New vehicle time....need help/opions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vehicle time....need help/opions

One thing to keep in mind.....DIESEL! Those that hate it don't own it.

Good stuff
1. unmatched torqe
2. excellent milage
3. longevity, longevity, longevity
4. they sound cool

Bad stuff
1. don't get too close to emty out in the sticks....not everyone sales diesel
2. they take lots of oil.....mine takes 15-1/2 qts.
3. not near as fast off the line
Most people don't buy them to race so who cares about 3.

Both Ford's Power Stroke and Chevy's Duramax are outstanding engines! I agree with IMPORTH8R though....if you get the Power Stroke get the 7.4L. I've heard of some dissapointment with the 6.0L. Let them work the bugs out.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

i think that H2's were made for women[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. if you are going to get a hummer, get an H1.

i completely agree with just4kicks. make sure you get a diesel. you also don't have to worry about spark plugs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 10-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

RiDeNrEd03, why isnt the 03-04 Chevy Silverado 2500HD in your choices? 6.6L Duramax Diesel or 8.1L are very powerful. You want luxury correct? Well every magazine I read that has the Ford F250, Dodge 2500, and the Silverado 2500 competing the Silverado always has the best ride and is the most comfortable. Some people dont like the front ends, I dont specially but when it comes down to it, its got enough to back it up. I have heard of problems with the new 6.0L Powerstroke, I have never heard any complaints about the 6.6L Duramax. The H2s are very nice but the gas mileage? DAMN!!!!! If you got about 120-135 grand get the H1 heh.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

i think that H2's were made for women. if you are going to get a hummer, get an H1.
Amen!

If you got about 120-135 grand get the H1 heh.
We picked one up for $35000 used in good condition. Sold it though.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avalanche, hummer h2 - glorified suburban. avalanche has a weak chassis, not a flame, just a fact. H2 is much more rigid, but still built on a suburban. 5.3L is underpowered in the 1/2 ton avalanche, 6.0L is pretty good in the H2. 8.1L makes mad power, but you are looking at about 9-12 mpg and its for the 3/4 ton avalanche only. which btw has better frame / towing capacity

tahoe - mini suburban. 5.3L is a good powerplant for this truck, 6.0L would be better, good towing capacity.

expedition - big brother of explorer. still underpowered, soon to get engine upgrade. Also good towing capacity with IRS setup. Lots of new options availible.

Ford truck - 1/2 ton - new 2004 models are great. lots of hp (300 or so), best in class towing capacity, nicest interior ive ever seen in any kind of pickup.
- 3/4 ton - old style for now, good trucks, but outdated and underpowered now. still had best in class towing and torque.
- superduty 3/4 and 1 ton - excellent trucks, great towing capacity. 7.3L diesel was good. 6.0L diesel has some problems, should be fixed by end of year.
6.8L v10 makes great hp, but similar gas issues as with chevy 8.1L v8. Best towing capacity of the vehicles you listed.

Interiors on the Chevy trucks are very comfortable. Some cheapness in the plastic interiors but its that way with some ford products too. Ford interiors also pretty nice. Expedition not quite up to par with the chevrolets, but very nice. Hummer would be nicest, followed by the new for f150's. then the chevys, the expedition, and the sd fords. but of course, they are heavy duty trucks, they dont have to be as refined.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

but you are looking at about 9-12 mpg
AAWW come on now your just tryin to make it sound bad I mean we're gettin at least 13mpg out of ours.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I base everything i say on these forums on my own first hand experience and what i have personally seen. A friend of the family has a 2003 Chevy 3/4 ton crew cab longbox 4x4 LT and it was running about 10.8 most of the time. Lucky 13![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 11:57 AM
NYC
Pro Rider

i think that H2's were made for women. if you are going to get a hummer, get an H1.
Well I don't think he wants to spend a $100,000 for a Hummer!!
The H2's Are fine! Yall Just Hating for some odd Reason!! *Made for woman my Azz*
If I wan't looking for a truck, I'd Rather get an H2!!
& if you want to help me get a Real Hummer, I can take donations! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

MadDog,

I get 12 in town, 14 on the highway. You are correct about the Avalanche/Suburban sharing frames, which are now hydro-formed. All the truck forums I visit all point to the 8100 running better with the 4.10 rear, actually getting better milage, from what I understand puts the 8100 more into its optimal rpm range for efficiency. I can tow my 20ft trailer with my old Camaro on it up over the Zilwaukee in tow/haul mode, it doesnt even downshift with the cruise on 65. If the wife never drove my truck I would have bought a crew cab with the duramax. She felt that truck, even with the shortbox felt alot harder to manuever than the AV. I feel all the big 3 make a good pulling truck as long as you buy the correct engine/trans package for your needs.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hey now!! maybe i am a freak! I was just statin' my opinion!!! I'm a chevy girl! I'm first vehicle was a '72 chevy pick-up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New vehicle time....need help/opions