what system to put in a 97 jeep grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what system to put in a 97 jeep grand cherokee

i am getting my license soon and my sister gave me her old car so i want to put a sweet system in it but try not to spend an enormous amount of money

any ideas??

Old 02-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

First thing should be a decent head unit, I have a Sony that puts out 52 watts per channel, and replace the stock speakers with some aftermarkets. Stock speakers cost about a dollar a piece.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thomez
First thing should be a decent head unit, I have a Sony that puts out 52 watts per channel, and replace the stock speakers with some aftermarkets. Stock speakers cost about a dollar a piece.
hes correct... but instead of gettin a sony deck id go for a cheaper alpine... they go for about the same... and as for speakers if there in ur budget i recomend dynaudio's or diamond audios both do great... then u want to go for subs... my friend has 2 Memphis M Class 10's (cheap subs that pound good) off a Sony Xplod 1000 watt amp and it sounds great... its in 2 seperate memphis hatch boxes... very good and not very expensive... hope that helped....

Old 02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

yes it did thanks for the info

Old 02-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

i'd say make it fast instead of spending money on sound.

our 97 Grand Cherokee has a very nice sound system from the factory (even though some bastard stole the 12 disc changer).

the 4.0L engine is VERY responsive to the few mods that are out for it.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

id get get a nice box $90 circut city, two mtx 12" subs, maybe $80-$120/each, and a cheap amp...like a legacy or something...(not a pyramid)---youll need at least 600 watt--$150-$200 on ebay used.......then......keep your stock speakers, grand cherokees have a decent sound system to begin with.....splice your amp imput off the rear spekers in the jeep, get an rca adapter--radio shack--$7-$12, and run some power back to the battery......itl sound good, and only cost you $450-500.......thats the bootleg way of makin a soundsystem, but youll be able to hear it from am adjacent car....
oh, and if you do have a 4.0L, i wouldnt waist your time....they are quite slow, and will always be quite slow in a grand cherokee at least........and if you beat on it, youll need a transmission in no time......(the 42re transmission is particularly weak)
(i work at a jeep dealer)

Old 02-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I am not going to try and make it fast because it is a jeep and when i come in to more money i am going to try and get a 2 door car and make that fast.

and yes i am going to beat on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Ok, first off I need to know a few things
1) How much room do you want the system to take up.
2) How loud do you want it to be.
3) Exactly how much money do you plan to spend
4) Are you doing the work yourself or do you plan to have a professional install it?
5) If you do plan to build it yourself, what type of box and material do you plan to use.
6) Do you want the emphasis to be on bass or do you want more on mids and highs...or all around?

Its best to get something more than you know you want. I started off with 2 12s in my bronco...then wanted more, so I got 2 more, then by the time I sold the truck, I had a 250 amp ambulance alternator, 8-12s, 3 amps and a few other tid bits. Be sure you get a little more than you want. If you only want a little bump, its not going to be a big deal. If you want to suck the air out of your lungs, its going to get a little complex for a first timer.
And if you want good deals, go to www.cbrstereo.com
Ive been buying from them for about 5 years now. About 5 amps, about 15-20 subs, and other misc equipment. All good and all with warrantees. They sell it all wholesale so stay away from best buy and circut city...I dont know anyone that ever walked away happy after one of their installs.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

1) it can take up the whole trunk
2)I want it to be real load so i can feel it and have people hear it out side the car
3)no more then 2000
4) i would probly have my bro in law do it if he cant then professionally
6) i want it to be good all around but have alot of bass

Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Warning - bass is the very worst sound possible for your ears.

Quick Reply: what system to put in a 97 jeep grand cherokee