Custom 5X10(12)'; dual axle, low-slung; all-alum. trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom 5X10(12)'; dual axle, low-slung; all-alum. trailer?

Need to find something with minimum 14" wheels; a rear ramp and extruded 2X6 side rails (2 or 3 spaced).

Vehicle is 54.5" wide with stock tires, changed to 26" MudLites which will probably take it out to near the 5 foot interior dimension.

Wheelbase is at 75" with a total length of 114".

The weight of the vehicle is well within a single axle rating.............yet I feel more comfortable with the duals on long trips with hours between significant towns and unpredictable lake-effect weather (also, there is no problem handling blowouts with a substitute rookie driver behind the wheel at 70-75 mph).

I realize that cramming a 114' machine into a 120" trailer leaves no room for proper weight distribution; yet thought that the second axle may help on the 10 footer......... or go with the 12' and simply slide it back to the rear a bit to obtain the proper tongue weight.

I have yet to see a dual axle 10 foot "anything" and have no idea how it would pull loaded; let alone if I properly weighted it unloaded. Wouldn't want anything over 5' wide; as I enjoy not having to drive perfectly 'straight' in the lane for 10-12 hours at a time (my 4 1/2 foot is a dream to pull, as it always tracks exactly where the truck will squeeze through).

Very hard to go back to steel once you've had the aluminum and wonder if anybody knew of a smaller trailer shop that would custom build this fairly "simple" trailer?

I'm striking out with the bigger manufacturers who are all obviously geared to production work and are hard-pressed to find the time for "one-offs". Won't settle for wood decks or rails (Loadmaster) and certainly don't expect any replies.........just had to ask and thanks in advance for any possible help out there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Heres a few places-

Aluminum Trailer.com

Allstate Trailers

Mattoon Trailers

Do a search for custom aluminum trailers on your search engine and you'll come up with many more. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to thank you, Diablo; as I finally got Mattoon to take on the job of quoting this.

One thing that just struck me today in regards to all these trailer "engineers" from all over this country and their unanimous contention that a 10 foot tandem axle "won't pull worth a damn"...........how many short, dual axle "U-Haul" trailers do you see going down the road every day? Just goes to show you how something can grow into "fact" when people are dealing with the same job day in and day out with their blinders on.........how long have people been building these things, anyways?

There is another long list (the largest I've seen yet) of trailer manufacturers in the latest issue of All Terrain or ATV Magizine.

Thanks again for the help.