Will gas prices affect your riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will gas prices affect your riding?

My riding won't change since I only have to ride a few hundred feet to the trails. The sad part
about all of this is that in a few years we will be talking about 2005 like the good old days. I think
the days of cheap gas are over. It seems the media is all over the fact that the world's consumption
is exeeding its capacity to refine oil. This not only affects the price of gas for our vehicles but affects
the price of all consumer goods we buy including food. I heard the average packaged food has about 1500 miles on it before it reaches us. Much gas is used in transporting our food to us and as more people show up on the planet, the more gas we use. Many altenative sources are not efficient enough to make a difference. Growing corn to make ethanol fuel is not going to happen because the land must now be used to feed people, not grow gas. Solar is not going to power the ships that come across the ocean to deliver the cheap crap made in Taiwan that we all buy for some strange reason. Maybe we should all buy products from the country we live in and keep the guy down the street employed. Did you know that plastic is made from petrochemicals which main ingredient is oil? This makes recycling that much more important. I think we all should recycle more and try to use a little less fuel to get to work if we can (carpool, bus, ect) and enjoy the rest for ATV'ing. Maybe if we all would buy our produce and meat from the farmer down the road instead of the supermarket we can make a difference. I don't want to be depressing by any means but the days of doing what we want when we want may be slowly coming to an end. My advise: Ride now, enjoy yourselves and don't worry about the cost. In 30 years your only regret will be not riding more with your family.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I can go out my driveway and ride so NO gas prices will not effect the amount of riding I do.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats one reasome mines frosale , friggin gas

Old 04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

when i think of water powered cars, i think of hydrogen alright, my bad, but they could presurize the steam, like they did way back, but na, it doesn't smell as good, and it prob has no hp or torque.

weak!, bubbles coming out of the exhaust pipe???? please.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

ahh- riding will remain, but heck im getting me one of those tree hugger mobiles, 3 cylinder chevy avon baby! gonna put some rims and exhaust on it. j/k thank fully.

i dont like 12mpg in my truck, but oh well, no worth crying over..

v581

Old 04-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing can affect my riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Quad Patrol

Rising fuel prices won't affect our riding, either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Actually, with the prices as high[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]as they are, we have been riding a lot more anyways[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] When you put it in perspective, Where else can I take my family of 5 and enjoy multiple days of fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that we all enjoy doing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Snow skiing will cost me about $400 (one day) for ski lift tickets, ski rentals and food. A trip to disneyland is about $500 per day[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and, we are not even there yet and no food in our stomach[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Heck, going to the movies is $100 for tickets, popcorn and drinks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] RIDE ON[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

No way!!! I only get to go riding on the weekends so, I haft to say no! Altough I just bought a Ford FX4 this spring that gets about 15mpg! My old Chevy 4.3L would get about 22mpg! Gonna definately miss that gas mileage!

Old 04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Man some of the members weren't around back when gas was 48cents a gallon. I admit I wasn't driving then but I remember my dad cursing because he had to pay 55 cents a gallon once when we were hauling some cattle to auction. I remember him saying he was going to sell every cow we had and get a da#m horse and buggy! I also remember pulling up to the pump one day with $8 in my pocket and pumping $8 dollars of gas in my old mustang. When I went in to pay the man said that will be $16! What? I didn't relize there was a sign that said pay double amount on pump. I should have relized it was taking a long time to fill up. Back then the pumps would go any higher than 99 cents so when the prices went above $1 the pump showed half what the price was. Those were the good ol days! I work in a gas processing plant and even though we don't make or sell gasoline the price of crude oil effects us. The higher it is the better it is for us, pay and bonus wise that is. The down side is that the higher it is the more we have to pay at the pump just like everyone else.

I don't think the prices will effect how much I ride but instead where I ride. We have several parks with 2000 to 8000 acres to ride on within 45 minutes of us. One of my favorite parks is about 1 1/2 hrs away so we won't be going there much. Also won't be going to Little sehara (spelling?) in Ok this year like I wanted, never been to any sand dunes. I drive an Excursion with a V10 thats lifted so the mileage isn't the greatest in the world but I'm not getting rid of it becaue it's one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

No it won't affect my riding. I read an article a while back and it said that if you compare fuel prices today compared to the eighties that according to the rise in the cost of living it is still cheaper now! huh, doesn't seem like it. Oh well, gas is something you gotta have so I suppose if it was 4 bucks a gallon I'd still buy it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Will gas prices affect your riding?