on any 90 cc machine? According to the CPSC he should. But when his knees hit the handle bars, he can not handle the atv in a safe manner due to the cramped design. His range of movement is limited.

What would be nice is if the manufacturers made intermediate machines for those riders who are of a larger stature. We have the mini's and the full size machines. The do it for the dirt bikes with larger tires. But I'm sure cost would be an issue there. But either way, if we could have machine that are fully suspended with the dimensions of a Suzuki LT160 or a Yamaha Breeze many of these kids would have a better/safer option.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

The manufacturers DO make intermediate machines. They're called things like "Blaster", "Recon", "Breeze", "TrailBlazer", and "Ozark" (to name a few). These are machines that properly fit your 13 year old and mine (who's about the same size). This is the subtle lie of the ATV industry. Look at almost any 90cc machine and it's pretty clear they're designed for the 5-11 year olds despite what the label reads. The machines I mentioned above are likewise designed for the larger teens (or smaller adults - same thing), again, despite what the label says. The manufacturers are no dummies, they know who these machines are being bought for.

All I want is for the lie to be made true. Let the kids ride machines they fit. Let them do it after they've been certified and have passed a safety course. I don't think a 13 year old should be set on a Raptor, but I don't see the problem with a properly trained 13 year old on a Z250.

I also wish Polaris would wake up and cooperate with the ASI safety training. In the article they say that "customer warranties are not valid until buyers watch a 20-minute safety video and complete a training course in how to maneuver their machines." I've bought two different Polaris machines from two different dealers. The first one, when asked about the "training course" said "well, I guess we could set up some cones in the parking lot." The second one had me drive back and forth in their lot (twice) and swerve just to show I knew what I was doing. To be fair, both required me to watch the video. If it wasn't for the ASI safety training I received when I bought my Arctic Cats (which I was actually PAID to take) I'd have no real training at all. It's this training I use as a model when teaching my kids.

Sheesh, I could rant on this topic all day!

Old 06-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Pechmial,

your right again. The Blaster would fit into the top end of the intermediate category. But as far as the Trailblazer, I wouldn't include it due to it's full size (with the exception of the motor). Dimensionally, the Trailblazer is closer to the fullsize Scrambler as far as the reach to the handlebars and foot pegs. The Blaster is a little more compact, but very peppy for a small machine.

I too was paid to take the ASI training after I bought my DS650. They could certainly introduce a 125cc-200cc 4-stroke with a slightly smaller stature to help graduate kids into the full size machines when they are physically and mentally capable of handling one. For some reason, this area is grossly overlooked compared to the rest of the machines that are available.

Our sons might be able to handle machines like the Recon, Ozark, Blaster, or the Breeze ok, but for those who are a little smaller, but yet too big for the 90cc machines, there needs to be more available for this group.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot about the Trailblazer being full sized. There are a few "odd make" ATVs in the right size range (Eton makes one, for example) but the mainstream manufacturers certainly have avoided it.

Not that I necessarily advocate this, but my son can handle my Predator. But when I buy him his own machine it will be smaller in CCs (and he actually wants it this way.) I'll add that he never rides the Predator outside of my supervision and knows he will get yanked off for inappropriate behavior or stupid stunts.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't that same article also state that starting July 1st, kids 12 and up can attend a safety coures with hands on training and ability testing to qualify for an adult size ATV? if so , my 12 yr old won't have a problem,he's been riding his 300ex for 2 years now, with no accidents or problems, and is a very responsible rider. A ban on all youth riders would pretty much kill the ATV industry, no teenager is going to be putting around on a 90 cc mini with his knees by his ears, how safe is that ???

Old 06-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

95wolv,

that was correct. As of July 1st, youth 12 and over may be certified in MN to ride full size machines. There are certain criteria they must meet first. Physical size and ability of course are a couple.

I asked while going through the training to be an instructor why the state of MN felt it was able to bypass the CPSC and manufacturers requirements and they had no answer other than they were mandated by the legislature to offer the training.

This could be viewed as a double edged sword I'm afraid. First off, it's good that MN is taking a stance ahead of other states to offer the training to make our sport safer. Second, it could turn around a nip us in the rear. In the event that someone gets hurt, will this turn around against the state with defendants in lawsuits saying the state said it was ok? In the event of a lawsuit, this could directly affect our fund for establishing trails.

As I mentioned in anearlier post, as a MNDNR certified instructor, I will refrain from offering any course until these CPSC hearings are over with and see how it affects Minnesota's efforts to make our sport safer.

Quick Reply: Article on ATV ban in MPLS Star Tirbune