Camping with ATVs....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping with ATVs....

Starting to plan a 2-3 night camping trip on the ATVs. We'll be camping on the trail.
I'm looking for advice/a link and cheklists on what to take. I know a tent, extra gas etc....but what else is highly recommended?
Thanks.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Where ya campin at?

Don't forget extra TP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'll be camping on the Paiute trail in Utah. I figure a roll will last me 3 days easy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Any experiences good/bad w/ camping w/ your ATVS?

Old 02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Typical camping stuff....waterproof/windproof matches, maybe a magnesium(?) bar to help start a fire, thermal blanket (thin silver thingy), tire plugs and a pump, fresh water tablets, aspirin, first aid stuff, mace or other defensive weapon, all the tools you'll need to fix your quad...

Old 02-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

We go on a 3 nite - 4 day trip every year since 1995. It started with me and the brother in law trying to go on his bike. Our trip (@ 500 miles return) involved all woods and no gas available except for what we bring. We wanted to spend it in our deer hunting area to do some summer scouting and some shoreline fishing, however, by the time we had everything packed on his bike for 2 guys, there was no room for me!!!!

We postponed the trip for a few weekends so we could build a trailor and modify the winch, it now goes front and rear. The weekend of July 1 we packed the trailor with:

20 ft X 30 ft tarp and 1/4" rope for tent shade/rain coverage, 9 ft X 9 Ft tent, sleeping bags, clothing for all weather (you get dusty on ride, it rains, it get warm in day, it gets cold at nite, etc...) two coolers for food for 4 days. One is large and food is packed tightly in cooler with heavy items at bottom and no meat and the second we took a 15" X 12" X 12" cooler and put 4 inches of water in it and put it in freezer and let freeze this way for the meat and beer (ice stays longer this way), can food packs easy and on first day we pack sandwinches and quick snacks, you don't want to be packing a hot stove midway through the ride, frozen water in plastic bottles packs easy in large cooler and when it melts -no mess/drinking water, CAN BEER which gets added to small cooler when possible, folding chairs, propane lantern, propane stove, propane fuel bottles, disposable plates/knives/forks, frying pan, coffee/sugar/powdered milk and pot or kettle, can opener, bar of soap (Lake baths), rags & towels, tool kit with spark plugs/tire plugs/portable compressor/electrical tape/wire, portable battery radio, Axe, matches/lighter, TOILETTE PAPER - 2 rolls (can be used to lite fire), fishing rods and tackle, lures & bait, garbage bags (We take out what we bring in), GAS...

That was basically the first trip... Last year we had 5 couples (3 friends came with us in 1997 but a couple of years ago one of the friends had to big of a mouth and the wives heard about a party we attended at a camp back there and well now we are 5 couples). Each couple now has their own trailor and weve added some more items;

Canoes, oars, life jackets, my fish finder, batteries, gps, compass, flashlites, 10 ft X 16 ft tarp which makes the 4ft X 4ft square washroom by adding 5 gallon pail with garbage bag in it for toilette (some wives have this issue with natures restrooms , 14-38 channel talk-a-bout radios with voice activation and ear pieces for talking to one another on ride,

Anyway, thats all I can think about right now with these few feet of snow on the ground, but have a look at my pics, theres a few pics with the bike just prior to leaving last summer with the canoe loaded on top and the trailor attached.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PACK LIKE A BACKPACKER WOULD!

I have quad camped a few times. I just hate how the bikes handle with a load on them. I have gone back to the "travel light and fast" day trip approach.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

That's all great info..I only got 2 racks! LOL...Honcho..thanks a ton!...
I like the lighter/faster approach. There'll be about 4 of us , so I guess we can split the stuff up.
That's a lot of beer to pack for 2 nights for 4 people though.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I carry all the stuff I need for a week in the Action packer tott, the big one with the hinged top. Sleeping bag, tent, freeze dried meals, first aid kit, small pot, coffee pot, one burner stove,small bottle of whitegas, silverware,bowl,plate, cup, MagLite+extra batteries, knives, extra clothes, camp shoes, hot cocoa, coffee, sugar, creamer,candybars,can fruit, headlamp, camp chair, book,2 rolls tp in ziploc bags,50 rounds for pistol, 20 for rifle,game regs, spices, onions,potatoes,steak for the first night {tradition} beer, extra rope{550 cord}, insect repelant, water purifier and water bottles{2}{1qt} If I am going longer I will add extra meals and candy. Fits everything including the sleeping bag, I just take it out of the stuf sack and cram it in on top of everything and shut the top. Under the tote I put 2 tarps 16x20 and a 8x10 and strap it down. On top of the tote I bungee my Goretex and a folding camp grill. On the front of the wheeler I put a 5 gallon and a 2 1/2 gallon gas cans. Everything is contained and I still have room if I want to add something. Now if my wife goes i need to pull the meat trailer but that does not happen to much and if if she does go, I have several old trapper cabins that everyone has helped to keep up and I will try to get one of those. Otherwise I camp out. I have an axe and shovel attached to the rear rack all the time, never know when you will need it. As for what you need to carry, it is up to you as you would know your needs. Find the container you want to use to put everything in {Action Packer totes are great for this} and start putting stuff that you think you might need and when it is full and still have stuff left out start pulling out things that you might need and replace it with what you need. Everytime you go you will find things that you do not use and the next time you can trade it for something that you did need, a small notebook works well for keeping a reminder of what you forgot and needed. How about a firearm? Do you carry a weapon? I bring one with me {handgun} when ever I go riding, it works well for the 4 legged critters as well as the 2 legged. How about some Topo maps of the area you plan on going. You might know the area well but it never hurts to have. I used to go camping every weekend before I had kids and now that they are getting older I will be able to get back into it, of course it will mean taking the trailer as I have triple everything, momma carries her own on her wheeler. I run a hunting camp with my 3 buddies and we haul in a ton of supplies to it but it is very comfortable 3 weeks, nothing is spared for comfort. Sleeping cots, large camp stove, 10x20 tent,one cooler for beer one for soda, one for meat, one for fresh vegtables and coffee creamer. Nothing is spared. Takes a week to set up and we can break it down in 8 hours and then we got to haul it back to the truck and we still have to haul out the moose. So you see, with the fourwheeler the sky is your limit and how comfortable do you want to be. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Watch out for big foot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alsakaboy. Yeah, I carry a Glock 22. I also have the cargo thing you talk about. Did you mount it with U-bolts? I'd like a more temporary solution than the U bolts.. But I do like the capacity of the thing.