got some ps2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some ps2 problems

My ps2 isn't playing any of my ps1 games. All it says is "Disc Read Error". Also it seems to be leaving white marks on the back of some of my ps2 games. Once my games get these white marks on them they don't load properly and the game freezes up. It happend to my gta vice city game and my socom game. I tried to wipe the marks off, but they wont come off. Can anyone help me?

Old 01-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

Have no fear, the PS2 doctor is here.(CUE HERO MUSIC)
It sounds like your lens is set to high or the trey has settled down. Either way, Id say you need to adjust the height of the lens. I cant say for sure thats what the problem cuz I cant see it. But here's what you do. Take the top cover off the ps2. Take the screws out of the bottom, all of them and remember where they go. There should be about 10 or 11 and 2-4 of them should be about 2.5" long itd be easier to remember where THEY go. But anways. When you take the cover off, WATCH OUT FOR THE RIBBON FOR THE OPEN/RESET BUTTONS. IF it comes out of the buttons, its ok, but if it comes out from one of the boards, youll have a time putting it back together...trust me....I know(thanks to an ignorant cousin). But just set the ps2 down flat and stand the cover up next to it, its simple that way. NEXT, there should be about 4 small screws holding on the cover of the cd reader. Take them out and take it off. Next, plug in the ps2 and open the trey. There should be a white gear near the back. Mark on it where it is currently and turn it either 1-2 turns either way, try to turn it down if you can figure it out which way to go with it, I think clockwise is the way to go. But put the cd cover back on, you dont have to screw it on, but place it back on and you can hold it on if you wish while you test it. Just test it and see if it works, if not, experiment with the gear again. Each model is different and each ps2 responds differently. If it does, reassemble it.
Id say that should do it. Ive never heard of it leaving a mark, but when you take the cover off, you can look in there to see if there is any foreign body that might be doing it before you mess with the lens.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me(lethalaudio@hotmail.com or if you got AIM, Im on usually till about 1am EST). Its not a hard process, just kinda nerve racking if youve never messed with electronics, but its easy. Just be sure to mind that ribbon.
Good Luck

Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Roosthrower, mine has done the EXACTLY same thing, not only to my Vice City game, but Huevos 6 as well, and it did something to The Matrix Reloaded. THANKYOU LEATHAL AUDIO, ill have to try that tomorrow when ive got time, i was about to take that piece back to wally world and get another, but i cant since i dont have the box, thanks for the help!

Old 01-14-2004, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

no problem, if it ever gets to where it just wont read dvds or games or whatever, 99.9 percent of the time its that obnoxious gear. Let me know how it goes. That thing is screwy on lots of ps2s. Also, if you run your PS2 vertical, dont. Run it flat/horizontal. Itll keep ALOT of that from happening again. People that run theirs flat are far less likely to experience any lens problems, i read that in a few mags and heard about it from a few major gaming sites so i listened to them. When my lil bro got his i told him to run it flat and he has since and so far, no problems.
One more thing to lengthen the life of your ps2...dont leave it runnin overnight. Save you game and put it on standby till you play again. Yea, you can run it for months at a time, but you wouldnt want to leave your car running overnight would you?
All this comes from experience....just trust me...itll save you alot of money and frustration later on.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

yep, i got that vertical stand, so i run it vertical, since it does mess it up over time, shouldnt that be a defect?? They should not allow you to buy the stand with out warning you about it, thats just a wasted $14.00 i have spent. guess ill try to fix it when i get home today and ill let you know the results. thanks.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know how to get the marks off? I tried scrubbing them off but they wont come off.

Old 01-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just took a look all over the thing and i cant find any screws on the outside of it, can you tell me where they are? thanks.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

I think those marks are perminate, I use rubbing alcohol though and a cloth for my eye glasses to take everything else off though. You might want to look into one of them cd repair things. Looks like a fan with little green blades. I think blockbuster has them.
But those screws are under the covers, There should be 4 rubber ones and the rest are just plastic. Take anything like a small flathead screwdriver or even a knife or fork and just pry them up, they pop right back in place.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

DUH! i didnt try popping them off because i thought they were glued, oh well, learn something new everyday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] thanks again!

Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

who wants to play ps1 games anyway? lol

Quick Reply: got some ps2 problems