Light Winch for a Rancher ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Light Winch for a Rancher ?????

I am mostly worried that the extra weight out front will affect the stearing. I use the utes for riding real tight (50" wide) mountain trails, with hairpin turns, steep dropoffs, etc. Anytime you load the front down, the stearing is going to suffer! Can't afford to give up any steering agility, and the ability to wheelie the front over trail obstacles, is important! On the other hand, I can certainly see the need for a winch on a big, heavy machine, that can't be easily manhandled when it is in trouble. 30 lbs. may not be a lot when hung on the front of a 700 lb. Polaris, but it is a lot when hung on the little Rancher.

The Warn is light, compared to the competition. But, they could have lightened things up even more, by using lighter alloy metals in the mounting hardware. But, obviously this would increase cost.

I also got the Black Max Ratchet Winch (weight 9 lbs., with accessories). My original intention was to keep the ratchet on the 2X4 Rancher, and the Warn on the 4X4. The ratchet instructions say: "Capacity rating (900 lbs.) is the maximum line tension the winch can withstand with one layer of strap around the drum. Capacity decreases.......with more than one layer around the drum".

One thing I don't like about the ratchet is that it attaches to the rack, and can the rack take 900 lbs. of pull? If I were by myself, I can see putting it on the rack, and working the throtle with one hand and the ratchet with the other. If in a group, I would just attach it to the frame, and have someone else work the ratchet.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light Winch for a Rancher ?????

I like the Black Max ATV Hand Ratchet Winch because it would'nt be attached to one ATV. You could use it with any ATV in the group. I think it is going to get ordered soon. It will replace the old come-along. A flat gas can is next. The accessory kit looks like a great deal too.

DON'T FORGET THE TREE SAVER!!!!!