Best quad for inexperienced wife??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quad for inexperienced wife??

Try a Prairie 360 4X4, not to big not to small, or if she wants to go a little more sporty, shoot for a Scrambler 500. Automatics are the way to go for the wives[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer

Wow, you guys are good. I didn't expect so many responses. Alot of good points too. Me being able to ride it, and the auto tranny are big. I didn't think 4x4 would be a need, but now I will add that to the list(Thanks Alaskaboy) not enough seat time for me up here yet to know what is really needed.
My friend has the Kawi 360, it seems pretty big. She is only 5'5 and about 100 and something lbs(in-case she reads this) I guess I should have her run mine around the house and see how she does on it.

Thanks
Doug

Alaskaboy thanks for looking.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

My wife is 5'2" and 100 lbs. soaking wet and she loves our Scrambler. She can handle it just fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'd let her drive the Vinson for a while, never mind around the house, let her try it on some trails with somebody, maybe you on the back. I'm just over 200, GF has no real problems handling the 400 with us both on it. Only time she has a hard time is slow going over hard ground with lots of turns, she finds it hard on the shoulders and arms making the turns. Then again, she's getting stronger because of it too.

Tires will make some difference, some tread patterns turn easier than others. I'd avoid anything with a super aggressive pattern. That kind of tire is hard to turn, and when it spins and then hooks up, delivers quite a jolt to both her arms and the drivetrain. I'm talking about something like Bearclaws, etc. I've got the OEM Goodyears on the Honda, and while they aren't the best tire out there for traction, they ride reasonably smoothly on trails, and still dig in the dirt.

As for full-time 4x4, if she can recognize a tough section of trail coming up and engage 4x4, part time should be fine. Most people, you'll notice I refrained from limiting it to women, are smart enough to remember the last time they got well and truly stuck and plan ahead after that.

The weight of the quad doesn't make a huge difference. I'm a pretty able lad, and the Honda is one of the all-time lightweight 4x4 utility quads, and when it's stuck in a hole, I'm looking for the nearest tree to hook onto. What I'm saying is, she's not going to lift it out of a hole, and neither am I.

Let her try out a few quads, see what she likes, I'm guessing she's going to be running it for quite a few years. Try and find a dealer that has somewhere you can actually take a bike out for a little while, and see how she likes it other than in a parking lot. I was lucky, the dealer I got the Honda from has a location near an abandoned rail line with the rails and ties removed. I spent the better part of an hour riding the Foreman, and generally getting muddy before I decided to buy it. Mind you, it was a used machine, but most dealers will have a demo you can try out under "real" conditions.

Point out to her the things she should be looking for, then let her try the ones that fit that bill. The one that she comes back with covered in mud and water and still grinning will be the one.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It really depends on the price range you want to stay within. I think it would be good to get a semi-auto so she can learn how to shift. Then that may someday lead to a quad with a clutch. The auto would be good if she refuses to learn. Quads like the Ozark and Recon are decent but when you add weight to the back (on the smaller models) it hurts the handling. I would get something a little bigger like a Rancher. It really depends on how much you want to spend. New or used.

I would buy a machine that would get her and your child to and from safely. 4 wheel drive will help her drive safe.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, I am going to let her try mine and my friends Prarie 360 4x4. Not sure what I want to spend, just want to make sure I get the right machine for her the 1st time.

Doug