Winch Power & Control Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a superwinch X1 and I would like to mount some type of switch on the handle bar that is easier to use than the ratary switch that comes with it. The customer service at superwinch did say that the X1 draws to many amps for the rocker switch that they sell. They were not very helpful. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

jaybee

Old 10-04-2000, 01:57 PM
MNT
Pro Rider

Cycle Country used the "self-contained" controller years ago. I think they still do. A nice small rocker switch (small wires) mounts to the handlebar and the high current relay box is mounted elsewhere. Mine has been working flawlessly for 4 years. Give 'em a call.

Old 10-04-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaybee, the Superwinch "Handheld Remote Switch Kit, 12'," Part # 1515A, will convert your X1 to solenoid power and control operation. However, the rig is pretty expensive (I imagine it costs around $ 80 or so), and the solenoid box is kinda bulky and heavy; finding a place to mount it might be a problem.

From some of the other posts on this topic, you can see other approaches and solutions--Trailboss450 fabricated a custom solenoid rig with a pair of SPDT solenoids; Kevin_Staton has an ingenious rig using four automobile starter solenoids; MNT mentions a Cycle Country rig (the X1 pulls 200 amps at full draw); while aczr2k and I seek a DPDT solenoid to do the trick--be patient, when we find one, we'll post the details here.

My own rig consists of a Superwinch X2, 1515A Handheld Remote Switch Kit, 12', AND a Superwinch handlebar-mounted rocker switch, wired parallel to the remote switch socket (not as easy as it sounds; had to splice in a SPST rocker switch, mounted on the solenoid box and labeled "Local" (closed) and "Remote" (open), in one of the parallel wires to defeat the shunt in the handlebar-mounted rocker switch when using the remote switch).

You could use any SPDT switch, like the "Normally Off" momentary toggle switch Trailboss450 mentions for the handlebar control; I used a Superwinch rocker because it was available and conveniently mountable, although for this application, the shunt feature complicates installation.

Well, finally, I think I have the best of all worlds--a remote capability when I want one, plus a handlebar-mounted rocker switch within easy reach of my left thumb, hooked up to a 3000 # winch.

Yet, I'm interested in finding the elusive 12-volt DPDT solenoid capable of handling over 100 amps for possible upgrade of winches yet unborn. I'll let you know if I find it!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-04-2000, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

Tree Farmer I called the # you emailed me and yes it was like most places, they get the solenoid from Superwinch and you need two of them to make it work, it consists of two SPDT solenoids linked together. I also called Prestolyte they have a DPDT solenoid for a forklift but the price is $350, more than the Warn. I will continue my search and let you know the results.
Aczr2k

Old 10-05-2000, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

I ordered two SPDT 200-amp continuous duty rated 12V solenoid relays (about $ 20 each), part # 92-20172, from (800) 468-5055. Now, to my "secret laboratory," and, let the experiments begin!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-05-2000, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

OK, OK, You've peaked my interest. Where or who can I get a schematic for this electronic set-up? I am very interested in seeing how others have wired up the solenoids and I am certainly interested in getting rid of the Warn, hard to find a good place for, rotary switch. Can anyone help here?
Does the DPDT solenoid look like two solenoids stacked in one casing with 4 large gauge cable terminals and 4 small gauge switch terminals? When I worked in an auto supply warehouse (20 yrs ago)I came across this type of solenoid. They where outdated at the time and where trying to get rid of them cheap. Could this have been the elusive DPDT solenoid? If it is, had I have know they're worth today, I would have bought the works.

Old 10-05-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, Kevin Staton, that's your cue! I remember the URL accessing those excellent wiring diagrams you sent me, showing how four SPST automobile starter solenoid relays can be used to control and power a winch.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-05-2000, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

hey tree farmer, its really interesting that the 4 ford starter relays is brought up. i gotta tell ya that i made suce a setup for on of my buddys work truck. He had taken an old transit bus and made a work truck for his lawn spraying equip. so he took all the seats out and had some one make him a really kick "draw bridge door" in the rear of the bus. he then took a 1/20 th hp 12 volt dc mortor with a gear reducer to lift and lower it. it worked but it took forever to raise and lower the door, so he bought a 1/5 hp motor and a smaller gear to use and it wouldnt work. so he asked me to look at it and i came up with solution that all the switches and wire he was feeding it with was just too damm small, so i came up with the idea to use 4 ford solinoids, well after some crafty ideas from both of us i made it work after a couple of days. the door went from taking a min and a half to raise down to 10 secs. he figs that he can hit a couple of more yards a day now , so this setup really works, the only thing that i can add to this post with this setup it could cause a prob using this many relays , so much to fail, but after a summer of heavy use(compared to us using a winch)all is well in the back of his truck, good luck boys

Old 10-05-2000, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Robh, I think both you and Kevin are on top of the situation--using auto starter solenoid relays, you've chosen some really reliable hardware--how many times are starters engaged; how few times does anyone have trouble with a starter solenoid? As long as you can make good connections and solid mounts (obviously, with enough room), the starter relays ought to work just fine.

You and Kevin used four SPST relays, Trailboss450 and Superwinch use two DPDT relays; I'm beginning to agree with the parts countermen--an adequate DPDT relay is hard to find!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-06-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

This afternoon I took paper and pencil and figured out the wiring for the 4 spst solenoids and did up a full color schematic on the computer. This schematic does not incorporate a remote switch, but only a single spst center off toggle.
The schematic is saved as a jpeg.
Just checked out a picture of the DPDT soenoid box for the Warn A2500, what a beast! I would probably have as hard a time trying to hide that as I would 4 SPST's or 2 SPDT's.

Quick Reply: Winch Power & Control Solenoid