OT: Associates Degree?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004 | 01:54 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default OT: Associates Degree?

Is Associates degree worth receiving? Im about to finish my first year of college and I was going to attempt to earn a Associates of Science in Computer Programming, will it be worth it? Anybody have a associates degree out there actually making money?

Old 04-26-2004 | 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

An associates will make you money, but if you want some real coin you need a bachelors or Masters which requires an associates.

What I would be worried about is the Science in Computer Programming. A lot students think this is a fun an exciting job but the truth is that there is a fast burnout rate in programming, even worse is the fact that a lot of these jobs are being outsourced to third world countries that will do the work (programming) for a fraction of the cost.

I'm learning this the hard way, I work for a software company and I'm not walking away from this industry, I'm running.

Old 04-26-2004 | 02:34 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

After 3 classes of C++ I switched my major!!!!! Man I hated that stuff. Ended up with a degree in Healthcare Administration, and now I work for a University. Go figure.

Old 04-26-2004 | 02:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

well,,,,,if you are only going to do two years,,,,,you may as well have a piece of paper to show for it (associates)

Old 04-26-2004 | 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

This computer programming stuff sound cool and cutting edge but it is tedious and boring. To top it off there are over million programmers in India that will do the work for $2-3 per hour.

Right now I manage a website for a graphics software company, this includes creating graphics, html, ASP and Java coding. In the time I have been here, I've seen guys that where making $70,000 in the late 90's as programmers, working a salesmen at electronics shops and peddling cellphones after the dot com bust.

This got me thinking about my future, if I lost my job right now I would never be able to make the money I do for what I do.

Now I am back in school full-time, busting my a$$ and trying to get into dental school.

It's hard work but it will pay off.

Old 04-26-2004 | 05:46 PM
|
Trailblazer

DAMNNNNNNNNNN lol Yall gave me some great news!!!!!!! Well I took Intro to Visual Basic, College Algebra, and Operating Systems this semester. I enjoyed Visual Basic, there were some days it got boring but I got back into it the next day. I love messing around with computers but the way yall are talking it makes me second guess a lil. I was looking at the Computer Science Program at ECU and kinda thought about getting my Bachelors in Computer Science. But thats alot of programming also. College is so frustrating when your working and just dont know what to major in!!!

Old 04-27-2004 | 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

You can also look into the associates in CIS (Computer Information Systems) which is transferable to the bachelor's in MIS (Management Information Systems) and is more of a business degree with accounting and computer OS training. This is more of the boss or superevisor position that can be applied to many different computer related jobs or any management positon as computers are always going to be part of the work place now.

Old 04-27-2004 | 02:23 PM
|
Trailblazer

Yea that was what I was going to Major in first, maybe I should reconsider. Appreciaite the replies.

Old 04-27-2004 | 05:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Suzuki587
Yea that was what I was going to Major in first, maybe I should reconsider. Appreciaite the replies.
Here's some advice when considering a major:

Go for something you actually have an aptitude for, DO NOT GO FOR MONEY ALONE.

Go for something that is actually in demand and will likely continue to be in demand.

Go for something you like because chances are you'll be doing it for the rest of your working life.

I'm a structural engineer and have spent several years in college and do pretty well for myself. All of the above apply to me.

My wife is an insurance broker and makes more money than I do, sometimes a lot more. All of the above apply to her except...she does not have a college degree.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Again, don't let money be the number one motivating factor or you will likely end up disappointed with your decisions.

Old 04-27-2004 | 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Software isn't boring, if you're doing the right kind of work. But an associate's degree really will just get you a grunt job. Need at least a bachelor's, preferably a master's. Masters isn't hard to get if you've already done 4 years.

Biggest question should be - are you having a good time? If you aren't, then find something else to do. No point in hating your profession if you have a choice.

The outsourcing thing will fade out in a year or so - companies are beginning to find that there are real communications difficulties, and no way to monitor project progress from half a world away. You may save $100k by going to India, but if the software doesn't meet expectations, then you just threw $100k away. Dopey midlevel managers have to learn this the hard way, though...

Quick Reply: OT: Associates Degree?