Future of ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005 | 11:12 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Future of ATV's

As I was sitting here in my office enjoying my morning yogurt I got to thinking. ATV power past present and future. Where do most of you think ATV horse power is going to go from here? If we look back into the 80’s we see the Quadzilla which as far as I know still puts out the most stock HP and it’s 17 18 years old. So in some ways performance has went up like with the new 450’s but what I’m really wondering is where do we go from here? Do you think HP rating will keep climbing? Go down? Or level off about where they are right now?
Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Old 01-13-2005 | 11:31 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default Future of ATV's

I think about this often to. I don't think no one really has any idea what we will have in 15-20 years. I think the performance level of quads will start to level off in the next few years and you will just start seeing new technological features like EFI, Lighter weight parts, and whatever little thing people can think of. After some manufacturers fill the gaps in there lineups I think we won't see to many new quads just updated ones like MX bikes are starting to do. But overall I don't think we are going to see bigger HP numbers stock, just upgrades to what we got. Pretty soon the clearly good ideas will run out.

I also wonder about MX bikes, they are really advanced now, could there ever be a big change in them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005 | 12:01 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Future of ATV's

I think most of the improvement's will be in suspension component's and lighter material's. As for HP increases I'd say not a chance. And if you have read any of my other post's on this subject you know who I blame for that. C.P.S.C. One of the many reason's I ride dirt bike's. I rode a quadzilla a couple of times, OK, but slow compared to the RM 500.

Old 01-14-2005 | 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Future of ATV's

i also beleave that the hp thing is at tops now. i dont see any company willing to push that much more. now, add carbon fiber( 10 years, when it get cheaper) and reduce the weight about 10 to 20% across the board, and see speeds increase. they are detuning engines so bad now, that they can and eventually will slap in a 1000cc motor, and it will only produce 50 hp, lol.
so, i think the biggest thing in atving in the future, will follow cars, motorcycles, and others, it will be the aftermerket products! company's offering bold on electronics that will add power( better than today) independant suspencion on sport quads that work great, and so on.

Old 01-14-2005 | 11:47 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Future of ATV's

I agree i don't think we're going to see any more HP in quads to come. I think we're going to see ligher ones that handle better.
And maybe motors that are detuned but are built with aftermarket in mind. So with little or no modding the engine becomes a whole new animal.

I do think Utilites are going to keep climbing in torque though. I think we'll see a 1000 CC sportsman sooner or later.

With MX bikes. I think they will push the power up on the CRF250's but the 450's i don't think we'll see get anymore powerful then the powervalve CR500's if that.

I have heard that there working on making the CR YZ KX etc 250's more powerful so they can keep up with the 450's with less trouble.

Old 01-14-2005 | 12:10 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default Future of ATV's

I think the 125's are going to fade out, they seem to be outclassed by the 4-stroke 250's.

Blackraptor, supposebly the 05' CR250 is going to be pretty powerful and have good low end, guess we will have to wait and see.

Old 01-14-2005 | 12:16 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default Future of ATV's

Originally posted by: BlackRaptor

I do think Utilites are going to keep climbing in torque though. I think we'll see a 1000 CC sportsman sooner or later.
I agree, I think sooner.

Old 01-14-2005 | 12:24 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Future of ATV's

Originally posted by: motox26
I think the 125's are going to fade out, they seem to be outclassed by the 4-stroke 250's.

Blackraptor, supposebly the 05' CR250 is going to be pretty powerful and have good low end, guess we will have to wait and see.
I hate to see the 125's die. but i've got such a dissliking for the 4-stroke moto bikes because there a pain to work on. 2-stroke freshen up the top end change oil tighten the power valve now and then and you're rdy to fly.

I would like to see a 150 or 175cc 2-stroke replace the 125 in the 125 class.
I don't think it's fare putting a little 125 with a 250. I've heard good things about the 05 250's they sound awesome. I may have to sell my 00 annd pick one up. trouble is i've got so much money in mods i'm guessing my power is pretty close to the new stock 250's

Old 01-14-2005 | 12:43 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default Future of ATV's

I know what you mean man, I would really like one of the 05's. They have changed so much in such a short time. The only thing I don't like about the 05' CR250 is that they didn't give it the new frame like the 450. Not that it needed it, or anything is wrong with the one they got, but I would like to buy something that is the latest and greatest.

BlackRaptor, besides maintnance, what do you like better about the 250 2-strokes? I am probably going to stick with the 2-stroke MX'ers, but I don't have a lot of time on a 450 to tell the pros and cons. I guess if you can ride, you can make both fast, but Im just curious of different opinions.

Old 01-14-2005 | 01:07 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Future of ATV's

Well here is how I see it

2-stroke 250 VS 4-stroke 450

The 450 is a torque monster and really pulls hard.

But in a moto bike I don’t want torque I want zip. I want to hit that powerband and feel like the bike got it’s 2nd wind. The 250 is lighter much more zip. You won’t ever see free style motocross guys like crusties demons of dirt using 450’s they always use 2-stroke 250’s because of there one two power punch and there lighter. Same thing with SX the 250's walk all over the 450's

The 450’s I will admit are good in MXers because there smooth power makes them hook up better. But I don’t want to deal with cams valves springs timing chains all that extra crap. On dirtrider.net a lot of guys are saying racers are starting to move back to the 250’s even in outdoor which I think is interesting.

2-strokes are so simple and when they break down the 2-stroke is tons cheeper to fix.

And with the new 250’s coming out they will catch the 450’s I think. And I’ve heard Yamaha and Honda are working on a whole new 2-stroke 250 we won’t see for a couple years still.

Quick Reply: Future of ATV's