95 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, $5k, good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 03:53 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default 95 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, $5k, good deal?

I think every manufacturer has had their fair share of flaws in vehicles. I know of some really nice old Ford's, same goes for Chevy's, too. I just like Mopar because around here everyone is Ford or Chevy, and I don't want either! One thing I hate about Ford's is the fact that every hillbilly around here has one and hokie's the hel1 out of it, which gives it a bad name. Oh well, got the information I needed, no more Ford/GM debates for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Depends on the milage. I know of quite a few dodge's around that year that have had tranny problems, but all those were auto's I believe. I drive a 95 chevy short bed 4x4 that has 135,000 sumpin miles on it. My buddy drives a 97 ext cab 4x4 and he likes it (360). My uncle drives a 94 dodge 2x4 auto that he realy likes also. If its what you want, get it. $5000 dont sound to bad. Did you look it up at kbb.com or nada.com?? I just take the number you get from the dealer cost, and the number you get from an individual selling cost, and average them to get a good number. Or call and ask your bank they can tell you if its even in the ball park. You should do a vin check as well.

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:10 PM
|
Pro Rider

MrDumass(haha) yes, I looked up KBB and the dealers asking price is actually lower than retail value. I was wondering about the tranny thing, I think I remember some of the Dakota's tranny's would fail prematurely while under heavy load. I'm thinking if it has less than 120K miles and is in decent shape I'll probably pick it up, if not, keep looking. Thanks for the advice(and laughs!)

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:16 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Yeah definately check the KBB value on it and that will give you a ball park estimate. I myself have always been a Chevy and Dodge guy. But now a days you get your good and bad ones.

Uh-hem, And one thing I would like to put to rest is the the tranny issues with Dodges. Between my friends we have gas and diesel Fords, Chevy's, and Dodges. And Im not joking, out of these, 2 Fords, and 3 Chevy's has had a new or rebuilt tranny. None (one is a standard Cummins) of the Dodges has, and one of the auto Dodges has over 200K on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Is it cause Dodge has better tranies? NO, but my point is you get your good and bad.

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: motox26
Yeah definately check the KBB value on it and that will give you a ball park estimate. I myself have always been a Chevy and Dodge guy. But now a days you get your good and bad ones.

Uh-hem, And one thing I would like to put to rest is the the tranny issues with Dodges. Between my friends we have gas and diesel Fords, Chevy's, and Dodges. And Im not joking, out of these, 2 Fords, and 3 Chevy's has had a new or rebuilt tranny. None (one is a standard Cummins) of the Dodges has, and one of the auto Dodges has over 200K on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Is it cause Dodge has better tranies? NO, but my point is you get your good and bad.
Still on my stock AOD tranny in the f150, I did put a B&M transpack in it and do service the transmission every 10-15k. I think that a lot of tranny problems are from people who think that a auto tranny never needs servicing. Nothing could be farther from the truth especially in a tow vehicle. My 96 chev lumina minivan has 210K on its stock tranny, serviced every 30-35K, i have been told those trannys are good for 125k tops.

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Originally posted by: motox26

Still on my stock AOD tranny in the f150, I did put a B&M transpack in it and do service the transmission every 10-15k. I think that a lot of tranny problems are from people who think that a auto tranny never needs servicing. Nothing could be farther from the truth especially in a tow vehicle. My 96 chev lumina minivan has 210K on its stock tranny, serviced every 30-35K, i have been told those trannys are good for 125k tops.

I always wanted to put one of those B&M packs in the Mustang I had. What did it do for your truck? Yes servicing the tranny is a huge factor in the life of it. Over looked regular maintenance IMO! We had a 90 dodge mini van that had over 200k mils on it, when I thought the tranny was going, but it ended up just being a lil low on fluids. I never, serviced that thing, it was a gift, so we gave it to a large poor (even more poor than me) family. I see it from time to time, dont know if its still running or not. Turns out the people we gave it to dont have a drivers liscense, so it just sits there.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005 | 05:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: MrDumass

I always wanted to put one of those B&M packs in the Mustang I had. What did it do for your truck? Yes servicing the tranny is a huge factor in the life of it. Over looked regular maintenance IMO! We had a 90 dodge mini van that had over 200k mils on it, when I thought the tranny was going, but it ended up just being a lil low on fluids. I never, serviced that thing, it was a gift, so we gave it to a large poor (even more poor than me) family. I see it from time to time, dont know if its still running or not. Turns out the people we gave it to dont have a drivers liscense, so it just sits there.
I put one in my mustang about 28yrs ago. On it I got 2nd gear scratches, very cool at 17. The ford pu got the rv mode instead of the hot rod mod. It gave the truck a whole new personality. Before install it would shift into od at 21 mph. Just putting around town. Now it will hold out until 37 mph. Shifts are much firmer and controlable, for instance when you are pulling a grade it will hold on to 2nd gear almost indefinitely. It seems to know that it is under load and compensates for it.

Old 02-09-2005 | 05:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: MrDumass

I put one in my mustang about 28yrs ago. On it I got 2nd gear scratches, very cool at 17. The ford pu got the rv mode instead of the hot rod mod. It gave the truck a whole new personality. Before install it would shift into od at 21 mph. Just putting around town. Now it will hold out until 37 mph. Shifts are much firmer and controlable, for instance when you are pulling a grade it will hold on to 2nd gear almost indefinitely. It seems to know that it is under load and compensates for it.

Thats what I figured, about the truck, and the car. I still might put one in it this summer. Dad still has it. Fixin her up a lil. 1990 gt convertable. Red and white, white top, white leather interior. Pretty fun car, I'd like to hop it up a lil, he'd prolly like to sell it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005 | 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

the good about the truck is the engine and ability to handle the rough stuff. the 318 is so bullitproof its sick. the least i have ever gotton out of 1 is 235 thousand miles. all miles used for work, under a load. i have never lost a tranny, ( becouse i maintain them) and am pulling a 7000 lb camper with my newest one, a 360 engine though. the problem with the one your looking at is a lift kit, and larger tires. this simply means that the prevous owner used the truck for things that wear trucks out! i would be leary about buying anything modded by the prevous owner. look around, you can find a 94 to 95 dodge with an auto and 4x4 with about 100,000 miles on it for that price. they are the best trucks in the 1/2 ton range though. i have had fords, chevy,s and a few dodges, and the dodges just out perform the others hands down, for similar money.

Old 02-09-2005 | 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a decent deal, wont get the mileage of the honda though.

FORD = Fastest On Race Day
F***ed On Race Day

Quick Reply: 95 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, $5k, good deal?