Carpenters help............

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005 | 10:50 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carpenters help............

Thanks a bunch guys!!!! I really appriciate your support and help. I am very willing to work as hard(or harder in most cases) than the next guy. I like to keep my eye open, to see what needs to happen next(to keep the process moving).......and I don't mind grabbing a board for someone, or even tending them all day with boards........I am very willing to start at the bottom(where I'm obviously already at).......so hopefully these guys will hire me on, and it will be a learning experience(good)......and I can provide them with some good work and get some stuff done. I'll call him tomorrow.

I do have to ask a few more questions though........Some of these tools you guys are naming off are only needed a few times a day(or less), so what do I do with them........do I buy a little tool bag, and keep my tools in there?? I mean, I can't see carrying all of these tools in my pouches. I realize you have to carry a lot of tools, but some I can't see carrying.

Will I use the catspaw(nail pull) a lot?? Also, I have a 30' tape(made a mistake, not 25').......will that work?? I got a chalkline and some chalk.........I also got some extra blades for my knife. I have about 7 or 8 pencils(framing pencils).......so that should work. What about a 2' square and a level(what size)?? Will I use them enough to justify buying them?? Or will I be able to use the other guys.......

Also, do you guys reccommend that if I get a framing square, should I get some stair guides too?? I have some experience with them......

Old 01-13-2005 | 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

My guys carry thier nail pulls in thier pouchs,if you know how to use the sqaure buy it.
I supply saws,cords,hoses,guns,level,ladders,

If you cant get those hand tools in your pouchs comfortably you probly have the wrong ones
When i started the big cloth bags werent available,so the three pouch craftsman were my fav.

Work with what you have and see what everyone else is useing and get what is best for you
and the job that you willbe doing.

Old 01-13-2005 | 07:47 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

One thing I learned working with a friend who has his own plumbing business. If you're on a job site and see a Craftsman tape someone has thrown out because it's broke, pick it up. It's not the brand he would use, but someone is always wanting to borrow one. Take it to Sears and they'll replace it. The good thing is, if they borrow it and don't bring it back, you're not out of anything. He must have a dozen or more on his truck.

Old 01-13-2005 | 01:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Thanks a bunch guys!!!! I really appriciate your support and help. I am very willing to work as hard(or harder in most cases) than the next guy. I like to keep my eye open, to see what needs to happen next(to keep the process moving).......and I don't mind grabbing a board for someone, or even tending them all day with boards........I am very willing to start at the bottom(where I'm obviously already at).......so hopefully these guys will hire me on, and it will be a learning experience(good)......and I can provide them with some good work and get some stuff done. I'll call him tomorrow.

I do have to ask a few more questions though........Some of these tools you guys are naming off are only needed a few times a day(or less), so what do I do with them........do I buy a little tool bag, and keep my tools in there?? I mean, I can't see carrying all of these tools in my pouches. I realize you have to carry a lot of tools, but some I can't see carrying.

Will I use the catspaw(nail pull) a lot?? Also, I have a 30' tape(made a mistake, not 25').......will that work?? I got a chalkline and some chalk.........I also got some extra blades for my knife. I have about 7 or 8 pencils(framing pencils).......so that should work. What about a 2' square and a level(what size)?? Will I use them enough to justify buying them?? Or will I be able to use the other guys.......

Also, do you guys reccommend that if I get a framing square, should I get some stair guides too?? I have some experience with them......

get yourself a rubbermaid tub with a cover on it,,,,and keep your tools in there when you arent using them (weatherproof)
As far as what to keep on your person,,,,,,I would get used to keeping hammer, tape, pencil, framing square, chalkline and yes,,,,a cats paw (priceless when needed). The worst is running around trying to find your tools.........keep them on you if you can. (you will figure it all out)

the other specialty tools will come in time,,,,,,,no need to buy everything at once,,,,,start with the basics,,,,,the employer will have the rest

You will find yourself stopping after work to pick up this or pick up that (at the hardware store) so, no worries.

remember measure twice,,,,cut once
be sure to listen when someone is teaching you something

Old 01-13-2005 | 01:14 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Already guys.........thanks for all of the help......I guess I just like to go into something knowing what to expect, so I can be able to get right to work with few questoins asked. Plus, I also like knowledge about what I'm going to do, it makes me feel more comfortable. I am used to wearing my belt(wore it for about 4 months this summer about about a month during december)......I carry my hammer, pencil, knife, speed square, tape, chalkline(and now a catspaw) on me.....I can't see me carrying around a 2ft framing square in my belt, but maybe people do that. I think it would slow me down some, but I might have to get used to it.

Anyways, thanks for all of the help. I sincerely appriciate it......you guys are what keep us young guys going......I have a lot owed to you!!!

Thanks again,
Brad

Old 01-13-2005 | 01:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Already guys.........thanks for all of the help......I guess I just like to go into something knowing what to expect, so I can be able to get right to work with few questoins asked. Plus, I also like knowledge about what I'm going to do, it makes me feel more comfortable. I am used to wearing my belt(wore it for about 4 months this summer about about a month during december)......I carry my hammer, pencil, knife, speed square, tape, chalkline(and now a catspaw) on me.....I can't see me carrying around a 2ft framing square in my belt, but maybe people do that. I think it would slow me down some, but I might have to get used to it.

Anyways, thanks for all of the help. I sincerely appriciate it......you guys are what keep us young guys going......I have a lot owed to you!!!

Thanks again,
Brad

the square you need is called a speedsquare,,,,,its small (about 10" across) and slides nicely between the belt and belt padding on your hip (like a knife and sheath)

Old 01-13-2005 | 01:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol

I guess I just like to go into something knowing what to expect, so I can be able to get right to work with few questoins asked. Plus, I also like knowledge about what I'm going to do, it makes me feel more comfortable.
sounds like you will make a good layout man

Old 01-13-2005 | 03:13 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Bing......I have a speed square........also, one more question.......what is a catspaw?? Is that the little thing with a nail puller at each end of the bar(about 7" long)?? Or is that what we call a flat bar(maybe you guys call it something different than us)??? A pic would be great........

thanks,
Brad

Old 01-13-2005 | 07:11 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Anyone???? I need to know how big of one to get too........also what style.........I think they are the little things like I said......pretty sure they aren't a flat bar.

anyways, a pic would be nice if someone could find one.........I can't find any.........

Old 01-13-2005 | 07:15 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Think I found a pic of one.......or what I think one is..........is this close?? Sears catspaw

Quick Reply: Carpenters help............