Need a new computer?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new computer?!

yea ms is good for games, but linux is coming into its own, with bzflag, cube, vegastrike, xtux, freeciv, and some others, linux is getting close to dominating all aspects of computing. note getting close

Old 04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

oh, i was talking to mnfriesen in my last post

Old 04-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

getting close...then microsh!t will notice that they are edgind nearer and nearer and then will hit them up with some stupid lawsuit...can we say monopoly?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'd highly recommend building your computer over buying one from dell, etc. On Dells and stuff they cheap you out on the thing the average computer guy fears, motherboards. Processors: Amd athlon xp's are faster than pentium 4's. Like say you get a 1.8mb amd and a 1.8 pentium 4 the amd will still be faster. Around 2mb processor sounds about like what you need. If you get an amd athlon, get the Volcano 11 heatsink and fan. It's got sensors that will detect the heat of your processor and when running programs like video editing software and stuff the fan will speed up to make sure your processor is running as cool as possible. Plus, it's really quiet. Or you could always just go with a water cooled case, but again that sounds like overkill.
Ram: I'd recommend going with one stick of 512mb or two sticks of 256. I'm running a little over a gig of ram right now, but that's way overkill for MOST (video editing and website stuff it helps out alot).
Motherboard: All depends on what kind of processor and stuff you're getting for best performance, DO NOT BUY a CHEAP MOTHERBOARD. You will regret it later.
Power Supply: About 400 watt power supply should suffice.
If you're worried about sound quality buy one of the more expensive sound cards, same for vid cards. I'm not going to go too in depth with those, there's a million of them out there.
Hard Drive: Depends on if you're going to be doing any video editing or anything like that. If you're not doing anything too much I'd recommend going with an 80 gig hard drive or so. If you are doing any video stuff go about 180gigs.
I tried not to get too in depth if you want any more specifics or anything pm me. That all should run you around 1200ish or so, depends on how much you shop around. Try
price watch. another great site your best bet, formerely known as googlegear Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

My hp is pretty powerful but im to tired to tell you what i got. I need a new video card..

Old 04-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

actually we have more then one computer..but the hp is the best out of all them... I have two OLD computers...I mean pre pentium 1. well I cant say that for sure because I would have to look see what they are...but we also have a laptop which is my sisters...and I shall be getting a new laptop at the end of this school year also....at one point in time I think I had enough parts to build like 2 other computers but I gave the parts to our school...Out school is poor so I kinda scrap together parts and then use them to rebuild/fix the computers that we do have...quantex...need I say more?

Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
Originally posted by: Jarod
thats a good joke. lol man...
heres a better one...MAC ALL THAT WAY!!
lol. the greatest

Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

funny vid

this is a funny video...posted on another topic but still funny

Old 04-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

me and my old computor had a small disagreement and it is in computor heaven now. i replaced it with a lap top and wouldn't go back. i got the wireless hook up so now i can take it anywhere in the house and even outside while i'm on the internet. may not do what your wanting but you should check them out. it great being able to take it with me anywhere.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

what

Quick Reply: Need a new computer?!